Combo breaker

Young Mage

BANALITY
I have noticed that for a mere fourth of the energy bar, a combo can be broken, both on the ground and the air. This is not good at all for any high-leveled player as members will mostly spam that in order to end damaging combos. For example, in Burst Limit aura burst would knock your opponent away, this feature is similar to the MK9 one, but you could aura guard against it if you saw it coming.

Is there a way to predict and counter those? or...?

Hate to break it to you, but your info is all wrong.

The energy bar is divided into thirds, not quarters; and it takes two-thirds of it to do a combo breaker.

ibtl.gif

:canabis::smokin::stoned:Yep...Your wrong. That would be crappy if that had made it only take one bar out of 4.

For those who played the game: I think the breaker needs 2 bars to be launched but actually takes just one, am I wrong? It would make more sense IMO.

Nope you are correct. 2 bars to initiate the breaker, but the actual breaker only takes 1 bar to perform.

Hate to break it to you, but your info is all wrong.

The energy bar is divided into thirds, not quarters; and it takes two-thirds of it to do a combo breaker.

His point is still valid even if his numbers were wrong.

Personally, I think breakers are the biggest flaw to this game. High-level play means that your defense is as good/better than your offense, so the only people that would need breakers are those that suck.

Personally, I think breakers are the biggest flaw to this game. High-level play means that your defense is as good/better than your offense, so the only people that would need breakers are those that suck.

Agreed.

But... I can't get myself to complain when everything else looks sooooo great!

Well everyone makes mistakes one time or another. It's really, really hard to avoid being combo-ed at least once a match, no matter how good your defense it. And from what I've seen/done you can pull off some pretty crazy stuff. Plus it's not like you have breakers up the butt to use whenever you want. Your bar actually fills up pretty damn fast if you're getting your butt handed to you. It makes it so there's more strategy to the game. Save up for the X-ray move that could get you out of a sticky situation, or use your breaker to get out of this juggle you're stuck in? It's a chess game, really.

breakers are the biggest flaw to this game.

the only people that would need breakers are those that suck.

Thank god you have concurring opinions.

Well everyone makes mistakes one time or another. It's really, really hard to avoid being combo-ed at least once a match, no matter how good your defense it. And from what I've seen/done you can pull off some pretty crazy stuff. Plus it's not like you have breakers up the butt to use whenever you want. Your bar actually fills up pretty damn fast if you're getting your butt handed to you. It makes it so there's more strategy to the game. Save up for the X-ray move that could get you out of a sticky situation, or use your breaker to get out of this juggle you're stuck in? It's a chess game, really.

Exactly, the is the whole point. Punishment. If everyday Joe can break out of a 80% damage combo, what is the point of attempting high-leveled combos? Instead of trapping him, wouldn't i just spam?

I don't know how i feel about breakers...

Sometimes I think they're justified, sometimes I think they sux.

When are they justified and when are they not justified? When you're trapped in a combo and vs you trapped them in a combo? loll

Exactly, the is the whole point. Punishment. If everyday Joe can break out of a 80% damage combo, what is the point of attempting high-leveled combos? Instead of trapping him, wouldn't i just spam?

Well say you perform one and your opponent breaks out of it. Then you try another advanced combo on them, they have already used up their breaker so they will have no chance to break out. Sure the everyday Joe can break out of it once, but after that they won't have much of a chance, know what I mean?

You seem to be forgetting that this game isn't only for high level play. It's for casual players as well. They need to appeal to all demographics. When a noob goes to play online they need to have something that'll prevent them from getting TOTALLY destroyed. They're not gonna wanna come back if they're always getting the shit kicked out of them.

wouldn't i just spam?
Yeah. If you're a dickhead.

You seem to be forgetting that this game isn't only for high level play. It's for casual players as well. They need to appeal to all demographics. When a noob goes to play online they need to have something that'll prevent them from getting TOTALLY destroyed. They're not gonna wanna come back if they're always getting the shit kicked out of them.

This is true as well. Sure it's the first "Tournament worthy" MK, but let's face it not everyone is gonna be counting frames and dissecting the game as much as the serious players. I wouldn't wanna play a game where I had 0% chance of beating someone because they know more combos than me.

i don't see the breaker hate, do you any of you play other fighting games????? while i know breakers are generally frowned upon that is mainly in the SF community, which makes sense because they do not fit the scheme of Street Fighter. Other games however such as Tekken 6 and the recently released Marvel vs capcom 3, both which rely HEAVILY again i emphasize HEAVILY on juggles are in dire need of some sort of combo breakers system.

unlike Street Fighter, both of those games allow for MASSIVE damage output in a single combo, some of them being close to 100% or actually hitting 100% (several 100% combos are present in mvc3) If anything this type of design only encourages mindless play and does not revolve around the strategy and mental type of fighting encouraged by correctly implemented combo breakers. High level play becomes a competition of why can land the first launcher and then juggle their opponent for the entire match literally doing a whole bar of damage. (i'm looking at you Tekken and MVC 3) In high level play not only will this be the standard, since everyone will be able to perform these ridiculous combos, but it also limits the viability of the rest of the moves a character may have, simply reducing the game to a juggle fest.

Tekken has always relied on juggles but never in the same fashion as Tekken 6, I felt this was a misstep for the series. MVC3 has no excuse, the game is heavily modeled off of capcom's recently released Tatsunoko vs Capcom which had a combo breaker system called megacrash which you could use by sacrificing 2 bars of super meter. it's a shame they didn't put this in mvc3. Look at all of the negative backlash MVC3 is getting from the pros and high level community, several of the pros still feel the game is cheap. the damage output is simply too much and it's inescapable once you are in the trap. of course you can say "wElLs doN'T fallz n 2 a combO..DUH. HERP DERP" however that is not very good logic since even the pros make mistakes, (dropping combos, falling into combos, poor execution) mistakes are a natural part of fighting games, and very rarely will anyone play a perfect game, it's just the way they are designed. My point is this....

our beloved MK 9 also falls into this juggle fest category. Which is fine if there is a system in place that prevents matches from becoming a race of "who can land their launcher first and end the round with 1 combo" Based on the gameplay we've seen thus far and potential of the combo vids, plus the discoveries that will be made once actual people get their hands on the game, it's safe to say that without the breaker system this game could become another mvc3 or a tekken 6 (which it slightly resembles juggle wise). Breakers are a good thing for Mk 9 and other juggle heavy fighters. They still are not life savers which some of you are making them out to be (it requires 2 bars of meter) however they can make a difference in key situations and they force players to learn the ins and outs of a character as well as match ups with other characters since they cannot just try and memorize 100 percent combos. Breakers that are designed correctly enforce more strategic play and competitiveness in fighting games which is what most of us want out of this new MK. specifically in mk 9 there is also incentive to not use breakers since you have the possibility of landing a damaging x ray for a comeback. so no matter how you look at it's more than likely players will not and cannot spam breakers. I do not understand the complaints.

hopefully you see my point of view and reconsider your negative view on breakers, they are not "noob tools" but rather enforcers of more strategic play styles that involve more than "Kanz eye lahnds mah launchuurr then wombo combo???"

Reactions: DCP
I'm curious to those who have played it, is the X-Ray move's meter drained if it is attempted and missed? Or do you keep the meter until you pull off the move?