crazy combo concerns

rocky

BANALITY
Hey,

after seeing the mad combo videos and the recent mileena one im quite concerned about the linking of moves over and over again, dont get me wrong it looks fantastic!, but when i think back to UMK3 and some of its unfair linking i cant help but worry MK9 might bring back what i dislike about UMK3,

UMK3 was my favourite MK by the way and i still play it online> the only thing i didnt like about it is that some people link together moves that take off nearly more than half your energy bar and theres nothing you can do about it, like smoke for example, with the teleport uppercut followed by a punch followed by the harpoon followed by a six hit combo, once that first teleport puch hits you know your helpless as you watch the unfair linking unfold,
or kabal with his rush spin followed by a combo followed by a flying kick followed by a lazerball

i think these linking of moves was too much and unfair and made it too easy to win if you know them ( ill add i know them but dont use them because i prefer a balanced fight)

and the combo linking in MK9 looks far more crazy than the ones i explained above, hence the concern

I know we have breakers but theres just the one and once its gone its gone and youve got no choice but to watch a million moves being linked together on you once your opponent gets that first hit in

juggling and linking moves is great in small proportions but when someone is linking a million moves together one after the other while your sat watching helpless its no fun.
the videos give off the impression like you can go on forever once you get that first hit in.

what do ya think?

oh and i know youve seen this vid but go to the 0:46 mark , against sector, thats a 15 hit combo!!! -_- WTF!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xG0Simsaf8

Last edited:
That's where the "C-C-C-Combo Breaker"s come in handy. This game will have these exactly like in the newer MK games. So don't worry unless you've spent all of your power meter ;}

That's where the "C-C-C-Combo Breaker"s come in handy. This game will have these exactly like in the newer MK games. So don't worry unless you've spent all of your power meter ;}

well thats what im kinda on about, once thats gone and they get 1 hit on you whats to stop them turning it into a 15 hit combo while you watch helpless,, 8 hits was enough in the earlier MKs and this is nearly double that :/

...or kabal with his rush spin followed by a combo followed by a flying kick followed by a lazerball
maybe some an 80% ok.. but this is a pretty basic kombo man. so then no juggles etc in mk?
good players can do a complex kombo, and also good players know how to prevent them. you can do the rush spin, the kombo etc, but if your oponent block it then you are vulnerable. also some kombos require perfect timing.

and about the 15 hits kombos, look how mileena uses at least 2 leves of her metter to do that.
the metter adds strategic, someone will save it for a x-ray move, someone for a breaker and someone for enhaced special moves.

so if mileena use 2 metters for the long kombo she hasn't enough for a breaker later...

I guess damage scaling and breakers will prevent the game from being broken; from what I've seen, even the more brutal combos don't go over 40% damage also don't forget that some of those crazy combos, like the Mileena one, require a full bar to be performed, so you won't get thrashed like that very often...

well thats what im kinda on about, once thats gone and they get 1 hit on you whats to stop them turning it into a 15 hit combo while you watch helpless,, 8 hits was enough in the earlier MKs and this is nearly double that :/

If you were unable to do insane combos the game would be kind of dull.
And I bet that the higher the combo goes. The less health will be lost. so lets say someone does a 100 hit combo (It's hypothetical) in most games. you don't even take any damage after a high combo (like after 15-20 hit) So I wouldn't believe it's broken or such. Don't worry! Be happy! ;}

Plus, I'm sure not everybody is going to have perfect concentration and pull of a 15 hit combo each time they hit you. Rarely anybody is.

thanks everyone! :) i feel better now! if it works like you say then combo taa death!!
cmon!!

maybe some an 80% ok.. but this is a pretty basic kombo man. so then no juggles etc in mk?
good players can do a complex kombo, and also good players know how to prevent them. you can do the rush spin, the kombo etc, but if your oponent block it then you are vulnerable. also some kombos require perfect timing.

and about the 15 hits kombos, look how mileena uses at least 2 leves of her metter to do that.
the metter adds strategic, someone will save it for a x-ray move, someone for a breaker and someone for enhaced special moves.

so if mileena use 2 metters for the long kombo she hasn't enough for a breaker later...

cool, but i didnt see any meters in the video, ? so just to clarify > you can only do the crazy combos when youve got your meter bars? and the more meter bars you have full the bigger combos you can do?,, so meters are not just for enhancors and breakers and X-ray they also give you the option to string moves/combos together?,
and if you have no meter bars you can only get up to say 8 hits or something?
if this is the case why dont i know about all this? is there a video explaning all this ive missed or something?

