Kung Lao

Kung Lao was jealous that Liu Kang was chosen to represent the Shaolin in Mortal Kombat instead of himself, remember his MK9 bio? That's why he disguised himself as one of Shang Tsung's guards in the first Mortal Kombat tournament, so that he could still compete in the tournament, and therefore, be able to beat Liu Kang and ultimately become the new Mortal Kombat champion

Last edited:
I like the updated Kung Lao. And since when has he been jealous hearted?. He is loyal to liu kang.

What Metal said.

You could also see his ego rising when he was dominating QuanChi/Shang Tsung/Kintaro. Like his jelousy void had been filled because he felt like he was about to become the MK champion.

I think they made him this way because they wanted to show that liu kang was more the hero then kung lao.

If there is one thing i don't really understand about Kung Lao and his hat is how does he not cut his fingers off catching that razor hat?. lol

I wish kung lao had his mysterious loner vibe he had in MKII. You never see his face and he doesn't talk much and exits the tournament after the grudge match with goro. His goal was avenging his ancestor's honor if he would of used that as his motive for entering MK I disguased as opposed to trying to prove him self I would of been happier. Winning MK II would of been a nice change of pace for the series but like I said I liked his honor fueled revenge quest.

I agree on him having a badass vibe in MK2, but he actually did enter the first tournament in MK9 because he wanted to avenge his ancestors (and prove himself as well)

What I liked most about him was how he was a pacifist, a warrior that only entered the battlefield when needed

Basically, the wiser Kung Lao > arrogant Kung Lao

I agree on him having a badass vibe in MK2, but he actually did enter the first tournament in MK9 because he wanted to avenge his ancestors (and prove himself as well)

What I liked most about him was how he was a pacifist, a warrior that only entered the battlefield when needed

Basically, the wiser Kung Lao > arrogant Kung Lao
Obviously that is your opinion but arrogant Kung Lao was nothing new in MK9. The competition he had with Liu Kang early on was there and so too, was the arrogance. It is later on he became more noble and looked at Liu Kang like a brother. They were just repeating past story lines in MK9 anyway.

KUNG LAO-Shaolin descendant,a member of The White Lotus Society who defeated the 500 year old half-human half-dragon GORO.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

I think they started making Kung Lao a jealous prick in MK:SM. I mean, it was cool for that game. But for him being that way in the main storyline? I'm not really digging it.

I love how peaceful and nice Kung Lao was in his Mortal Kombat Gold ending. I hope to see him like this in the future.