This demo is KILLING me!!!! Need help!!!

cvan27

Hello all, brand spanking new to the forum.

Right off the bat: I suck at Mortal Kombat. The first one came out when I was like 6 so I couldn't really develop the necessary dexterity to master the game. It was mostly just me and friends messing around with the controls. We knew their special moves but not much after that.

Anyway, I downloaded the demo thinking I'd be able to pull off some major combos. I don't know why I thought this, the videos made combos look so effortless.

As I'm sure you've guessed by now, I CAN'T DO ANYTHING!!! The dash is killing me! It seems like the only way to land a good combo is to be thinking 7 steps ahead, and execute with perfect timing. Not only do you have to land the pop-up, you have to immediately dash, follow up with a couple hits, then perform an enhanced special or X ray! How the hell are you guys doing this????

I really wanna be able to land a sick combo before the 15th. I wanna beat the hell out of my girlfriend's younger brother who thinks he's Mr. Video Game and can dominate anybody in any game.

Thanks for reading and PLEASE HELP!!!

man there's not much to say but, practice practice practice!! its different to any other mortal kombat so even the pro's are gonna be on a learning curve.

Use Johnny Cage. His pop ups are pretty fast and you can pull of a pretty decent combo by just using his launcher (Back + x) and pressing a regular string while the opponent is in the air (pull off a flip kick Down, Back+x for bonus damage and flare :p). If you want I can record some examples for you tomorrow.

Yeah, just practice at it. Find a character that you play well with and start off on the easiest difficulty in the Arcade ladder. Once you beat it, then gradually increase the difficulty as you go on until you can beat it on the hardest difficulty. That's what I did and now I'm able to master it with Johnny Cage and Scorpion.

Use Johnny Cage. His pop ups are pretty fast and you can pull of a pretty decent combo by just using his launcher (Back + x) and pressing a regular string while the opponent is in the air (pull off a flip kick Down, Back+x for bonus damage and flare :p). If you want I can record some examples for you tomorrow.

lol. your video was one that I was repeatedly watching trying to figure out how the hell you did it. Examples would be great man, thanks for taking the time. And thanks to everyone who responded! I'll keep practicing!

practice is the only solution man... find a character that you really like and like her/he's moves and just practice... when i start a combo i always start with a punch from jumping, and a couple of punches, special move, and finish with a x ray..

its the combos really that hard to do?? i am able to play the demo next week and my question is if i was able to pull of impressing combos in MKvsDC do i have a chance

its the combos really that hard to do?? i am able to play the demo next week and my question is if i was able to pull of impressing combos in MKvsDC do i have a chance

they arent that hard to do - the only thing that is hard is coming up with combos on your own - there are no preset combos in this game... so u just have to figure them out on your own

there are like 4 or 5, 3 button strings but as far as juggling and linking stuff together - its all up to the user to create and do

Like for every fighting game, and like most people said, practice is the key. You need to break down the long combos into smaller ones that you can pull off (2-3 hits). When you master 2-3 small combos, you try to link them together into one big killer combo. Besides that there is nothing much you can do. Traning mode is your partner in this.
Enjoy

practice is the only solution man... find a character that you really like and like her/he's moves and just practice... when i start a combo i always start with a punch from jumping, and a couple of punches, special move, and finish with a x ray..

I think this is a bad way for him to start, the odds of him being able to just walk up to anyone and jump up in the air and punch on the way down without someone hitting him is pretty slim.

OP you need to work on the combo's listed in the moves list first. Just them and only them, once you get those down you can start adding enders (special moves) and once you get those down you should be able to start altering the whole combo adding hits in the front and the back of the combo extending it out.

I'd suggest either:
a.) continue practicing with the demo characters (or maybe just choose one to get really good at) until you figure it out,
b.) wait until the full game is released and play the tutorial on there or
c.) rely on every fighters old friend.... BUTTON MASHING! ;-)

And regardless of what option you choose, just make sure you do one thing: have fun! The game is supposed to be enjoyable, so don't fret if you never become a gaming circuit pro. Most never will. As long as you have a good time playing, you're doing something correct.

Watch the combo demos NR released. Break them down into 2 or 3 moves and start from there.

I've been playing for days and still have the hardest time with jump in combos.

I suggest learning the combos in the list first of a character your good with, once you've learned the combos doing pop-ups and everything else is easy, but you have to practice to get the timing down

I finally got Sub-Zero to about a 6 or 7 hit combo (22 - 28% damage).
Timing is everything in combos.

I'm just not at the 11 hit combo area with him, yet.

Once you start getting Sub-Zero's 6-7 hit combos down, he doesn't feel as slow as he's percieved to be.

My view on this new MK is changing I've been playing it for a few hours and I can accept that it is different from MK VS. DC. As to helping you learn how to do combos, my best advice would be to watch the gameplay video of your favorite character then write down the hits in a one by one method and learn them. For example: When you can do say 113, into back, towards, 4 really fast and consistently then link other hits to them till you nail out a decent sized combo string. It takes more time than others to learn this stuff but EVERYONE has to practice like mad lol. Hope this helps.

LORD_HELLFIRE

Thanks for your help everyone! I've been sticking with Johnny Cage thus far. I'm getting better, but still having problems figuring out when the dash is necessary. Also, is it ALWAYS possible to juggle? Sometimes I land Cage's pop-up when the CPU is kinda far away and it makes it really difficult to dash toward and connect a follow up combo.

they arent that hard to do - the only thing that is hard is coming up with combos on your own - there are no preset combos in this game... so u just have to figure them out on your own

there are like 4 or 5, 3 button strings but as far as juggling and linking stuff together - its all up to the user to create and do

thx for answering. if its like this then i have no problem

Keep in mind too that some of the really sick combos we've seen in trailers so far are from the tag matches. Having Johnny cage do his fairly simple juggle starting combos is one thing... but then bring in sub-zero to quickly freeze the opponent in mid air to then have Johnny start a new string is prett wicked. I think we're going to see some crazy stuff when that mode is opened up come April 19... but yeah, it will still take practice.

Kudos to the guys that suggested starting with the characters listed "easy" combos. That's definitely the first step and good advice for the OP!

I'm having trouble with specifically Scorpion on expert. He teleports all about the place and does a bunch of spear combos that I can't block fast enough. Anyone got any tips for beating him?