Old schoolers, what do you think of the demo?

This! I remember standing in line, as a kid, mind you, for the first MK on the Genesis, and hearing rumors of "a,b,a,c,a,b,b". I remember another time standing in-between a Killer Instinct and MK2 machine, each with lines, and I had a quarter placed on each (remember that? lol). People were talking about the latest arcade builds and secrets, and it was just magical. That's the feeling I'm getting with this one, and with this community. Even though the face of the scene has changed (online vice arcade, and such) this one just has that "feel" to it, don't you all agree? Oh, and the "toasty" being back in it? Nice! It makes me want to press down and start when it happens! :D

I have the same feeling for this MK that I did for MK1 and MK2, its that magical feeling you had when you were a kid saving up all your lunch money to dump into the arcades at the end of the week. There can be only 1 MK to rule them all, and that will be MORTAL KOMBAT 2011!

I like this thread because it lets all of us old school MK players to speak our mind. After all, we were the ones who helped mold the MK into the successful franchise that it now is. And of course Ed Boon for sticking with MK for the last 20 years, who would have thought 20 years later we would still be playing MK with the same original crew that made the first game.

I like this thread because it lets all of us old school MK players to speak our mind. After all, we were the ones who helped mold the MK into the successful franchise that it now is. And of course Ed Boon for sticking with MK for the last 20 years, who would have thought 20 years later we would still be playing MK with the same original crew that made the first game.

Agreed. It seems that everything's changing in this world, with the internet and other technology paving a new path for our generations to come. Now, I'm all about tech and am not about to go all "old fogey" and put my cane to this thread, but it really is a shame that our younger Kombatants have to miss out on that arcade experience. While there was nothing like it, though, games like this are really taking a strong stance in replicating that amazing world we got to experience not so long ago. I have no doubt many of us will be online, participating in King of the Hill's, and boring the younger generation with stories about our glorious memories...while schooling them, of course! :)

i wish i could tell you! they dont have the demo out on Xbox yet -__- i swear i feel this game should just be an exclusive to the ps3, i can understand exclusive characters, even tho i dont agree with them, but i mean come one NRS if your gonna make a multi plat game, have the same date for the demo! its the LEAST you can do.....

i wish i could tell you! they dont have the demo out on Xbox yet -__- i swear i feel this game should just be an exclusive to the ps3, i can understand exclusive characters, even tho i dont agree with them, but i mean come one NRS if your gonna make a multi plat game, have the same date for the demo! its the LEAST you can do.....

Reality check junior, the corporate suits who actually make these decisions / deals with Sony and or MS dont care if its not fair.

I never thought I'd say this but Scorpion is now officially one of my favorite characters in the game! I can't wait to team him up with my other favorite characters such as Jade and Mileena.

My hands still are not liking this game with the regular dpad controller. I never played any MK variation on the home systems much, so I'm still getting adjusted. Here's my blog-ish review, so bear with me if you don't mind a violin and wall of text.

I finally got to purchase my PS3 yesterday afternoon after participating in a market study group for Volkswagen of America (got paid $300 for doing so, woot!). Set everything up, but due to some NCAA basketball, I didn't get but a chance to mess around w/ the game but for an hour or so. I went w/ Scorpion first off and basically played w/ him the whole time. I guess I'm comparing analog to digital in a sense, but the basis that I have to compare is the pre-set combos that were first used in MK3. I'm still having to get used to the layout, but the timing is rather funny, inputting the combos almost before the game actually performs them. And I found myself actually doing D to B HP more for the teleport move for Scorpion, and that kept ****ing with me. And now I can see what those complaining over the jump kick, teleport, spear combo are saying.

With that being said, it's going to be a matter of time for muscle memory for the combo timing as I was able to get a bit nasty with Scorpion and bang out like two 8-9 hits. Some may poke fun, but that's a lot for me and the first time playing the game, much less owning a PS3.

