MK9 Aftermath - Cannon vs Non-cannon - Contains Story Mode SPOILERS

After reading through story mode a few times, I decided to evaluate the character's arcade mode ending. I have listed whether I believe the ending to be cannon, non-cannon, or possible. If the explanation I have provided is actually wrong (as a result of misreading the story mode) feel free to let me know and I will change it. I want to try to keep this thread as up to date as I can until the game's actually release.

Spoiler:

[Baraka_ladder] – Non-canon
Baraka does not kill Shao Kahn.

[Cyrax_ladder] – Canon
The end of Cyrax’s chapter in story mode concludes with him stating that he is leaving the Lin Kuei and Sektor telling him that no one leaves the Lin Kuei.

[Ermac_ladder] – Non-canon
Kitana is mentioned, she is killed in story mode. Credit to Freakality

[Goro_ladder] – Non-canon
Goro does not kill Shao Kahn.

[Jade_ladder] – Possible
It never states that Jade killed Shao Kahn. **Also possible explanation of the mysterious lady in red.

[Jax_ladder] – Canon
It follows the events at the end of the story mode and directly overlaps with Kano’s ending.

[Johnnycage_ladder] – Non-canon
Nightwolf is mentioned, and Cage is said to have killed Kahn. Credited to Freakality

[Kabal_ladder] – Non-canon
Kabal does not kill Shao Kahn.

[Kano_ladder] – Canon
Directly overlaps Jax’s ending.

[Kintaro_ladder] – Not-canon
Kintaro does not kill Shao Kahn.

[Kitana_ladder] Not-canon
Kitana does not kill Shao Kahn.
Kitana is killed in story mode. Credited to Freakality.

[Kunglao_ladder] – Not-canon
Kung Lao does not kill Shao Kahn, and Kung Lao is killed in story mode.

[Liukang_ladder] – Not-canon
Liu Kang does not kill Shao Kahn, and he is killed in story mode.
He may just be unconscious from his battle with Raiden Credited to Freakality.

[Mileena_ladder] – Not-canon
Mileena does not kill Shao Kahn.

[Nightwolf_ladder] – Not-canon
Nightwolf does not kill Shao Kahn, and I believe Nightwolf is killed in story mode.

[Noob_ladder] – Possible
While it mentions that his powers were enhanced to kill Shao Kahn, it is never stated that Noob kills Shao Kahn. It is possible that Noob is the one talking to Shinnok at the end of the story mode, thus the control of the Netherrealm.

[Quanchi_ladder] – Not-canon
Quan Chi does not defeat Shao Kahn.

[Raiden_ladder] – Canon
Raiden’s ending falls in line with story mode. The four warriors could refer to Jax, Sonya, Stryker, and Smoke.
The four warriors aren't anyone in this game because they are "new warriors". Credited to Freakality.

[Reptile_ladder] – Not-canon
Reptile did not defeat Shao Kahn.

[Scorpion_ladder] – Possible
Simply because there is nothing to disprove that this couldn’t be true. I wouldn’t say cannon, though, because there isn’t anything to prove that it could be true.

[Sektor_ladder] - Canon
Sektor’s falls in line with the events of the story mode.

[Shangtsung_ladder] – Not-canon
Liu Kang is killed (or "rendered unconscious" - Freakality) in story mode, and, therefore, does not become a god.

[Sheeva_ladder] – Not-canon
Sheeva does not kill Shao Kahn.

[Sindel_ladder] – Not-canon
Sindel does not kill Shao Kahn.

[Smoke_ladder] – Possible
Simply because there is nothing to disprove that this couldn’t be true. I wouldn’t say cannon, though, because there isn’t anything to prove that it could be true.

[Sonya_ladder] – Canon
Sonya’s ending realistically makes sense of someone who would be in that position.

[Stryker_ladder] – Not-canon
"it says he saved Earth, which means killing Shao Kahn, yet, I COULD see this as a Hercule (Dragon Ball Z) type of ending where he only thakes the credit and that makes me laugh, but it's obviously not that" Credited to Freakality.

[Subzero_ladder] – Not-canon
Sub-Zero is automated (turned into a cyborg) in story mode.

[Kratos_ladder] – Not-cannon
For the obvious reason that you can’t have a cannon ending with a character that is platform specific.

Spoiler:

Jade - I understand where you are coming from; however, the Elder Gods destroying Shao Kahn (which I believe happens) could result in the intense battle that resulted in her being knocked unconscious. Aknowledgement for what you said, but at this time, I'm going to keep hers as possible.