PLEASE USE THE EDIT BUTTON, YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD A ZILLION TIMES ALREADY, THANK YOU

Last edited by a moderator:
cool, so just to clarify > you can only do the crazy combos when youve got your meter bars? and the more meter bars you have full the bigger combos you can do?,, so meters are not just for enhancors and breakers and X-ray they also give you the option to string moves/combos together?,
and if you have no meter bars you can only get up to say 8 hits or something?
if this is the case why dont i know about all this? is there a video explaning all this ive missed or something?

thanks for the info!

No, having the bar isn't required to perform combos, but in the Mileena's one there are at least a couple of enhanced moves, which require the bar to be performed, so yes, some of the longest combos requires some segments of the bar to be executed.

Plus, I'm sure not everybody is going to have perfect concentration and pull of a 15 hit combo each time they hit you. Rarely anybody is.

And we also have the lag factor in it. There will probably be a few people that always makes 15 hit combos but there won't be as many as in Street Fighter. Since the SF geeks seem to have developed a perfect button timing sense inside of their heads and can kill you in an instance! ;}

Well to put your mind further at ease, I assure you that NR would be doing everything possible to ensure a fair fight. It's inevitable that players will find loopholes, no game is perfect, but I'm confident that it's going to take a lot longer this time around. And when such problems do arise, NR are able to fix them.

They have spent so much time on MK9, and high quality gameplay has been their top priority. Placing emphasis on strategy is a sign of a mature attitude towards it. I would really be surprised if it doesn't at least live up to our expectations.

You wouldn't like tekken6 at all lol. The thing with Smokes teleport harpoon combo is 'unless your jumping at him or shooting a projectile' if you block the teleport uppercut in the first place you can punish it with an uppercut, if you do that twice almost half of his lifebar is gone.
Defense is a very important aspect, the block button is your friend.
Trust me, you won't mind all those crazy combos when your the one dishing them out.

combo breaker and block with perfection the juggling combos are so fake and unreal in these mk games i mean how are yoy able to keep a guy in the air floating with only 3 hits i allways hated that stuff

combo breaker and block with perfection the juggling combos are so fake and unreal in these mk games i mean how are yoy able to keep a guy in the air floating with only 3 hits i allways hated that stuff

lol I am positive the whole floating in mid air thing doesnt just affect MK.

I have to agree: although it's been a part of MK since the first game and it's funny at first, it's also totally unreal.
But from what I've seen until now, in the next game you can play as you please: you can play MK2 style with just special moves, jump kicks, uppercuts etc. or go deeper, taking full advantage of the new fighting engine.
Personally, I'd like to see more focusing on classic ground combat but I'm sure MK9 will please almost everyone!

Thats what Breakers are for when they came out in MKD and parry stops it all together if there was a Air-parry like in MKMSZ We might

mileena-friendship.gif
fs_fatality.gif
ex01.gif

Last edited:
Will you be able to pull combo breakers off during being air juggled? That's my main concern. After seeing that Mileena video it seemed like she knocked some people around 7 or 8 times in the air with some brutal moves. Its almost like once you get hit with that first punch or two, before the pop-up part, if you don't break it before that you might as well go fix a sandwich and come back by the time the last move hits and 30-40% of your life bar is gone.

Will you be able to pull combo breakers off during being air juggled? That's my main concern. After seeing that Mileena video it seemed like she knocked some people around 7 or 8 times in the air with some brutal moves. Its almost like once you get hit with that first punch or two, before the pop-up part, if you don't break it before that you might as well go fix a sandwich and come back by the time the last move hits and 30-40% of your life bar is gone.
Well in MK:A you could use breakers mid-air so I don't see why you won't be able to in MK9.