Overall the game brought back many feelings of the old MK in general that I remember most from the early arcade variations. I know it's a demo, but I'll reserve on commenting on the sounds that many have mentioned on here. I enjoyed MK4, but seeing the classic characters back in this 2D setting is refreshing as can be. Full time CGI was bugging me initially compared to the digitized live action, but the detail is there anymore w/ the computer power so I'm used to that already.

Overall, the demo's got me stoked for the full version, even moreso when I get a proper joystick with the button layout that I'm looking for.

I'm beginning to think the only reason they changed the buttons to FP, BP, FK, BK is because Ed is a Tekken fan (not that there is anything wrong with Tekken). The classic High/Low attacks would have worked just fine in this new game.
Also the jab traps are annoying, and I'm really worried that all of them won't be taken out or there will be similar problems with frame advantage/hitboxes.

BUT other than that the game is fuggin awesome and I can't wait to get my hands on the final version!

The more I play the demo, the more I like it, but still it doesn't have that "some moves can connect and it feels like it wasn't intented" feeling that MK2 had. You can feel each and every move is carefully planned and you can't do much other than what the devs allow you to do.

Still, it's a pretty darn cool demo.

I have to actually agree with you here, Moon! We old-schoolers can get nitpicky, but it's only because we love our franchise so much, and we have some fond memories that we want to see replicated for the newer generation.

When the original Street Fighter II came out, combos were found by players, and they were completely unintended. Every one of them. Capcom didn't even know what a combo was! But they were found in the system, and it was a catalyst to the making of Killer Instinct, and all the way up to the recent MvC3. When Boon and Tobias created MK and MK2, they didn't actually intend combos that much. They did provide code that permitted juggles, which is something that Capcom didn't have and actually helped differentiate MK from SF, but the fun was trying to keep those helpless bodies in the air as any attack that could be landed would connect.

Yes, some of that magic may be left out of the new MK, but you have to admit that it is a lot of fun, and the slow pacing of it is exactly reminiscent to MK2. I'll bet we can learn some things in this system!

Oh, by the way, remember that with age comes wisdom and patience. I say this in response to the thought that kids can pick this up and just unload their learned combos and school us old-schoolers. Remember that fighting games, unlike the shooters that foul-mouthed 8-year-olds are notorious for being annoyingly proficient at these days, absolutely RELY on head games. It takes some manipulation and deception to keep things in control, and it's something that those same 8-year-olds just won't get because these are lessons that come directly from maturity. When you can move your guy an inch forward and get that kid to jump on a dime, reacting to the possibility of a move you just used right after such a gesture, there's no better feeling, and you know as well as I do, that's a very old-school mentality to have. It's in there, my friend. Have hope...there's a good feeling surrounding this one! :)

haha, funny find.

I wont lie, I was slightly disappointed with the demo, after I played it with everyone. I got a bit ahead of myself at one point and thought OMG AWESOME!1!!11 because of the greatness of Scorpion's gameplay (easily my fav out of the 4 available on the demo) but I wont bash the entire game until I play it in full. I have hopes that the small things I didn't like about the demo would be fixed for the full home version.

Well I got to finally play a little bit of the demo. About an hour the first night and close to an hour or something like that the second night with my friend. Considering I was pretty effed up on Jameson playing with my buddy and couldn't even handle the simplest commands, I'll try to base my opinions off of the first night.

Overall, it's decent. More decent than I originally gave it credit for. But it's far from being the perfect MK or "best MK ever" that a lot of people on here are saying. The game animated nicer than the videos for sure but I personally still didn't like the animations too much. I still consider them somewhat stiff and clunky. I still consider the jumps floaty. I still think some of the physics are odd. I don't know. I'd say it plays more like one of the 3D MK games on a 2D background. That the best way I can describe it and that's just how it feels to me.

