Old schoolers, what do you think of the demo?

JE78

This is the first MK game I have played to any extent since UMK3 and the first fighting game i've played on the PS3. So far its taken some getting used to and I know once the full game is out i'm going to get my ass handed to me online due to all the combos i've been seeing, I mean a 15 hit, 52% damage combo, come on :hail:

With that being said I like the game, it has the old school, MK2, MK3 feel, its not too fast but its not too slow, the moves are taking some getting used to, I'm not going to lie, I really miss only having LP, HP, LK, HP and block to worry about but its also fun learning the new stuff.

I can't wait for the game to come out but I wanted to get some feedback from people on one thing. Do the 3Dish fatality's take away or make the game better you? For me its about 50/50, the fatality's are freaking awesome, but when the camera angles start to zoom in and rotate I get the feeling of all the post UMK3 games and it takes away from the nostalgia factor for me.

those big combos are enhanced moves, you cant pull them off everytime because your bar depletes. so dont worry, it takes a pro to master those big ones and connect the enhanced moves. Mileenas are so far the hardest in my opinion

those big combos are enhanced moves, you cant pull them off everytime because your bar depletes. so dont worry, it takes a pro to master those big ones and connect the enhanced moves. Mileenas are so far the hardest in my opinion

Agreed.
I've been trying to combo in Sub-Zero's Enhanced Ice-slide, but it's a bear to pull off.

For me, the level of difficulty in terms of hardest to least hardest (combo-wise), is:

1) Sub-Zero
2) Scorpion
3) Mileena
4) Johnny Cage

I like what im seeing with the demo and everything else surrounding the game. I have a feeling like I did when i played 1 ,2 , and 3 in the arcades. I like the fatalities how they are now. I still have that same good feeling watching the demo and I think its better that everything has been upgraded

I have no problem with the fatalities moving in 3D for dramatic effect. What's important to me is the game itself is being kept on a 2D plane, which to me, is a gameplay decision. The dramatic fatalities are an artistic choice, and I think the team would have done them in the early MK games if the technology was available at that time.

Overall , really impressed. cant wait to get my hands on the full game. the best fighting game around in my opinion.

Only thing i hope thats improved is the audio , loved the soundtrack on the old games.

This is the exact reason why I had to order the TE because of the controller. I'm too stuck in my ways to enjoy the game w/o having htat button set up.

I'm loving it.

I'm not even concerned about all the BS people are complaining about with the combo damage, xray too easy, etc.

The graphics and gameplay are easily the best in the series. The combo system is what REALLY has me excited.

The audio needs some work though.

I love the overall feel of the game, (esp. the 2D gameplay), but Im having a hard time getting used to the controls. Im an old school MK player myself and not having the simple HP, HK, LP, LK commands are a little distracting. But, like any new thing that I love, I will do my best to master this...I MUST master it, it's Mortal Kombat for f'ing sakes! Im just wondering when I get the TE controller, will that make it easier for us old timers to get into the game? What do you guys think?

I'm a MK1/MK2 guy and haven't had a chance to play the demo. Does it feel similar to the old style gameplay at all? Based on the videos it seems more like Deception which I was not a fan of at all. Are roundhoues and uppercuts still big impact moves or does the gameplay feel completely different?

Even though Street Fighter 4 looks totally different it still has a nostalgic feel and gameplay that is still recognizable. How does MK9 hold up?

I'm a MK1/MK2 guy and haven't had a chance to play the demo. Does it feel similar to the old style gameplay at all? Based on the videos it seems more like Deception which I was not a fan of at all. Are roundhoues and uppercuts still big impact moves or does the gameplay feel completely different?

Even though Street Fighter 4 looks totally different it still has a nostalgic feel and gameplay that is still recognizable. How does MK9 hold up?

Sensei Tanaka is his shidoshi. MK all the way baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm loving it.

I'm not even concerned about all the BS people are complaining about with the combo damage, xray too easy, etc.

The graphics and gameplay are easily the best in the series. The combo system is what REALLY has me excited.

The audio needs some work though.

I am going to reserve my judgement till retail drops and I get my grubby hands on the TE stick. I have some minor complaints and concerns that could be solved by then but JUST based off the demo I dont think its the best in the series, will have to see on 4/19/11.

I mostly like it, and the speed and controls are different from what I thought they would be from originally watching videos.

What I don't really like is that some of the special move inputs are different and have to be relearned from the old games.

Also, everyone has more basics moves and more semi-special moves than the 2d games, and they all are different. This is great if once you master a character and can chain a whole bunch of different attacks with each other, but starting off it's kind of overwhelming, especially once I start to learn 28 characters.

I enjoyed the simpler 2d MK games. I am still very good at them, and kind of sucked in the later 3d MK games, but still enjoyed them. I wanted to get good at this game, but it seems like I need a lot of memorization and dedication that I don't really have time for anymore.

The first few plays weren't that great, but I'm definitely getting the hang of it and I'm becoming faster and it's becoming more fun. Once my friend gets the game, then I'll have some funner competition too. I'm hoping that the training session will help me get better quickly, at least with a select few characters.

I am comboing the best with Scorpion my best being a 11-hit combo but but that extra hit came out of know were. I can usually perform a 10-hit combo ending with a Enhanced Teleport Punch. Sub-Zero on the other hand is taking a little longer to learn.

I have been playing the series since Mk1 and have never stopped. Mortal Kombat is a game that likes to evolve, so it is funny that the team is taking the series back to it's roots. The game is very nostalgic without feeling like a rehash of the originals and introduces new game mechanics that make it feel fresh. We have only got a small taste of whats to come and the game is going to look even better on April 19th. I am impressed.

u can adapt to controls, its the audio that's disappointing me so far

announcer sucks, music is too low, sound fx sound plain, character voice work sounds generic