Arcade Stick - Required?

Immortal Reaver

I'm debating on whether or not to get the arcade stick. For a game like SFIV, it's pretty-much mandatory to use one because of the obscure joytick movements and whatnot. Sure there are still controller players, but for the most part it's pretty much mandatory to use a joystick. But really I've never had any problems using a controller for MK because of the simplicity of things. With a game like MK, how important would it be to use an arcade stick? I think it's mainly there just for people that are used to it and to make it feel like you're playing on an arcade machine.

It's not mandatory but it will give you much more control and precision, expecially if you have a X360 and his worthless D-pad.
I'll plug in my X-Arcade, finally they released the X360 adapter!
In other news, I've just experienced the Red Ring Of Death for the second time and the warranty is expired, so I have to buy a new console: guess if it would have happened right before the game is out...

no game is "mandatory" for a stick. However, learning it can improve your game, and you would see the benefits.

but that doesnt mean you cant be good and become great on a pad.

(this goes for any fighter, MK, SF and beyond)

It was never mandatory for a MK game.

...And yeah, the new MK game is completely playable with the DualShock/360 pad, trust me.

Playing with the joystick is for the real ones who played MK at the arcade since the beginning like me... Just can't wait until april... Scorpion Wins fatality

I didn't think my question deserved it's own thread, so I'll thread-jack this one. Does anyone know about the quality of the Tournament Edition arcade stick? I know no-one's used it, but has anyone used an arcade stick that uses Suzo Happ parts? I've only used arcade sticks in ancient things called "arcades."

I didn't think my question deserved it's own thread, so I'll thread-jack this one. Does anyone know about the quality of the Tournament Edition arcade stick? I know no-one's used it, but has anyone used an arcade stick that uses Suzo Happ parts? I've only used arcade sticks in ancient things called "arcades."

Its gonna be a decent stick right outta the box. Those parts arent top quality, more low end happ parts, and the stick is meh. I definitely suggest having the stick switched out for an IL competition stick and the buttons switched to regular happ convex or concave buttons. IMO.

An arcade stick is never mandatory in any fighting game. It doesn't make anything easier, and while it's arguably more precise, that depends on the stick you're using. For example, you won't get more precision out of an X-Arcade compared to a Dual Shock 3. But a MadCatz TE stick or anything with high quality parts, you will get more precision.

You should go with whatever feels more comfortable with you, because that's what's going to work best. The main advantage non-tournament players get out of using a stick is the button layout, since it's easier for some people to not use shoulder buttons.

The parts used in the official MK stick aren't the best. If you like HAPP sticks, then you'll be okay with it, but you won't really get more precision compared to a Dual Shock 3. I do agree that it's better than an Xbox 360 pad.

For the record, I use a stick for every fighting game except Tekken. I can't use anything other than a high-end Japanese stick/buttons. The low end stuff actually makes me play worse. I use a pad for Tekken because I can perform the advanced movement in the game better. I don't think MK will have any advanced movement. It should control fairly similar to Street Fighter in terms of movement and the amount of precision you need to pull off basic attacks and special moves.

Is this stick realy that special? The last time I've played with one of those was on the arcades ..but if think about it, yes u could be truly faster ..
Are there good ones for ps3? Do they still work under the new FWs? Could u tell me a quality saling shop? (shippin to austria)

I'm just getting the stick for fun, personally. I'm not a high end tournament player, but I do love the joy of playing at the arcades, so it's definitely a cool option to have, to give you that nostalgiac feel. I'll do my best to learn to use the stick right away, but I will most likely end up switching between the stick and the controller here and there depending what mod I am in, and what I am doing. A couple friends of mine are also getting the stick, so it'll be fun trying to start from square one so to speak, because all 3 of us would most likely be on an even playing field in that regard.

As to answer your question, I don't see it being that important really. I'm sure it's all up to what you feel comfortable with, and which style you are faster with. I would most likely benefit most from a controller, because I can do fast thumb and finger movement, but others may be all about the wrist and hand etc. So no, I don't see either one having a huge advantage over the other, nor is it really important in terms of winning. None of MK's inputs or button configs are confusing or complex enough to really warrant the stick making it any easier, such as SF's moves.

the xbox controller is terrible. i have got to get the stick just so i can have a little bit of a chance online

In my opinion, I would definately use stick. Controller is always fun but arcade sticks have somekind of an advantage when it comes to smoother combo dialing.

I was going to buy a ps3 again (mine died) just for this Mortal Kombat game because I hate the 360 d-pad so much. However, when they announced the fight stick tournament edition I went ahead and got it on 360.

I understand if people don't want to use the stick because it does take time to become used to it, but I've spent a lot of time playing an MKII arcade over the last year or so and actually feel better playing with the arcade stick.

I never said it was ACTUALLY mandatory, people. Read the OP before you comment!

Perhaps you should read other people's posts before you comment? You may not have said it was "actually mandatory", but other people did.

The fact that all you got out of the posts in this thread was, "the OP said sticks are mandatory" means you weren't bothering to really read. If you're going to go through the trouble to make a thread asking for advice, at least read everything people have to say.

Hmm, I find arcade sticks make games more fun, but thats from an arcade fanboy stand point. Idk, it depends on what your comfortable with.