Jax and Kano - Kano's ending is just a further response of Jax's ending. In both ending, Kano is captured. In Kano's ending he espcapes the capture.

Cage - I guess the last heard of him is when he's fighting a giant monster. So he isn't killed.

Kang - While the possibility of what you said is true, if you think about how desperate Raiden was to allow Kahn to merge the realms, it is likely Kang is killed. Nevertheless, I put your thought in the thread.

Noob - I'm going to keep him as possible. While signs would point to an inference of his ending meaning he killed Shao Kahn, it doesn't come right out and say it. Also, Noob would have free access at Quan Chi in the Netherrealm. I don't think Noob would attack Shinnok though, but the mention of Havik also throws things into an odd perspective.

Scorpion - Because we have conflicting thoughts about the actual end of the game in regards to Quan Chi, we will just have to agree to disagree about Quan Chi's death. However, as mentioned with Jade, Shao Kahn's defeat/death could be mentioned here simply because Scorpion was forced to fight in the tournament, and was probably promised redemption, which he didn't get.

I mean no disrespect to you, Freakality. I'm just simply stating why I disagree with some of the things you have said. +Rep for your response and insight.

It would appear, if my analysis is correct,
13 (not including Kratos) endings are Not-cannon
13 endings are Cannon
3 endings are Possible.

With nearly half of the arcade endings being cannon, it would seem that Ed Boon and the MK team are actually making an attempt at keeping the stories from becoming branched out.

Feedback would be awesome.
I hope you enjoy.

Last update: Friday, March 11, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Last edited:
Ok, first, hey, I'm new =D... Been lurking here for a while, but I was intrigued about this, and I wanted to discuss.

(Oh, and by the way Sub_Zero_Wraith, just so you know, it's actually "Canon", not "Cannon", those words have two very different meanings, hehe)

Spoiler:

[Baraka_ladder] – Non-cannon
Baraka does not kill Shao Kahn.

No argument there, nobody actually kills Shao Kahn.

[Cyrax_ladder] – Cannon
The end of Cyrax’s chapter in story mode concludes with him stating that he is leaving the Lin Kuei and Sektor telling him that no one leaves the Lin Kuei.

I agree here as well.

[Ermac_ladder] – Possible
It never states that Ermac killed Shao Khan.

This one is pretty much NON CANON, because Kitana is mentioned in the ending as being alive, and she died on story mode, confirmed by Raiden in the last chapter.

[Goro_ladder] – Non-cannon
Goro does not kill Shao Kahn.

Indeed

[Jade_ladder] – Possible
It never states that Jade killed Shao Kahn. **Also possible explanation of the mysterious lady in red.

Actually, I believe it DOES point to Jade killing Shao Kahn, as it talks about a specific battle that rendered her unconscious, so although it doesn't explicitly says she killed Shao Kahn, from my perspective, it's heavily hinted at.

[Jax_ladder] – Cannon
It follows the events at the end of the story mode and directly overlaps with Kano’s ending.

Actually, this could be canon, BUT, if it is, Kano's one can't be, this ending doesn't directly overlap with Kano's, it actually CONTRADICTS it right at the end, Jax's actually catches Kano, Kano's imprisons Jax.

[Johnnycage_ladder] – Non-cannon
Johnny Cage is killed in story mode.

Ummm, this is the part that got me the most intrigued, as I don't remember any part of the story mode that actually says that Cage is dead... I'd like it if you point me where it is. Though this ending is definitely non-canon, as Nightwolf is mentioned, and Cage is said to have killed Kahn.

[Kabal_ladder] – Non-cannon
Kabal does not kill Shao Kahn.

Agreed.

[Kano_ladder] – Cannon
Directly overlaps Jax’s ending.

Read Jax's refuttal.

[Kintaro_ladder] – Not-cannon
Kintaro does not kill Shao Kahn.

Again, agreed.

[Kitana_ladder] Not-cannon
Kitana does not kill Shao Kahn.

Agreed, but not only that, she learns the truth about Mileena during the Story Mode and well... She DIES in Story Mode as well...

[Kunglao_ladder] – Not-cannon
Kung Lao does not kill Shao Kahn, and I believe Kung Lao is killed in story mode.

Indeed, the first main character to explicitly die in the Story Mode.

[Liukang_ladder] – Not-cannon
Liu Kang does not kill Shao Kahn, and he is killed in story mode.

