So do you think this game will have a nice competitive scene like SSF4?

Misfortune

Based on everything you've seen so far, do you think this game will be taken as seriously street Fighter. I know its still a bit early but I know some of you may still have an idea of what to expect.

Probably not, because it doesn't have all of the moves that are way harder to perform than it needs to be. I still think MK9 has the potential to be a tournament-grade fighter, well as far as I know because I haven't played yet, but I doubt it would be as popular in the tournament world as SF. I'm not really worried about it though because now I just play for fun.

Well, it got accepted to Evo, so obviously yes. Taken as seriously AS STREET FIGHTER? Probably not because everyone rides capcom's dick for some reason or another. Dont get me wrong, street fighter is fun, but I dont see why its so "brilliant".

Most definitely in my area at least. So I'd imagine in other places around the world it will be too. MK games in the past weren't even considered for tournament play because they lacked the depth that the more technical fighters had. This MK has shown us that they are ready to enter the tourny community. It's why EVO even recognized this and put them in this years big competition in Los Vagas.

This and the inclusion of frame specific punishments, combo branches, and pressure, I seriously can't wait to nerd-out on some frame testing and play amazing people offline/online.

Probably not, because it doesn't have all of the moves that are way harder to perform than it needs to be.

That's not a reason for a game to be tournament viable at all though. What tourny players look for is:

1. Balance
2. Options from different situations
3. Proper punishment in regards to risk > reward and risk < reward
4. A good fighting engine

I know i will. I CAN NOT WAIT. im still playing umk on xbox DAILY just dreaming how silky this game will be. i wish the story and tower modes were so long to finish though so i could hop online immediately

Probably not, because it doesn't have all of the moves that are way harder to perform than it needs to be. I still think MK9 has the potential to be a tournament-grade fighter, well as far as I know because I haven't played yet, but I doubt it would be as popular in the tournament world as SF. I'm not really worried about it though because now I just play for fun.

i agree with this...

Mortal Kombat will be a tournament fighter - and i think it has the potential to be a tournament worthy fighter for a long time. However the street fighter scene is quite large, and it would be hard to top it.

But this Mortal Kombat will have a big and consistant following i bet

I don't see why not. Back in the 90's I was one of those kids that hated SF simply because I love MK. I just feel that SF is unnecessarily complicated and to me complexity doesn't translate to a better game. Like Taj said, MK got accepted to EVO, so I think we're already there.

Most definitely in my area at least. So I'd imagine in other places around the world it will be too. MK games in the past weren't even considered for tournament play because they lacked the depth that the more technical fighters had. This MK has shown us that they are ready to enter the tourny community. It's why EVO even recognized this and put them in this years big competition in Los Vagas.

This and the inclusion of frame specific punishments, combo branches, and pressure, I seriously can't wait to nerd-out on some frame testing and play amazing people offline/online.

Haha same here man, Im not sure if im correct on this but i somehow feel that playing Street Fighter somewhat competitivly will give a slight edge over the newer players when this is release.

Im quite curious as to what the tourny SF players will think about MK9, because lets be honest...to many SF fans their word is absolute. So if lets say Justin Wong or someone says that it sucks...then unfortunatly that will hold back some people from trying this out even if they couldve ended up enjoying it. Hoping for the best though. : )

I don't see why not. Back in the 90's I was one of those kids that hated SF simply because I love MK. I just feel that SF is unnecessarily complicated and to me complexity doesn't translate to a better game. Like Taj said, MK got accepted to EVO, so I think we're already there.

Really? I alway felt Street Fighter to be alot easier than most fighters, but I can understand what you mean

i agree with this...

Mortal Kombat will be a tournament fighter - and i think it has the potential to be a tournament worthy fighter for a long time. However the street fighter scene is quite large, and it would be hard to top it.

But this Mortal Kombat will have a big and consistant following i bet

Ah, yea. Bigger than SF? We could only hope so. It's definitely looking more noob-friendly than SF is so we could possibly get a bigger community at least in the US.

All the people in the Tekken6 community where I live are 100% in agreement that we are all going to take MK to the next level. We didn't even bother with MvC3 because its fighting engine doesn't appeal to most of us. But MK's play style suits us perfectly so even some of them who despise most 2D fighters will take up MK with open arms.

So how many of you will seek out other players in your area and play this game like fighters should be played.....OFFline, hmmm???

I think this game will change the way people look at Mortal Kombat, both long time fans and newbs, in the most positive way possible. It has "tournament fighter" written all over it and I believe it's going to have a very solid competitive scene. Might take some time before people realise exactly how awesome this game will be, but it will happen.

Ive noticed a few similarities between MK9 and Tekken. Should be fun! I know a few of people from the other fighting commuities that are more than willing to try out MK9 but many MvC3/SSF4 players refuse to touch anything not made by Capcom. Whenever i bring up MK its always like: " Who cares dude MK ****ing sucks its all about blood and fatalities how childish is that!" They'll give in though lol. Im sure that they will suddenly have an interest around mid april.

It'll be taken seriously as a tournament fighter, just not by the really hardcore Capcom fanboys.

Ive noticed a few similarities between MK9 and Tekken. Should be fun! I know a few of people from the other fighting commuities that are more than willing to try out MK9 but many MvC3/SSF4 players refuse to touch anything not made by Capcom. Whenever i bring up MK its always like: " Who cares dude MK ****ing sucks its all about blood and fatalities how childish is that!" They'll give in though lol. Im sure that they will suddenly have an interest around mid april.

^^^
This.
They'll give in they just need more convincing. It's understandable MKs have had a really really bad rep for many years.

And yea. There are SOOOO many similarities to Tekken in this game. It's almost like seeing a 2D style Tekken at times, I'm seriously in love.