The other thing that I couldn't stand (and admittedly, I didn't really practice too much) was the timing on moves/combos. I think I got Scorpions deep jk > teleport > spear to work only once or twice. Don't know wtf was going on there. Obviously it can be done but I just wasn't landing it in the 15 minutes I was screwing around with him. May need to buffer a lot sooner. Again, timing issue I need to get accustomed to. And Sub's slide doesn't connect OTG? What the hell? I was able to pull off some simple stuff with Cage fairly quickly but the timing is tighter than I expected. I don't have an issue with that though. Just need to practice up more. Cage was the funnest to play for me. He was the fastest out of the 3 that I played with which I preferred. Scorp and especially Sub seemed sluggish to me. I'll tell you this, X-rays are waaaaaaaaaaay too drawn out. It's one thing to watch them in a video, it's a whole other thing to actually do them in a match and sit while they take 5 or 6 seconds to finish animating. Slows down the pace entirely too much in my opinion. I don't care how cool looking they are.

I don't know. Still on the fence about this one. I need to spend more time with the demo when I actually have the time to do it. Right now, it's better than the 3D games but not as good as the 2D ones gameplay wise. I do dig the presentation of it though. They worked their asses off on that. Obviously the final build will be different but I hope that equates to "better". Either way, I'm leaning towards a "Buy" here. Been a long time since I've bought an MK game and I need to get a fix in somehow. That and my brother already considers it a day one buy so I'll have someone to play against.

I need run button.

This x10

haha, funny find.

I wont lie, I was slightly disappointed with the demo, after I played it with everyone. I got a bit ahead of myself at one point and thought OMG AWESOME!1!!11 because of the greatness of Scorpion's gameplay (easily my fav out of the 4 available on the demo) but I wont bash the entire game until I play it in full. I have hopes that the small things I didn't like about the demo would be fixed for the full home version.

Although I'm not digging NRS giving us an old build of Mortal Kombat when there were newer ones rotating around various Game Expo's and the MK Truck Tour, it just gives fans or non-MK fans to an extent a false interpretation of what the final Mortal Kombat is going to be like...

Nothing that MAJOR, I'm just not liking seeing people going around bashing MK because of some flaws in the demo build when they've been improved in other builds, It'd put off some people ( Especially the Hardcore Fighters wanting a "Perfect" fighter ).

I never thought I'd say this but Scorpion is now officially one of my favorite characters in the game!

They made Scorpion a real badass in this MK. Easy to learn and to combo with. I am having some difficulties with Subzero, I need to allocate some extra time for him. In the demo Scorpion is my favorite (that was never the case before, when Raiden was missing in past MK, Subzero was always N°1). But of course as soon as Raiden becomes selectable, scorpion will be history.

I'm starting to believe that Scorpion is going to be the "Ken Masters" of Mortal Kombat when it comes to character selection.

I am totally old school...that being said...from what I can tell playing the demo and viewing the videos... I'm speechless! haha! 2D fighting like 1,2,&3...I honestly feel it was the best decision they coulda made. After the spin offs from 3... I lost interest! That being said...in a way it feels like a "true MK4". I'm so very happy that Boon and everyone forgot about all the crazyness and bullcrap and decided to get back to the root of what made this game "The fighting game of games." I like the fact that we now can have the option to have some serious kombat...but also have the option to just be silly and have fun when we feel like it. I guess what I'm trying to say is...I fell in love with 1...I fell in love with 2...3 was incredibly groundbreaking...and I feel that MK9 will make me feel the same way the others did...completely overcome by it's "badassness" hahaha!

FLAWLESS VICTORY!:twisted:

The demo was pretty good. The fighting and player movement is fluid, much faster than 1,2, and 3. The combos are crazy and the fatalities look great! Thank god they switched back to a 2D fighting plane. The 3D fighting just doesn't work well with MK. After a decade, they finally got MK right! I got the PS3 just to play MK9 lol and maybe BFBC2 :D

everything about the demo is great....have to get use to making combos...now i can and i still practise a bit everyday to be "perfect" with these four characters till the game is out