Old schoolers, what do you think of the demo?

Thats kinda pathetic dude. Adaptation is good for you, you'll never grow as a human being if you just stay in your comfort zone. It's time to shake things UP!

OHHH that's very helpful. I was treating the cancels like Capcom style and was having trouble getting combos to come out consistently. I'll try approaching it with Namco style, see if that helps.

you obviously missed the part where I dont really have the time to make that big of a degree of an adaption to a video game. if it was less, id have no problem

My comments/rebuttals have been placed in bold italics into the quotes above. But really, fans like you are an endless reminder why dev teams don't listen to the fans.

So far, the only 'problem' I've found with the game is that their link combos use the same input system as the other 3D MKs did. Which is to say, you don't push the button when the attack comes out, you push it all in sequence long before the moves appear on-screen. 'Buffer combos' if you will. It makes the timing difficult to grasp, intuitively. But I can get used to it. Because I adapt.

Glam I have +repped you! Your awesome dude! :):):)

as the mk announcer would say "WELL DONE!"

I think it has the small character size again like in the old games during gameplay. But of course when it's fatality time, there would be an up-close look in the action, which I really like a lot.

My comments/rebuttals have been placed in bold italics into the quotes above. But really, fans like you are an endless reminder why dev teams don't listen to the fans.

So far, the only 'problem' I've found with the game is that their link combos use the same input system as the other 3D MKs did. Which is to say, you don't push the button when the attack comes out, you push it all in sequence long before the moves appear on-screen. 'Buffer combos' if you will. It makes the timing difficult to grasp, intuitively. But I can get used to it. Because I adapt.

in what u said about his friends would only play SF... wouldnt you then include soul calibur in that? they didnt change the button layouts as far as i recall, and i still think the game is amazing. in fact its the same with tekken as well (altho i do feel tekken got stale).

I'll say up-front that I haven't read through this entire thread and it looks like I've missed some good arguing back and forth. But to answer the original question.... I'm an old school MK fan since the first one relased in the arcade... didn't hardly play any of the 3D ones (so MK to me is still all about MK, MKII, & MK3)... and I absolutely LOVE this game. Been playing it for a week now and the short version of the story is I love it. Played it with a buddy last night (he's oldschool too) and he loved it.

So from my perspective, old schoolers love the new MK!!!

I am satisfied with the demo, not thrilled yet and that's how it should be. I'll be thrilled when I get the whole game. They gave us a taste of things to come but not too much. The gameplay is fluid, it needs some adaptation time, but that's the case for all fighting games.
I only have one problem: the announcer's voice... either he is sleeping or he don't gives a dime about the fight. STEVE RITCHIE !! HELP !!!!

Been playing since 92 and like some, I feel that MK2 was the high point in the franchise. Just played the demo for the first time at a buddies last night and I walked away impressed. The graphics are crisp and the flow of the game feels good. I like that it allows the mixing and matching of moves to finish combos off. The finishers are downright awesome. All that said I do think there is room for improvement.

Ever since last E3 when Ed revealed that they wouldn't be using the classic button layout I was a bit worried. Now after playing I can say I think they should of stuck to the old style. It does feel similar but the layout is distinctly different. As a Sub-Zero fan Ive had his slide firmly memorized as back+LP+BLK+LK. Now its a back, forward move? In the short time I had to play I found that I was forgetting to use his slide since the input was different. Not a big thing but there it is all the same.

Also I thought it was strange that I'm not allowed to do a simple jump kick followed by a sweep, with SZ at least. Tried it quite a few times last night even with the opponent in the corner. Come in and connect with a deep jump kick and the sweep (back+O) doesn't connect, it just passes through the opponent? Odd.

All in all I am happy with how its turned out. I'll stick to it regardless of the changes, it's just too much fun.

Last edited:
Well said Glamador +rep

I understand some complaints but some of you guys are taking this a bit too far.

Saying that old school fatalities felt like you were an "spectator to a live event" instead of how they are now that feel like "some orchestrated bloody execution" goes to show how ridiculous some of this complaints are (I'm looking at you MoonQuake)

MoonQuake you said you worked in the game industry for 5 years? With opinions like those I wonder exactly what you did there. Too much nitpicking my friend....how about if you just remove that dildo up your ass and actually try to enjoy the game for what it is.....something NEW with a bit of OLD MK in it.

well this thread has gone to the shitter. :/

Dont get us old school MKers wrong, we love the game, we just need some of these minor imperfections addressed and we have a winner, This can be the perfect mk game if they will just fix these things, Faster gameplay, sound effects, announcer, more blood, new and better fatality music, and special punch moves with punch buttons not kick buttons, that is confusing

Dont get us old school MKers wrong, we love the game, we just need some of these minor imperfections addressed and we have a winner, This can be the perfect mk game if they will just fix these things, Faster gameplay, sound effects, announcer, more blood, new and better fatality music, and special punch moves with punch buttons not kick buttons, that is confusing

Well, that thread went to the shitter for one reason:

You can't just give your opinion without some "I know it all" jumping in and saying that you suck.

