Old schoolers, what do you think of the demo?

u can adapt to controls, its the audio that's disappointing me so far

announcer sucks, music is too low, sound fx sound plain, character voice work sounds generic

How many times do we have to tell you guys its only the demo and not the final build, the final version will have everything ready for us.

Im just wondering when I get the TE controller, will that make it easier for us old timers to get into the game? What do you guys think?

I was going to pre-order the TE but game stop is sold out and I hate Best Buy and I don't want to have to wait for UPS or FedEx to deliver on release day so I just pre-ordered the game and will pick up a TE controller when its sold on its own.....it is going to be sold standalone right?

As for your question, I don't know, I was pretty good with the arcade stick but I was even better with a hand held controller. The new moves and combos are throwing me for a loop, even with the digital controls on the PS controller I can't get them to register every time.

I was going to pre-order the TE but game stop is sold out and I hate Best Buy and I don't want to have to wait for UPS or FedEx to deliver on release day so I just pre-ordered the game and will pick up a TE controller when its sold on its own.....it is going to be sold standalone right?

As for your question, I don't know, I was pretty good with the arcade stick but I was even better with a hand held controller. The new moves and combos are throwing me for a loop, even with the digital controls on the PS controller I can't get them to register every time.

I would think that the controller will be sold later as a stand alone...at least I hope so because I want to buy another one for a back-up.

As for the new moves and combos..they are doing the same to me. I'm using the PS3 controller as well and I just cant seem to input the moves fast enough (esp. the special moves having to push the block button with the last input)! Is this the same for you too, JE78? Who knows...maybe its because just so new to me.

How many times do we have to tell you guys its only the demo and not the final build, the final version will have everything ready for us.

you don't think i know that?...the demo is an early build....i expect things to be fixed to near perfection already......my opinion is based on the demo being played currently

u can adapt to controls, its the audio that's disappointing me so far

announcer sucks, music is too low, sound fx sound plain, character voice work sounds generic

Really? I think the sound design is amazing.
As far as the controls it felt just like MK2 to me. Scorpion felt almost identical to his MK2 iteration, except of course with a lot of additional combo attacks. I had no problems pulling off spears, teleports, hellfire, etc. I can't wait to play the full game!

This game feels like they spliced MKII and Steet Fighter IV and added a hint of UMK3. I like that it's its own game but doesn't complete abandon the old games' influence.

I too miss the old button layout, but the worst thing is that the specials don't always make sense. A lot of the moves are done with the fighter's hand (like Subby's Ice Ball) but the button for it is a kick. That's stupid even if it does mimic the old school movement.

i was telling the guys i was playing it with last night, that is MK2 w/ SF4 dash, MKvDC juggles and UMK3 rules.

The demo is awesome. There is one thing though...if they are going back to MK's roots, shouldn't there be a deep jump kick and special combo? I mean where is Scorpion's deep jump kick and then immediately connect with the spear? No matter how many times I tried, I can't get that combo to work like the old days.

The last thing I'll do is comment on quality based on a Demo from an older build. With that aside, I think the game has surpassed most of our expectations based on content and physics. I particularly like the back/forward punch as opposed to high/low simply because its a lot more realistic. Overall this clearly surpasses anything we've seen from a fighter (SF) included. I can only imagine what the final version looks and plays like.

i was telling the guys i was playing it with last night, that is MK2 w/ SF4 dash, MKvDC juggles and UMK3 rules.

I had a hard time putting my finger on which games, this MK resembles. But you translated it correctly, altough umk3 rules? what do you mean by that?

I'm a oldskool fan, started with MK1 in the arcades and didn't really liked anything after MK4. But.... I can see myself playing this MK for a pretty long while. Its not my "dream" MK so far, but It's a loooooot better than the last few. And..two of the most important things that needed to change in this franchise have been changed;

- no more midway
- return to 2D gameplay

So with that, this game is already a win imo. It's just too bad that they couldn't/didn't do these things earlier, because maybe I would have my "dream" MK today. I'm 30 years old, so I don't know how long I'll be around in this scene. But I'm glad I'm still here to see MK going up and seeing so much positivity around this game..because I (and we) had some rough MK years this last decade.

I would think that the controller will be sold later as a stand alone...at least I hope so because I want to buy another one for a back-up.

As for the new moves and combos..they are doing the same to me. I'm using the PS3 controller as well and I just cant seem to input the moves fast enough (esp. the special moves having to push the block button with the last input)! Is this the same for you too, JE78? Who knows...maybe its because just so new to me.

Its the same with me, I can't input the moves fast enough. For example when i'm using scorpion the most and can't get the teleport to work as fast as most of the people are which is why is blows my mind how people are pulling of the 15 hit combos. I guess I need to work on the timing.

I too miss the old button layout, but the worst thing is that the specials don't always make sense. A lot of the moves are done with the fighter's hand (like Subby's Ice Ball) but the button for it is a kick. That's stupid even if it does mimic the old school movement.

This is also whats getting me. In MK1-UMK3 a special move that had to do with either kick or punch was mapped to a kick or punch button but now it seems it doesn't matter, like a free for all so its hard for me to remember the moves.

i love the graphics.. very nice... character details are at times amazing!! (rips etc), they flex their arms if left stood still !
I like the sounds, realistic punches,and xray sound is brutal!!!
music is too low
announcer sounds like tom baker
NNicce backgrounds!! sh!t all over MK vs DC

the moves are what annoy me the most!!

*Different comands for the specials instead of the same from old games? i mean -using kick buttons instead of punch for sub and scorpions ice ball/teleport???

*Different buttons= (back and high kick =O for a sweep?) should be back and X, coz X is next to square which is a low punch..(triangle being high punch -down and Triangle does uppercut)...

They need to put in a "Klassic" mode. Give us LP, HP, LK, HK, Block, do away with all the fancy combo's and give us the basics. That would be awesome!

I agree Craig, the moves are a pain in the ass and don't make much sense.

I agree, they shouldn't have touched the controls. MK 2 and 3 was the way to go, but what can we do...

Played it just now. Girlfriends brother has PSN+ and he came over. It's awesome. Hopefully the AI is a bit more challenging medium and up in the finished game though. Once you adjust to the speed it becomes a great game. It's nice to see unique normal moves remain and the game is much smoother than MK vs DC. What were all those people talking about when they were criticising the animation lol?

It's so good the gf's brother was hooked in two minutes and he's not even an MK fan.

I love the overall feel of the game, (esp. the 2D gameplay), but Im having a hard time getting used to the controls. Im an old school MK player myself and not having the simple HP, HK, LP, LK commands are a little distracting. But, like any new thing that I love, I will do my best to master this...I MUST master it, it's Mortal Kombat for f'ing sakes! Im just wondering when I get the TE controller, will that make it easier for us old timers to get into the game? What do you guys think?

I have an arcade in the box stick that is very similar to the TE stick. It is worlds better then the baby paddle that comes with the ps3 but it still takes a lot of getting used to. For example, those of us who spent thousands of hours in the arcade playing scorpion now have to get used to using kick (I assigned it to traditional low kick spot) to teleport instead of high punch. Needless to say the muscle memory is hard to overcome and it will take a lot of practice to make it fluid.

Also, since I reassigned buttons to as close as "traditional" mk as possible, its a hassle to translate all the move lists and shit from triangle, square, and circle. It would be a lot easier if these combos were listed in the traditional written manner (backpunch/backpunch/backkick/ instead of triangle triangle square).

That being said, it's almost like playing back in the arcade.

To get an idea of what my stick looks (almost) like check out

http://www.arcadeinabox.com/mk.jpg

Start buttons and such on side.