Mileena vs Hsu Hao fan art

TioShard

hsu_hao_vs_mileena_by_tioshard-d38ma54.jpg

I'm certainly no K1LLKANO but I think it's decent. What do you all think?

The picture started to frustrate me so I had to leave it with quite a few flaws sorry.

wow this is pretty awesome art work,I dont think this is decent i think its great!!!
everybody does has there own art style

Thanks. Well as long as I know people like my style I'll keep making stuff. I think my style's different because I never got lessons so I never copied from anyone. But I think that's the same reason they're always a bit too flawed lol.

Very nice! I like your unique art style, reminds me of some of the watercolor promos they used for Street Fighter 4. Keep up the good work, would like to see more pics like that.

Thanks. Well as long as I know people like my style I'll keep making stuff. I think my style's different because I never got lessons so I never copied from anyone. But I think that's the same reason they're always a bit too flawed lol.

It's the artist's curse. You will ALWAYS see the flaws in your artwork no matter what. I've been drawing for 25 years and no matter the praise I get I still see the flaws in my work. Just believe in your style, be bold and branch out, trying new techniques. Also, you can find some AWESOME how-to videos on YouTube using Photoshop and other software that might actually help you achieve what you have in mind for future work. Good luck and keep the artwork coming, it's ALWAYS appreciated by this guy!

Who is Killkano ? Does he make nice drawings like you ?

Yeah he is an artist on this forum.

Again thanks everyone. I'll start thinking of a new one soon enough. At the moment I'm finishing off a Killer Instinct picture I started a while ago. Don't worry, my allegiance will always be with MK lol.

It's not bad at all.

Like it was posted earlier, I would go check out YouTube for some quick tutorials on different techniques, especially if you can find some by artists that you like or want to pick up a few tips from. I've personally picked up a lot just bouncing around DeviantArt and from Bobby Chiu's YouTube page.

Another thing that will help immensely is the use of reference material. It gives you ideas and opens you up to new thought processes to accomplish what you're trying to birth through your art.

A quick run down on this piece in particular, starting with the "needs improvement" stuff :)

Mileena's Uniboob, it looks like something out of an old MMO where the characters poly's were drastically reduced to allow more avatars onto the screen without slowing everything down. Give a bit more definition between the two puppies there so they look like individual globes :). The hair is heavy looking, much like the hair in MK games :O and it's something I've had issues with a lot myself. Try to give it a lighter, flowing/organic feel. Don't paint it on so heavy so that the ends actually disappear into the rest of the piece like a single strand of hair would. The overall image has a lack of depth and cohesiveness, this is created by painting the image in separate pieces, instead of as a whole unit. The worst portrayal of this is Tsu Hao's chest piece, it looks like it's out there on it's own not wrapped around the body properly. I honestly prefer to work in black and white, then colorize my images, working on the entire piece, starting out loose and unrefined, and just tightening up the image as I go, adding details so the whole thing fits together. You also create that feeling of disconnection because all of the colored sections individually are very sharp edged, while the lighting and shadows are very soft and blurred.

Good things!

Both poses are very dynamic, and while the anatomy may not be perfect (mine never is...) the viewer is unaware of this because of the emotion both characters show through their body language. The blood looks like you've spent a bit of time on that, the extra detail really shows effort. Your choice of color palette is great (this is something I struggle with constantly, it's why a lot of my full paintings lack pop, when the individual pieces of it look awesome when they stand alone) and really gives off a very aesthetic feeling.

One other thing, just a tip, play with your brush settings, have fun and figure out what can do what. Using "Screen" on that laser will make it look much brighter, much faster and really give it some life.

All in all, it's good and I'm by no means trying to tear you down. Keep up the great work!

Thanks, all criticism's are welcome. As for mileena's low poly looking boob I noticed it afterwards also but while making it I guess it looked normal as I've done a bit of low poly modelling before lol. I think I also need to look into other programs, I'm using Photoshop elements which I can't help but feel it's mostly for photo editing rather than drawing as no matter what I try I can not get the smoothness around the edges other's do. I'll see if I can improve in any way with my next picture.

For smoothness, play with the brush settings, Hardness & Size (don't get excited ladies!) or come back and use the eraser to bring it down. That works for the full version of PS, not sure what elements includes.

Ok hopefully that can help me, so far lines come out too much like continuous streams of circles which is bad. I often use the eraser to smoothen them a bit but that has the same problem lol. Thanks for your help. I've always liked this forums attitude towards art etc.

Sounds like the "Flow" setting. If this isn't at 100% and you're "painting" you've got it wrong lol. It works great when you're using custom brushes (such as leaves, foot prints, or chain link) but really sucks if you're trying to draw a straight line.

It basically effects how often the brush you're using is applied to the canvas.

100% would look more like this (((((((((((((((O))))))))))))))))

and lesser setting will net a more O O O O O O O O O O O O effect.