Rebuilding Hotaru

Tenkai Hayabusa

After reading the thread "Rebuilding Kai", its given me some inspiration to write a story for Hotaru, since he was a interesting character yet had a very terrible story associated with him.

Hotaru was a samurai leader of the Satsuma clan in Japan. The Satsuma clan valued honor above all else and always strived to help others weaker than them when possible. However these traits of the clan were not always so.

Long ago, when the clan was at the height of the Japanese empire as the most powerful clan, they did all they could to occupy and rule as much land as possible, resulting in many innocent lives of peasants, their wives and children being killed ruthlessly. Eventually the Satsuma clan decided to move their vicious campaign south towards Okinawa and the Ryuku islands that surronded. When they invaded Okinawa, all weapons were confiscated and the practice of martial arts among regular civilians was forbidden.

It is said that a great chinese warrior who wore a very unique hat, along with a group of monks, came to Okinawa by accident. The group were travelling towards another part of China, but were swept by a typhoon in the ocean and redirected towards the southern islands of Japan. When they made port, the group of monks instantly felt the unease of the island and that there was a strange fear in the air. After they discovered the situation of the area, the warrior and his fellow monks began to ally themselves with the local residents and began teaching them their own styles of martial arts that they learned back in China. They taught them how to fight without weapons and how to improvise weapons from their own farming tools when necessary.

After a few years, the residents of Okinawa began to perfect their new martial art and realised that they could no longer be subjects of the cruelty of the Satsuma clan. A rebellion occured in which they eventually pushed back the clan to its roots were it had sprung its conquest. Angered by this act of revolt from the residents, Muramasa, who was the head of the clan at the time, was determined to take revenge and retake control of Okinawa. Muramasa, along with a group of his best samurai, travelled to find and exterminate the mystical chinese warrior and his companion monks. When they were encountered, a strong battle ensued, and the chinese warrior dueled Muramasa head on.

The evil warlord was said to have a truly unholy set of armor that was believed to be impenatrable. Without hesitation, the great monk demonstrated his skills and proved more than a match more for Muramasa, where upon nearing the end of the duel, the monk felt a great evil emulating inside of the Japanese samurai. With one quick dash, the great monk brandished his hat and the lifeless body of Muramasa lay before him thereafter, which showed that true strength can cut through even the strongest armor. After the duel, it had appeared that Muramasa's fellow samurai had been awakened from a trance and realised that they were corrupted by the now dead warlord. For the few months that followed until Japan had restabilized, the mystical chinese warrior and his fellow monks helped the people to restore their land and also helped the Satsuma clan in learning about true honor and respect. As well, the clan decided on a new emblem that would represent them, where the decision came upon a crest of a dragonfly, which in turn also resulted in the making of a new set of special samurai armor to combat evil and help the good.

Hotaru utilises much of his strength from his inner spirit with his values of honor and respect for others. As a samurai, he never hesitates to enter combat even if he knows he is destined to die. He is always keen on protecting those weaker than he is and tries to promote as much repsect to others as possible. At one point, he meets a wandering blind swordsman, who calls himself Kenshi. The blind warrior tells Hotaru of a truly evil man that can conjure and manipulate souls and is the reason why he has been blinded. Instantly, a long lasting friendship is made between the two warriors as they teach and learn from each other the ways of the katana and the naginata. Now, Hotaru embarks with his new ally to help him achieve his revenge and allow justice to be bestowed upon the manipulator of souls.

Special moves: Ill be honest to say that I actually liked Hotaru's special moves, especially his orange lava burst and his grasshoper kick. If Id add something, Id deff want to incorporate some sort of moves with his naginata.

Last edited:
That was awesome. Tell me, is the monk the Great Kung Lao? Because that would be awesome. Man, someone needs to make a whole thread about re-vamping kharacters. Like the Kai story in and this one.

That was awesome. Tell me, is the monk the Great Kung Lao? Because that would be awesome. Man, someone needs to make a whole thread about re-vamping kharacters. Like the Kai story in and this one.

Aha it is the Great Kung Lao, glad you noticed that :) I didnt want to just flat out say, "the great Kung Lao", but instead, I wanted it to be a little more sutble, being the chinese warrior with a unique hat ;) And I guess there should deff be a thread dedicated to revamping characters as you mentioned. Maybe NRS can use some of our ideas for future MK games ;)

This is awesome bro!!! We need more stories like this out of you :)

Thanks so much man, your Kai story was soooooo good!!!!!!!!!! You and I should work for NRS regarding characters' storylines ;)
p.s. Who would you like to see next? I do have quite a bit of free time for the next few weeks and making these stories is kind of fun :)

Thanks so much man, your Kai story was soooooo good!!!!!!!!!! You and I should work for NRS regarding characters' storylines ;)
p.s. Who would you like to see next? I do have quite a bit of free time for the next few weeks and making these stories is kind of fun :)

We should send our threads to them :)

Who I would like to see next from you is Havik.

Check out what me and some other guys came up with ;)
http://www.trmk.org/forums/showthread.php/13221-Starting-the-story-over?highlight=