Is NRS going to give us the shaft?

BBBLP

Robot Rock
I was thinking recently about the DLC characters that would be later added on, and how they would go about including them online. Ed Boon said in an interview that they were going to try to make it so that people can play each other online with a character that only one guy has, (key word being try because he said he has no idea how they will do this). What I'm trying to say is, say I bought Reiko, but you didn't. They are trying to make it so that we can still fight each other, even though Reiko isn't on your disk.

Now my problem with this is that this will either lead to:

A. The dlc is already on the disk ,locked, when we buy the game.

B. Matches will take longer to load since your disk has never encountered this character's data.

C. People wont be able to fight each other if one has a fighter the other doesn't.

Or worst of all, D. NRS will be forced to release a MK super edition later on, like SF4 did.

I'm looking for the interview right now, if anyone knows what interview I am talking about, PLEASE post it.

Yeah I think the most plausible option is the update as we wont simply have to pay for on-Disc content but we can still play online

Could also add in two downloads for the character: One who puts him on the disc so you can play against him, one to download and use him. The first is Free, the second is also hopefully free, but most likely you have to pay for it.

What if the new character data is just a quick online update to all consoles, and then you have to pay to unlock them?

Such an obvious answer. It makes you think why they are having such difficulty finding a solution. They even said "We are trying but we have yet to find out how to possibly go about this" or something like that.

Would this be hard to do for some reason? I don't know too much about how the process would work.

If it is indeed that simple, why didn't Capcom do this? Money? Don't you think WB is going to want some fat loot as well?

Incredibly easy problem to fix. Do what they did with marvel ultimate alliance, the person who doesn't have the character downloads a "preview" so other people can use them while they are in the lobby. or just make an update on live, very simple things to fix.

I can see Ed Boon in his office now twiddling his fingers in the dark while bathing himself in the idea of DLC greed while the uncontrollable cackle of "muahaha...MUahahaha..MUAHAHAAHAHA!!!" grows to unaccountable levels!

Why would NRS or Warner Bros want to profit off of Mortal Kombat? What a crazy idea, I cant think of a single IDEA why one of the oldest franchises' in the history ofdigital entertainment would turn a large profit! Unimaginable!!!!!!

Ed already said the DLC won't be on disc ... My advice to NRS team is:

1) Release the DLC as batches
2) Before the release of a batch, release an update that installs the characters' data on each MK9 owners HDD
3) In order to play as that character, the player needs to purchase a key (like SF4 did). If they don't want to play as them, other players can still fight using those characters.

Assuming each character's data is between 15-20 MB, a batch of 3-4 characters would mean 60-80MB updates. Add some online fixes, and that a 100MB update. Sounds reasonable.

What do you guys think??

Ed already said the DLC won't be on disc ... My advice to NRS team is:

1) Release the DLC as batches
2) Before the release of a batch, release an update that installs the characters' data on each MK9 owners HDD
This was a great idea. As a matter of fact, this is how Borderlands operated until they stopped making DLCs.

3) In order to play as that character, the player needs to purchase a key (like SF4 did). If they don't want to play as them, other players can still fight using those characters.

Assuming each character's data is between 15-20 MB, a batch of 3-4 characters would mean 60-80MB updates. Add some online fixes, and that a 100MB update. Sounds reasonable.

What do you guys think??
Now this part is pointless.

Oh yeah and the xbox 360 has a limit for DLCs and Patch size.

Considering this thread is about NRS trying to find ways to allow us access to material that we haven't paid for, I'm missing the part where they gave us 'the shaft'. DLC, and the payment of it, factors into billable hours of content that goes beyond a paid game. These are people who stay up nights on end creating content for these games. They need to be paid for the extra work, and NRS needs to have a way to pay them. Even in the case of the extra costumes on-disc with SF4, or with games that have dlc on the day of release, these usually represent work where more time or people, were required.

It breaks down to billable hours. You aren't getting the shaft for extra content just 'cause it's on the disc without you having paid for it. You're only getting the shaft if you paid for something, then don't get it.

26 characters is a ton. More than enough.

Well, I think the NRS team deserves the extra money I would pay for a DLC really.
Plus, I think Boon wants to put more characters in. Just not right now.
Just my 2 cents.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about. I you buy Reiko and I don't, then there would likely be a "Free" option for me to download which would allow me to play with people who have DL'd Reiko. It is simple data that is written into the overall code making the character of Reiko visible to me as well as completely interactive. However, I myself would not be able to access the character to play with. Otherwise, if I do not download Reiko or the Free Reiko data I would be filtered out of your Match search options because my version is incompatible with yours.

Many games have this option. As a matter of fact, when I was browsing XBLA today I noticed that Deadliest Warrior recently had an update that introduced 3 new characters to play as. There is a "Free" option to download so that you can play against people who have the characters if you do not want to download them yourself. Not that hard to do. I'm sure NRS will do the same. It's very common.

Like I said, most patches that come out before DLCs are for the people who don't wanna buy the DLC but want to play with people who have it because it gives the game all the necessary information to recognize the stuff that comes in the DLC but not the actual data.

Like I said, most patches that come out before DLCs are for the people who don't wanna buy the DLC but want to play with people who have it because it gives the game all the necessary information to recognize the stuff that comes in the DLC but not the actual data.

Capcom with SF4 had to release SSF4 because of so much piracy on the PC Format of the game, the PC users sealed their own fate and cannot have the Ultimate edition which is SSF4 only available on consoles. i.e. expansion packs were cancelled.

As Mortal Kombat 9 (2011) is console only title there will be no such issue regarding piracy and if PC gets a version, then it will be much later and released through steam as NRS will not fall into the same trap as Capcom did.

If it is indeed that simple, why didn't Capcom do this? Money? Don't you think WB is going to want some fat loot as well?

Capcom does do this with SSFIV costume packs. There is a free download that you can get so you see all of the new costumes when other players use them, and then you have to pay to unlock them for yourself. I'm sure they will also handle MvC3 downloadable characters this way.