Rebuilding Kai

BBBLP

Robot Rock
I have seen my favorite 3D character, Kai, get dumped on too much. So I have proposed a new story for him to make him relevant in your eyes :)

Kai was a member of a once powerful tribe in Africa. Many Years before Kai was born, his people lost a turf war with one of their rival tribes. Leaving them in poverty. Maleik, Kai's father, a once admirable warrior of their tribe, taught his son the ways of the African warrior.

When Shaolin monks traveled to Kai's village to offer them aid with food and clothing, they took an interest in Kai. His fast movements and sharp instincts caught their eye. They asked Maleik if they could take him to their temple for training. Wanting a better life for his son he agreed.

There Kai trained with the young Liu Kang and Kung Lao. They were advanced in Shaolin techniques and fighting styles, but Kai presented skills unheard of to them. Fighting on his hands and having unrivaled balance baffled the two young monks. They instantly formed a friendship bordering that of brotherhood. They shared techniques and styles.

When the Abbot discovers Liu Kang's ability to conger fire through his inner dragon, he notices strong untapped chi in Kai as well. Kai, unknowingly, was a member of an ancestral chain of tribal warlords called Vegter Ke Leeu, meaning warrior of the lion.

These men were able to combine their spirits with that of the lions of the savanna. In combat they call upon the lion for strength, and while hunting, the lion calls upon the men for wise tactics.

The monks help Kai channel his inner power. He learns to use, and later perfect, his gift. He is a vital warrior in Raiden's forces of light.

During Kahn's invasion of Earthrealm, Kai's family is ruthlessly slaughtered by Tarkatans. Kai becomes enraged and holds a deep personal hatred for Kahn. He becomes sloppy in his training and starts to lose focus of his morals. Kai, Liu Kang, and Kung Lao enter the third tournament as Raiden's top fighters to stop Shao Kahn once and for all. But if Kai can't keep his anger and emotions in check, he may hinder rather than help.

Special Moves: Kai lunges forward with a glowing silhouette of a lion around him, the lion's paw smacks the opponent across the face and sends them flying.

Kai leans forward and the glowing silhouette forms around him, the lion roars a mighty roar and stuns the opponent if they are mid-close range.

Upper and lower fire blasts come back, but they are gold instead of red.

Here is a video to get you in the African mood, don't watch it, just listen to it :)

I didnt mind kai in mk4 but in mka he was sort of a filler character with lame attacks and his new dreads/beard look and beefed up muscles was horrible and riuined his pretty awesome shaolin bald and tone look of mk4 which was much better, i just lost interest in his character, i like your idea though and love the idea of the lion special attacks as seeing those in HD would be amazing, but why would a shaolin monk have african roots?. Also his fatality where he ripped people in half above his head was my favourite fatality in mk4.

I didnt mind kai in mk4 but in mka he was sort of a filler character with lame attacks and his new dreads/beard look and beefed up muscles was horrible and riuined his pretty awesome shaolin bald and tone look of mk4 which was much better, i just lost interest in his character, i like your idea though and love the idea of the lion special attacks as seeing those in HD would be amazing, but why would a shaolin monk have african roots?. Also his fatality where he ripped people in half above his head was my favourite fatality in mk4.

+rep for being so damn right. I hated his Armageddon costume, it was almost as bad as Jax's alternate in MK:DA.
And I also loved his MK4 fatality :)

I have seen my favorite 3D character, Kai, get dumped on too much. So I have proposed a new story for him to make him relevant in your eyes :)

Kai was a member of a once powerful tribe in Africa. Many Years before Kai was born, his people lost a turf war with one of their rival tribes. Leaving them in poverty. Maleik, Kai's father, a once admirable warrior of their tribe, taught his son the ways of the African warrior.

When Shaolin monks traveled to Kai's village to offer them aid with food and clothing, they took an interest in Kai. His fast movements and sharp instincts caught their eye. They asked Maleik if they could take him to their temple for training. Wanting a better life for his son he agreed.

There Kai trained with the young Liu Kang and Kung Lao. They were advanced in Shaolin techniques and fighting styles, but Kai presented skills unheard of to them. Fighting on his hands and having unrivaled balance baffled the two young monks. They instantly formed a friendship bordering that of brotherhood. They shared techniques and styles.

When the Abbot discovers Liu Kang's ability to conger fire through his inner dragon, he notices strong untapped chi in Kai as well. Kai, unknowingly, was a member of an ancestral chain of tribal warlords called Vegter Ke Leeu, meaning warrior of the lion.

These men were able to combine their spirits with that of the lions of the savanna. In combat they call upon the lion for strength, and while hunting, the lion calls upon the men for wise tactics.

The monks help Kai channel his inner power. He learns to use, and later perfect, his gift. He is a vital warrior in Raiden's forces of light.

During Kahn's invasion of Earthrealm, Kai's family is ruthlessly slaughtered by Tarkatans. Kai becomes enraged and holds a deep personal hatred for Kahn. He becomes sloppy in his training and starts to lose focus of his morals. Kai, Liu Kang, and Kung Lao enter the third tournament as Raiden's top fighters to stop Shao Kahn once and for all. But if Kai can't keep his anger and emotions in check, he may hinder rather than help.

Special Moves: Kai lunges forward with a glowing silhouette of a lion around him, the lion's paw smacks the opponent across the face and sends them flying.

Kai leans forward and the glowing silhouette forms around him, the lion roars a mighty roar and stuns the opponent if they are mid-close range.

Upper and lower fire blasts come back, but they are gold instead of red.

Here is a video to get you in the African mood, don't watch it, just listen to it :)

Really great story bro!!!!!!!!! :) Youve inspired me to make one for Hotaru ;)

Kai would be so freakin' badass with this story and on a 2D plane of movement. I always thought Kai was very underrated and with a revamp, he'd be well-liked by fans.

I think, or at least hope, that he'll be in MK10. Ed Boon sees potential in him; not only did he say that his favorite move from him was the hand stand move, he also said that the hand stand would have been his fighting style in Armageddon had they had the time to implement it correctly. There was also concept art of him in Deadly Alliance's Krypt, suggesting that maybe he was going to be included in Deadly Alliance. What does all this mean? Don't give up hope on him just yet, us Kai fans still have a chance of seeing him in the future. :smile:

But, yeah, great ideas and it inspires me to do a revamp of my own for Reiko.

good story, i just don't like that his moves are totally based on the lion, although I dig the lion coming from him, attacking the opponent.
Also, Kai was supposed to be from Tibet... meaning he's asian, yet Boon continuously stated that he was "African American," which made me always think he was African. I like the African story better. I've redesigned Kai a few times, and also went with the African look/feel/story. Also, his handstand must return!!