He indeed doesn't kill Shao Kahn, but he's not explicitly killed, it is implied, but as far as we know he could have just been rendered unconscious because of the fight with Raiden.

[Mileena_ladder] – Not-cannon
Mileena does not kill Shao Kahn.

Agree.

[Nightwolf_ladder] – Not-cannon
Nightwolf does not kill Shao Kahn, and I believe Nightwolf is killed in story mode.

Yep, he died, along with Kitana.

[Noob_ladder] – Possible
While it mentions that his powers were enhanced to kill Shao Kahn, it is never stated that Noob kills Shao Kahn. It is possible that Noob is the one talking to Shinnok at the end of the story mode, thus the control of the Netherrealm.

Well, first, I think it actually points directly at Noob killing Shao Kahn, as it's pretty much the only way Noob could have just go after Quan Chi and Shinnok, at least from my prespective, along with the fact that yes, it points that "he shouldn't have enchanced his power to defeat Shao Kahn", at least I believe points at him defeating him and then going after Quan Chi and Shinnok; and actually, I believe it's pretty obvious (at least to me) that it is Quan Chi talking to Shinnok at the end of the Story Mode.

[Quanchi_ladder] – Not-cannon
Quan Chi does not defeat Shao Kahn.

Indeed.

[Raiden_ladder] – Cannon
Raiden’s ending falls in line with story mode. The four warriors could refer to Jax, Sonya, Stryker, and Smoke.

Indeed, this could be canon, though I don't think the four warriors are anyone in the game, as it does refer to "new heroes".

[Reptile_ladder] – Not-cannon
Reptile did not defeat Shao Kahn.

Yep

[Scorpion_ladder] – Possible

Well, this ending points at Scorpion killing Kahn, it says that "[his] death did nothing to relieve Scorpion's pain", so he did kill him and he got no relief from doing so, so it pretty much makes it non-canon, and also it's pretty obviois (to me) that Quan Chi is alive and well after this game, and yet in this ending Scorpion kills him...

[Sektor_ladder] - Cannon
Sektor’s falls in line with the events of the story mode.

Uh-huh...

[Shangtsung_ladder] – Not-cannon
Liu Kang is killed in story mode, and, therefore, does not become a god.

Well, again, he COULD have been killed, but then again, this couldn't happen for two reasons, Liu Kang didn't kill Shao Kahn, and this ending is pretty obviously a joke ending... Also... this two endings merge together, yet they still mention both characters killing Kahn, that's pretty damn weird...

[Sheeva_ladder] – Not-cannon
Sheeva does not kill Shao Kahn.

Okay.

[Sindel_ladder] – Not-cannon
Sindel does not kill Shao Kahn.

Of course. As as side point, from the dialog, I don't remember her even breaking the spell... Though maybe the death/imprisonment of Kahn did the trick...

[Smoke_ladder] – Possible

Well, the backstory part is obviously canon, as every backtory part of any ending is, but the actual ending is still in question as the "violent death" of Shao Kahn could mean that he either killed him or he just witnessed his death (and that's IF Kahn even die).

[Sonya_ladder] – Cannon
Sonya’s ending realistically makes sense of someone who would be in that position.

I agree, Sonya's ending is pretty possible.

[Stryker_ladder] – Not-cannon
Johnny Cage is killed in story mode.

Again, I don't remember Cage dying in Story Mode, but if he did, please tell me where... Oh and this ending is pretty non-canon anyway, as it says he saved Earth, which means killing Shao Kahn, yet, I COULD see this as a Hercule (Dragon Ball Z) type of ending where he only thakes the credit and that makes me laugh, but it's obviously not that, hehe.

[Subzero_ladder] – Not-cannon
Sub-Zero is automated (turned into a cyborg) in story mode.

Indeed, then again, the backstory element is obviously canon, so Quan Chi did kill the Sub-Zero brothers' family.

[Kratos_ladder] – Not-cannon
For the obvious reason that you can’t have a cannon ending with a character that is platform specific.

Well, obviously, hehe.

Oh, and a side note here, a bunch of the BAD GUYS could have died in story mode, but as we see the story from the point of view of the good guys, they may have not adressed, IN DIALOG, the deaths of the bad guys and we may not even know, if that's true, then another bunch of this endings could be non-canon as well =/.

So yeah, that's my opinion on your conclusions =D, if you could answer me that one question I have

Spoiler:
Where does Cage die?

then I would be very grateful, thanks for reading.