"What??? You like the color RED but would prefer it darker? What the fkcu is wrong with you!!!!!!!!1!1!!!!!!!!!! RED is perfect the way it is, get used to it, RED FtttWWWWWW@@!!!@!@!!!!!! Don't say I'm wrong, just go for RED!!!!!323#@$@#$@"

And that pretty much sums it all. :)

On a closing comment, if people can't read paragraphs of more than 3 sentences and understand what an opinion is, artofgarduno did a great job with the short and very easy to read paragraph that sums it for old MKers like me.

END of the babalities.

I've been playing MK since 92' and in my opinion, what the demo shows is outstatnding, the gameplay, music and overall atmosphere really takes me back to the MK II era, minor details are the announcers voice, it sounds too much like MK Deadly Alliance, but it does'nt bother me too much, and the fatality sound bit could really use a change(though I( know its wayyyy too late.) I was really hoping thay'd use the sound bit from MK 1, Dunnnnnnnnn-Dunnnnnnn-, or even MK IIs fatality sound bit. but these are all minor things.
Alot of the combos I'm used to don't connect (sub-zero's jump kick/slide) but I'm having a ball learning new combos. I overall can't wait for this game, its been years since I've been this excited for a video game and with good reason. I must say it seems NR studios has really outdone themselves, and us old school MK fans are in for a real treat come mid-April!

What I Like:

Visuals though there could be abit more blood splattered on the ground are overall VERY impressive no fault there

Gameplay is also close to perfect i admit its MUCH better then i expected,

What I Dislike:

Music is way too low and sounds pretty shit from what I can hear too come on Dan you're letting yourself down here

Lack of anouncer makes MK lose some of it's signature familiarity it just doesn't seem right....

Fatalities one word "BORING" too late to fix em but man this is really guna hurt MK 2011 overall because fatalities is and always has been a major attraction of MK and this game just doesn't have it YAWN.....

What I Like:

Visuals though there could be abit more blood splattered on the ground are overall VERY impressive no fault there

Gameplay is also close to perfect i admit its MUCH better then i expected,

What I Dislike:

Music is way too low and sounds pretty shit from what I can hear too come on Dan you're letting yourself down here

Lack of anouncer makes MK lose some of it's signature familiarity it just doesn't seem right....

Fatalities one word "BORING" too late to fix em but man this is really guna hurt MK 2011 overall because fatalities is and always has been a major attraction of MK and this game just doesn't have it YAWN.....

agreed, especially with the sound point, i thought i was the only one noticing that the overall sound is way too low. you can compare when you see the "kombat kontinues" video. its way louder

agreed, especially with the sound point, i thought i was the only one noticing that the overall sound is way too low. you can compare when you see the "kombat kontinues" video. its way louder

A lot of people here complaining about some sounds being too low, but hey, that's why we have sounds options. In AC2 and MvC3, I thought the background music was too low, so I adjusted it to be higher than the rest of the sounds. There's no sound options in the demo? Well, that's ok, so these complains are directed to the demo, and not to the final game, because it'll certainly have sound options.

About the fatalities, for the hundreth time, we've barely seen the fatalities, there are a lot more that we haven't seen, some previews of the game already said several fatalities involve burning, exploding and stuff like that, and apparently some characters will have three fatalities. Oh, and let's not forget DLC fatalities!

A lot of people here complaining about some sounds being too low, but hey, that's why we have sounds options. In AC2 and MvC3, I thought the background music was too low, so I adjusted it to be higher than the rest of the sounds. There's no sound options in the demo? Well, that's ok, so these complains are directed to the demo, and not to the final game, because it'll certainly have sound options.

About the fatalities, for the hundreth time, we've barely seen the fatalities, there are a lot more that we haven't seen, some previews of the game already said several fatalities involve burning, exploding and stuff like that, and apparently some characters will have three fatalities. Oh, and let's not forget DLC fatalities!

i said overall sound, cant you read?

On my side, the sounds are all very low except the voices.
So when I first launched the game, I cranked up the volume after the ladder... when Scorpion first spawned from the ground, it blew up my sound system. lol

The more I play the demo, the more I like it, but still it doesn't have that "some moves can connect and it feels like it wasn't intented" feeling that MK2 had. You can feel each and every move is carefully planned and you can't do much other than what the devs allow you to do.

Still, it's a pretty darn cool demo.

Last edited:
I'm confused by the negative comments on fatalaties. I think it's just because we've seen some of them MANY times now that you say they are boring. Overall I think they are really good and the stage fatalaties are awesome. Seems like everytime we see a new one leaked online everybody is pretty psyched about it. Just the end video of the demo had some awesome stuff in it... Kanos new heart rip, the lava stage fatality with lava pouring out of eye sockets.... really good stuff!!!

Keep in mind... we will have 26 fighters in this game and each one will have at least 2 fatalaties. So we've seen maybe 20 fatalaties and there are a good 30+ more plus however many stage fatalaties left. I'm pretty sure these will still be a big highlight of the game and not a dissapointment like some are saying.

All I know is I am having friends over day 1 and we are gonna go have some big laughs watching as many fatalaties as we can!