"Mortal Kombat" at BGS - A hands-on

Inmorbium

Since there isn't a similar thread and the MK crew isn't giving us a demo anytime soon, I guess this can be of some use. And obviously, it's for you, who are concerned about the upcoming game and couldn't get your hands on it during certain conferences (mainly PAX Prime and one in Mexico, which I don't remember the exact name):

As I stated earlier in a certain thread, there was some sort of a conference in here called "BGS", during last November (the 20th). It's not old per se, for some obvious reasons...
The main highlight was the MK demo, available for public. But I guess you already knew that.

Hands-on below. Enjoy it:

- The WB stand was way too crowded, plus the lines were simply ABISMAL. 3 versions were available: 2 on the 360 and 1 for the PS3;
- Despite Sonya and Jax being recently revealed (at the time), the build used was similar than that of the PAX Prime's;
- That means the following characters were available for playing: Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Mileena, Kitana, Kung Lao, Nightwolf, Cyrax, Sector, Johnny Cage and Reptile, along with 7 different stages: Kahn's Coliseum, Jade's Desert, The Dead Pool, The Pit 2, Shang Tsung's Throne Room, The Living Forest and The Bell Tower;
- Only 3 modes available: Tag Team, Arcade Mode and Versus Mode;
- They showed us a pretty straight-forward demo. After both the game and the NRS logos show up, we got to choose how many characters were into play, then one of the above modes. Upon choosing all that stuff, the character select screen appears next;

Warning: Due to the constant movement at the WB stand, it was extremely difficult to get a clear shot. And also people from WB were preventing us from taking pictures. But you know: they say you can't stop the internet...

All pictures were taken by me. And yes, I suck at photoshooting. lol:

Click to enlarge.

----

Graphics: Graphic-wise, the new MK is stunning: do not let those YT videos fool you. We all know MK is used as a reference when it comes to good-looking fighting games (especially UMK3 and Deadly Alliance), and this game is no exception. It is possible to note superior graphics than that of SoulCalibur 4: upon releasing, MK 2011 will most likely be the best-looking fighting game so far. How the characters move, background scenario, the characters' moves (keep your eyes wide open should the X-Ray move is pulled off)... Everything runs smoothly.

I hope those images are able to express what I'm trying to say (at some extent):

r7u0k8.jpg

2je1com.jpg

1j22x.jpg

Sound: Oddly enough, we couldn't hear much of it. It could be either some TV issues or the demo itself. Kung Lao's voice is awesome and so are the stages'. It's possible to note some remixed versions kompared to their older incarnations, such as The Pit 2 and The Living Forest.

Click to enlarge.

Gameplay: The heart of any fighting game. Regarding the combo system: the fighter may launch 2 punches/kicks in a row, but the rest is "customizable", so to speak. It is not that hard to get used to it... They said it will please both audiences: the hardcore and the casual player, and they did not lie. Honestly, I kinda got lost during the first seconds, but I somehow managed to win the 2 rounds. After playing it for about 5 minutes, the kombos/moves start flowing naturally.

Personal choice, but out of the 10, Kitana was the best character for me. One of the best choices for those who like to immobilize their opponent. Sadly, I didn't get to play as Cyrax, Nightwolf, Cage or Reptile... Yeah, I'm serious.

Now, the Move List makes a komeback. You can pause the game, check your characters' moves and then mix them all up. The fatalities' command input was similar to every fighter: it was only needed to press Up + Triangle to watch your victim getting decapitated.
We were incapable to face off against the A.I., so I can't tell how hard the game is.

Click to enlarge.

Replay: During the first kouple of seconds, it was like "Wow...!". Indeed, the X-Ray feature, along with the new kombo system takes the fighting into a whole new level. However, due to the limitations of the demo, we couldn't experience it further. For some unknown reason, I didn't get to play the Tag Team mode...

Regarding the 2 versions: I found the PS3 version to be slightly superior, but it's just me. The colors are more well-placed, especially when you take a good look at the stages. The 360 version, however, is a little more darker, which is a good thing for a game like MK.

During 5 P.M., Mr. Sanchez himself was at the WB stand to take pictures with the mortals, as well to give out some autographs. Oddly enough, he does know portuguese at some extent (which you can see on the poster), even though someone had to be at his side to simitaneously translate into english. lol

=====

More pictures from BGS (taken from me):

Click to enlarge.

Originally posted here.

Last edited:
Wow man this is fantastic. Nice work! So basically nothing new lol ;) Great input and opinions too. Im trying to save money to buy this game but im a fulltime business student and it is really hard to save money. 60 bucks can buy alot of kraft dinner and noodles lol. Thanks! +1 for me as well

Wow man this is fantastic. Nice work! So basically nothing new lol ;) Great input and opinions too. Im trying to save money to buy this game but im a fulltime business student and it is really hard to save money. 60 bucks can buy alot of kraft dinner and noodles lol. Thanks! +1 for me as well

From now till release you need to save roughly .83 cents a day.

great post, man the wait is taking a toll on me... when im online im always trying to look for news... im all the way in lebanon, internet speed is shit tooo
all i want is april 19th to come
and quan chi to be announced..

Whoa, thanks for the positive feedback. lol

Actually, there is some new kontent. I might be wrong, but have they mentioned about the Move List feature before?
...Hmm. I also have been informed that there isn't a thread for this particular conference. But anyways, I thought it'd be a good idea to post some impressions from a Trmk member.
Plus, I've read a few other previews, but they were basically saying the same thing. That said, I tried to explain what they didn't.

Last edited:
Nice hands-on!

If anyone is going to PAX East (Boston, March 11th - 13th) we totally need a similar thread detailing an updated hands-on. The build there will most likely be close to the final (unless they choose to save a stable build from an earlier date) and we should get to see a lot more than we currently have from shows like PAX Prime.

Nice! Thanks for the update on the combo system and gameplay especially. I'm glad to know the game is shaping up to the developer's claims for it having the potential to be a hardcore fighting game.

It sure was totally worth it, even though I didn't get to play that much...

I'd describe it as "UMK3 with some little elements from its 3D incarnations, along with brand-new stuff." And this brand-new material could not have come at a better time...
It was a great experience to see the X-Ray feature live: it really triggers your killer instinct , so to speak. The graphics have shown quite an improvement from the previous title (vs DC), and the DS/360-pad gives you a fast responce right away.

Last edited:
good stuff man, hey could you possibly go into more detail about the combo system and did the game run at 60 fps?

Nice hands-on!

If anyone is going to PAX East (Boston, March 11th - 13th) we totally need a similar thread detailing an updated hands-on. The build there will most likely be close to the final (unless they choose to save a stable build from an earlier date) and we should get to see a lot more than we currently have from shows like PAX Prime.

I already got my passes!!! Can't wait. I will try my best to snap some photos

I already got my passes!!! Can't wait. I will try my best to snap some photos

Nice info inmorbium...why does April 19th gotta be so far away?!? Oh, man, Lex_Lutha111384, dude Im so jealous...wish I could join you for Pax East!! Im sure you are going to have a blast and get some awesome pics!! For now I would love just to have any demo of the game to make the wait a little easier!!

Dudes, just look at the damage on the bodies! Johnny Cage is totally splattered with blood and you can see the muscles below the peeled skin. Great effect for the bloodsoaked clothes too, can't fukkin' wait!!!