Regarding the Arenas, are the mk3 arenas ,really, aesthetically a let down?

spader

BANALITY
Is it just me or does any one agree the mk3 arenas look bland and just plain boring, compared to the mk2 arenas....

compare, the living forrest to the subway, or the garden to the bell tower, khans arena to the street....

the majority of mk3 arenas are TERRBILE... only good one so far is the church....

I dont know, mk3 never sit right with me, it just looked very un-mk...the whole urban earth thing, I think didnt work well at all....and you can see it in the art direction, even now, when in contrast with mk1-2 ...Mk3 falls short in the art direction....

hey dont get me wrong, goros lair, the garden, the pit, khans arena, the church look AMAZING, but the subway, and the bell tower, especially the roof tops and street look HORRIBLE!

the game doesnt look like its sticking to a theme...its all over the place

all the arenas are good but i have to agree the mk3 arenas arent as exciting, but mk2's arenas are more fantasy oriented and the mk3 arenas are more urban and realistic, but in mk9's favour we haven't really seen many mk3 arenas yet, i mean the only view of the street we have is a bunch of 1 second clips of intros, i must say though the belltower and church look amazing (well what we've seen of the church and i love the massive turning cogs in the belltower), they arent better or worse than each other, its just different styles.

yeah but thats my point, there is no clear cut direction for this game, your in earth, your in outworld, your in earth, your in the netherealm, its just like WTF? why?

Im sure it will make sense in the story, I just wish there was a clear cut artistic direction with the game....and you dont have to see them fully to see they lack,
you could see 2 seconds of the forrest or the dead pool, and say it looks good, but the mk3 arenas, look poor

i like all of the arenas from all Mks, except for MK vs DC ones...and i might be in minority of ones, who dislike stages like Living Forest, especially in MK9...dunno, its just way TOO much details LOL...i can't partically explain it, but its something like confusing when you fight your opponent, because of the details of surrounding objects...i like more wide opened exposed (if you can say so) arenas, like Shant Tsung's gardens, The Pitt etc...

A let down? Those are strong words, show me a fighting game with better looking arenas than MK9 has? What's wrong with Subway again? I absolutely love its redesign.

A let down? Those are strong words, show me a fighting game with better looking arenas than MK9 has? What's wrong with Subway again? I absolutely love its redesign.

neither do i understand...i used to like subway stage, it has those mysterious feel in it and it still kept it, so i can't see why someone would complain about Bell Tower or Subway...

I like the variety the MK3 arenas bring, but no they don't look as aesthetically stunning as the MK1 and 2 ones. It's not that they don't look great, I just find indoor type arenas less appealing than outdoor ones personally. However, as I said, they bring a nice variety, I wouldn't want JUST outdoor environments to choose from. The scenery is amazing, but it's nice to have some structures and buildings in the mix, and when it comes to those, the MK3 ones look fine. The Subway looks great, and the stage fatality is awesome. The Bell Tower is ok, it's probably on the bottom of the list for me, but it's still decent. The Cathedral/Church looks awesome, the lighting is superb. Last but not least, the Desert looks cool as well, and I dig the totally unique atmosphere it has, given the sand and wind etc. I would personally love to see a night version of the map, with moonlight and stars in the sky, would look amazing if you ask me.

So yeah, in regards to them not being as great as the MK1-2 ones, I'd agree, but they aren't bad. I am happy to have a few of them in the game. I would love to see the Waterfront, Scorpion's Lair, and Khan's Cave...those were really awesome maps from MK3, that I hope would make the cut. Though, I will be a little disappointed if we don't get the Graveyard and the Wastelands from MK2. As well as the Courtyard from MK1. I'm sure not all of these will make it, but with how awesome the arenas are, it'd be awesome to see as many as possible remade in this game.

courtyad is in, we have the music for it already

the thing is the mk3 ideas of urban setting are good, the idea it self is good, I just dont think its been executed well, they could be so much better

courtyad is in, we have the music for it already

the thing is the mk3 ideas of urban setting are good, the idea it self is good, I just dont think its been executed well, they could be so much better

You're kidding me? I don't think you know enough mk3 arenas. The cemetery is fantastic, it's dark and ominous. Plus, why they hell would you be fighting there in the first place? lol . I don't know if it's going to be in this, but I sure hope it is. Not only that but The Soul Chamber and The Pit3 and Smokes Portal are all awesome. All of those have that mk2 feel.

I love them all so far. I think the Subway looks awesome. Yeah, the MKII ones are generally a bit prettier, but they just have a different setting.

I somewhat agree with the OP, in fact the MK3 arenas look less detailed and interesting than the others, but most of it is due to the different settings.
MK2 has a dark fantasy theme so you can stuff it with so many details and crazy sh!t, while in an urban setting you can just do a reproduction of an actual city.
The worst arena revealed until now IMO is the Bell Tower, the Subway is cool but basically is just that, a subway...

exaclty what I am, saying I think the invasion/earth realm stages could be done well and very detailed I just think they are being done poorly.....As i said the idea is good, the execution is boring for example...the bridge, how much better would it look if it was , say some thing like golden gate bridge, a river underneath, massive pile up of trashed cars with corpses still inside, void of life rotting, bodies every where, the sun just setting or rising, shinning about the water in the back ground, with the rays of light shinning through the big steel frams of the bridge and through the car and their windows.....Or a derolict abondoned housing complex, the roof ripped off raining pouring in the dead littering the streets ....

but no...we get a roof top in broad day light....with a building on fire in the back ground...or a street with some paper blowing around....Hardly seems like they are doing all they can with the concept.....Hence why the arenas and every thing about mk 3 sucked, good idea poor execution

It's because of the urban setting. I feel MK 3's more urban setting isn't as alluring to most people when compared to the other games. The reason I fell in love with Mortal Kombat was because of the Asian influences, the mystique and magic elements.

Another thing I have always found odd is the Subway Arena's Stage Fatality specifically. If the Earth is compromised and everyone's souls except the villains and the chosen earth warriors have been absorbed by Shao Kahn, how are the subway trains still working normally?? You can see in the Jax "reveal footage" the trains are empty.

I hope a lot more of the mystical stages from MK 3 make it into the game.

This is what Arenas I want to see out of MK 2011 that are from the originals. I'm not going to note which ones are confirmed or not:
MK 1 -
Goro's Lair
Palace Gates
Courtyard
The Pit - The original Pit would be nice for post-release DLC and would be awesome if the Garden battleground could be seen from the Pit top!
Throne Room
Warrior Shrine - I really hope Tsung's Garden is not a replacement for the Warrior Shrine. I want to see a stage with multiple past warrior statues. The Garden only has a couple statues in it and they appear to be of only Shokans.

MK II:
All of them. :)

MK 3:
Rooftops - specifically with Kahn's Tower in the background. Also I wish this arena ends up being at night like it was in the original but so far it looks to be during the day :(
Soul Chamber
Bell Tower
The Church
Graveyard
NetherRealm
Desert

alot of the mk3 arenas havent been shown. we havent seen khans throne room. the graveyard. the street hasnt been fully revealed. and we havent seen scorpions lair also. i think these willl be some of the better looking stages in the game