MK 1: Did it ever get a proper port?

[sek]

Reading other threads here made me realize a lot of folks' first MK 1 experience was on consoles, which in turn made me wonder if there was ever a good port of the game released. Some of it was because of hardware limitations of the time, and some because of things beyond control like Nintendo's censorship policy, but none of the console ports did the game any justice. The Sega version was probably closest in terms of gameplay, but the Genesis just didn't have the power to pull off the graphics and sound correctly. The SNES version had the graphics, but the controls were molasses and of course the whole issue with changing fatalities and "sweat".

Even recent releases (included in compilations and plug in devices) don't seem to be 100%, either the audio isn't right or the gameplay speed is off. I seem to to recall the PC version being fairly accurate but it's been nearly 20 years since I've played it. I'm sure even if I could track down a copy it probably won't run on a modern PC correctly anyway.

Of course there's always MAME, guaranteed to be accurate since it's a dump of the arcade ROM, but it always was odd to me the game that started it all never got its just due when it comes to a home release.

Shrug. I owned MK1 on SNES and Genesis. Not sure what other releases it saw. Never really took the series serious until MKII.

Oh yeah, that one was good. Same with the one on Midway Arcade Treasures: Deluxe Edition for the PC.

Pretty sure the Deception Kollectors edition and the MAT Deluxe edition used the same source for MK 1, and it had some missing audio. Still was a pretty good port, but not what I would consider proper.

I guess it remains to be seen. I was going to say the port that was included on the Kollectors Edition from Deception.

Pretty sure the Deception Kollectors edition and the MAT Deluxe edition used the same source for MK 1, and it had some missing audio. Still was a pretty good port, but not what I would consider proper.

Just what would you consider proper then? perfect?

MK deception special edition is really really really close.
On MAME32 is another really good way to play it but i dont recommend it, mame32 is really hard to set up plus it may have virus went you download it like it happend to me, so yeah mk deception special edition is the one to get.

Where actual ports are concerned, the simple answer is no. As previously mentioned, MK1 was initially released for SNES, Genesis, Game Gear and Game Boy, all of which paled in comparison to the arcade version. It was later ported to Sega Master System, Sega CD, Amiga and PC. Again, not even close. The Jakks TV Games port was a tragedy, too. The versions that have been included on compilations and bonus discs (MAT:EP, MAT:DE, Deception) are all emulated versions of the arcade game, but they're not without issues (flickering shadows, missing sounds, et cetera). If I'm not mistaken, I recall at least one of these emulated versions having fewer issues than the others, but I can't remember which. I'd definitely choose MAME over them where emulation is concerned. As far as actual ports go, I always favored the PC version. Not the initial release, rather the re-release on the MK1 & MK2 compilation. While it doesn't work on modern systems, DOSBox easily remedies this.

I doubt we'll ever see another true port of MK1, as it's easier just to emulate it in this day and age. I really wish they'd release MK1 on XBLA/PSN, preferably with online play (why not?) and without the emulation bugs found on the compilation/bonus disc versions (I assume this is what you mean by 'proper', yeah?).

I agree with Jason, both MK1 PC ports were the best, the better being the one on the MK1+MK2 CD.

Besides that, a newer emulated version would be nice and I hope they throw those on the MK9 disc.

MK deception special edition is really really really close.
On MAME32 is another really good way to play it but i dont recommend it, mame32 is really hard to set up plus it may have virus went you download it like it happend to me, so yeah mk deception special edition is the one to get.

I don't really recommend playing MK1 much at all (it's really out-dated), but MAME isn't hard to set up. I didn't get a virus from it and I doubt most other people do; otherwise more people would be telling us not to DL that version of MAME or that ROM.

Yeah, when I'm talking about a "perfect" port, I basically mean one of MAME quality without needing MAME itself. Like Pat said, a newer emulation would be nice and it would be a nice extra for MK9 (I was hoping it would be part of the KE/TE package).

I have up and running MK1, MK2, MK3 and UMK3 on MAME32 in my pc, perfectly :), the only way to enjoy those games in 100% accurate form in home. Except perhaps UMK3, i don't know the quality of the XBOX 360 Port, never played it.

Many people say that the genesis port was the best out of all of them. Despite the graphics being limited

Many people say that the genesis port was the best out of all of them. Despite the graphics being limited

It was great.... 19 years ago, but even then it was FAR from arcade perfect. With that in mind, again, MAME!!!

I was disappointed by the 16-bit ports of MK. The Genesis had the blood and Fatalities while the SNES had near-arcade graphics yet neither played like the arcade. I had certain movements and exploits I could do in the arcade which didn't work on the 16-bit ports so they didn't feel like direct ports to me.

That brings us to the PC version. The first release came on floppies and the graphics and controls were nearly perfect. It was re-released later on CD-ROM and actually had .wav files for the music and sound effects. Some of the sound effects were mislabeled so I actually went in and actually remapped them to the right moments. This was the closest port to arcade by far until MAME came out and now we can actually play the real thing.

Honorable mention goes to Midway Treasures and the unlockable on Deception which are pretty much direct reports despite some sound and loading issues.

Here's how I play at home:
big3small.jpg

photo1.jpg

Sorry about the crappy UMK3 pic. I had her apart that night. I need to get a pic of all 3!

tarmanalf, my envy meter has just went off the charts.:wink:

I'm personally hoping at least Mortal Kombat 1 will be unlockable in the kyrpt for MK 9. Even though UMK3 is my favorite of the Klassic 2d games, the original just hits all the right nostalgia points.