Purchase Online Rights

XanXic

So I've slowly been reading my way through the COALESCED_ENG.txt file that has appeared on the web that was ripped from the demo and this came into my view.....

OnlinePass=ENABLE KOMBAT PASS
OnlinePassDesc=Enable New Kombat Pass.
RedeemOnlineCode=REDEEM KOMBAT PASS
RedeemOnlineCodeDesc=Get A

Kombat Pass to Unlock The Online Features In Mortal Kombat.
PurchaseOnlineCode=PURCHASE KOMBAT PASS
PurchaseOnlineCodeDesc=Purchase A Kombat Pass to Unlock The Online Features In Mortal Kombat.
FreeOnlineTrial=START ONLINE FREE TRIAL
FreeOnlineTrialDesc=Start Free %i Day%s Online Trial.
FreeOnlineTrialActive=CONTINUE ONLINE TRIAL
FreeOnlineTrialActiveDesc=Continue Free Online Trial (%i

Day%s %i Hour%s Remaining).
FreeOnlineTrialExpired=FREE TRIAL EXPIRED
FreeOnlineTrialExpiredDesc=Free

Trial has Expired.

If I'm reading this right this means you'll have to pay for access to online play. :C

Just thought I'd let you know. I'll post anything else I find promptly

And if anyone sees this as a spoiler somehow :/ I'll throw spoiler tags up.

Read that too and it pisses me off. I have defended the DLC plans when people complain that they are trying to nickle and dime us but if this is true I guess I won't be online.

Hey! I'm a ps3 player! Lol

And this code applies to Xbox 360 as well there are many references to Live and PSN. I'm not saying that it says clearly which one this will apply if it isn't applying to both, but I'm just saying.

I can see it being justified on PS3-only because their online is free but 360 users pay for their online service and it would be shitty to pay a second time. If I need to pay to play MK9 online, I will be selling the game after I beat it. I refuse to pay for one games online capabilities. Which is why I'll never play FF11 even though I love FF games.

This is probably just an Online Pass that comes with the game so people buy the game new and not used, It's pretty much what EA's been doing with all their online games. So don't worry about this.

This is probably just an Online Pass that comes with the game so people buy the game new and not used, It's pretty much what EA's been doing with all their online games. So don't worry about this.

Oh god I really hope that's the case.
**** paying for online if you're a PS3 user. Free online is one of the reasons why I bought a PS3.

But if that's the case, then why does it say something about a free online trial? If you get the game new or used, you should be able to play online as much as you want afterwards without even needing a trial. I really hope they don't treat the online like an MMO and charge people every month for it...

Last edited:
All I know is I'm getting the tournament edition new and I have playstation plus. I better not have to pay shit.

But if that's the case, then why does it say something about a free online trial? If you get the game new or used, you should be able to play online as much as you want afterwards without even needing a trial. I really hope they don't treat the online like an MMO and charge people every month for it...

Well because if you buy it used or rent the game you have a trial to play online and if you like it you buy the online pass.

What EA does is if you buy the game used the code that comes inside the game to activate the online pass is obviously used so you can buy one via the xbox/psn marketplace. (for $10)

Others are doing this to prevent people from buying games used and it seems that NR is doing it too.

So don't worry you won't have to pay a cent as long as you buy the game new.

Well because if you buy it used or rent the game you have a trial to play online and if you like it you buy the online pass.

What EA does is if you buy the game used the code that comes inside the game to activate the online pass is obviously used so you can buy one via the xbox/psn marketplace. (for $10)

Others are doing this to prevent people from buying games used and it seems that NR is doing it too.

So don't worry you won't have to pay a cent as long as you buy the game new.

I really hope that's the case. Wouldn't want them to become like Capcom and charge you stuff that that you shouldn't be charged for (Like Resident Evil 5 and its Versus mode).

So about halfway in it starts referring to the Kombat Pass again. And in the context I can only assume online ID is referring to a PSN account and the signed into Xbox LIVE is clearly for 360. So it seems both systems will need to purchase a kombat pass unless there is a way to get it free or something.

RedeemDLCNeedSignin=A signed in online ID is

required to redeem downloadable content.
OnlinePassPurchaseNeedSignin=A signed in online ID is required to purchase a Kombat Pass.
OnlinePassRedeemNeedSignin=A signed in online ID is required to redeem a Kombat Pass code.
CheckForDLCNeedSigninXenon=A gamer profile signed-in to Xbox LIVE is required to view new downloadable content.
RedeemDLCNeedSigninXenon=A gamer profile signed-in to Xbox LIVE is required to redeem downloadable content.
OnlinePassPurchaseNeedSigninXenon=A gamer profile signed-in to Xbox LIVE is required to purchase a Kombat Pass.
OnlinePassRedeemNeedSigninXenon=A gamer profile signed-in to Xbox LIVE is required to redeem a Kombat Pass.
PurchaseOnlinePass=Purchasing Kombat Pass...
ActivatingOnlinePass=Activating Kombat Pass...
NoOnlinePassFailed=No Kombat Pass found!

Online features will not be available until one has been downloaded and installed on your system.
NoOnlinePassFailedXENON=No Kombat

Pass found! Xbox LIVE features will not be available until one has been downloaded and installed on your Console.

Edit: I found some kind of raw reference that the Kombat Pass system may be like that similar to the VIP system in Bad company 2 where a player purchasing a new version of the game becomes VIP and is given access to free DLC while non VIPs pay a relatively low price. This is BC2's system and I was just describing for those who don't know about it.

Available OnlinePassContent=Kombat PassFreeContent=New Free Content Available

This is just my opinion on what I'm reading. Don't hold me to it. lol

Last edited: