MK2011 Tier List Speculation Discussion

I've seen a couple of other forums having some pretty cool conversation on the matter and would like to see what the TRMK folk think.

It's still pre-game so this is all just speculation/fun but it's nice to discuss what other people's minds deduce from knowing and seeing some things already.
Also feel free to mention some strategies with characters from the demo that you believe will be strong in competitive play and how it'll effect their standing in comparison to the rest of the cast.

Last edited:
Surprise buttsecks will rank in the God tier...

And so will the jab infinites.

SZ will definitely be in the top tier, because the ice clone is a very effective counterattack.

My pre-game tier list from characters we've seen fight:
High Tier:
1.Sonya (her pressure will dominate pro play)
2.Cyrax (His mobility and zoning skills will be amazing)
3.Johnny Cage (pressure + unblockable mixups)
4.Sub Zero (ice clone stategies + high dmg)
5. Kung Lao (dive kick monster)
6. Liu Kang (amazing ways to approach)

Mid Tier:
7.Jax (he WILL grab you)
8.Sektor (difficult to approach)
9.Kitana (decent mobility and combo queen)
10.Ermac (easy setups into juggles)
11.Raiden (mobility god)
12.Kano (decent up close pressure + mobility)
13.Noob Saibot (shadow slide is a safe, very ranged low that is very abusable)
14.Scorpion (dangerous from all ranges)

Low:
15.Mileena
16.Reptile
17.Nightwolf

I seriously think that the pressure characters will run this game. The more I see Sonya's moveset the more I think she is a set above ALOT of other characters.

And as for Mileena, I just find most of her setups into damage to be unsafe.

Surprise buttsecks will rank in the God tier...

buttsecks-avatar.gif

More like broken tier.
PLEASE TONE DOWN SURPRISE BUTTSECKS. It's way too good......

Honestly, Jax seems like he is a better pressure fighter than Sonya, but that may just be the player...

He has a really good combo start up, which is a lunge, and a fair amount of high and low combos.

Yea, I see what you're saying about Jax. No doubt he looks like a beast.
But Sonya looks like she has a frame advantage jab, she has a DIVE KICK like Cammy from SSF4 and like Kung Lao, she could hit confirm combos into a special move that launches(cartwheel), and she is mobile like crazy(unlike Jax). We don't even know what her Kiss thing does. Even if she isn't high tier right off the bat I think I'm going to work to get her there by winning some tournys and crap as her.

The more I watch, the more I think my characters in the end will be Sonya and Johnny and not Kano =(
Hopefully Kano is shown to fight like I want him to once the game is out.

The more I watch, the more I think my characters in the end will be Sonya and Johnny and not Kano =(
Hopefully Kano is shown to fight like I want him to once the game is out.
It's always the player, not the game.

I think that the upwards ball Kano has will likely be a juggle startup, and his standard enhanced will be also.

He could also have short, but very strong combos.

(Jax is one example of quick, strong combo, press, combo. I think Kano will strike a balance between strength and speed, but more on the strength side.)

Interesting speculation there, Circus. I would like to add Kabal into that Top Tier, in addition to what you say; I got a feeling that he is going to be the type of character that punishes ANY and ALL mistakes that players make, and even the pros are going to make one or two per game.

I remember before MVC3 came out

everyone had: Wolverine, spiderman, and X-23 at the bottom....

we all know how that came out

Johnny and Sonya for the win baby! I agree with Jax looking like a beast, but I can't lie he seems super slow. Also Ermac looks like a force to be reckoned with.

From what Ive seen so far I would place my bets on Lui Kang and Noob for the ability to play mind games with your opponents

What I think:

Kabal, Jax, Sektor, Noob Saibot, Ermac Sonya and Kitana will be in the top-tier
Liu Kang, Cyrax will be mid-tier, with Cyrax placing slightly below Liu Kang
Sub-Zero will place higher than Scorpion
Kung Lao will place slightly higher than Liu Kang, or vice versa
Nightwolf and Baraka will be low-tier, with Nightwolf at the lowest

Johnny and Sonya for the win baby! I agree with Jax looking like a beast, but I can't lie he seems super slow. Also Ermac looks like a force to be reckoned with.

Lol, its like we have the same playstyle. I didn't think I was going to fall in love with Johnny's style as much as I have, no matter what happens he's at least going to be my secondary. His unblockable cancels and frame advantage moves are just toooooo sexy.