When did Raiden receive his visions?

mortalkombat

It was said he received them at the time of "Mortal Kombat 1"; or was it the time of the first Mortal Kombat? I don't remember the exact phrase; but in any case, Raiden's biography puts up a serious question of when he actually receives these visions.

Does he receive them during the time of MK1, sometime before MK1 or perhaps even before the existence of Mortal Kombat?

The first Mortal Kombat would be long ago. The game should be taking place between MK1-MK3.

It was said he received them at the time of "Mortal Kombat 1"; or was it the time of the first Mortal Kombat? I don't remember the exact phrase; but in any case, Raiden's biography puts up a serious question of when he actually receives these visions.

Does he receive them during the time of MK1, sometime before MK1 or perhaps even before the existence of Mortal Kombat?

My gut tells me that he'll receive the visions before MK 1.

Meaning, about the time that Sub Zero is going to kill Scorpion.
Possibly starting with Quan Chi killing his family and clan, first.

My gut tells me that he'll receive the visions before MK 1.

Meaning, about the time that Sub Zero is going to kill Scorpion.
Possibly starting with Quan Chi killing his family and clan, first.

That makes sence to me, gives him time to alter the timeline more efficently then just getting durring the first tourney.

I would think he would have recieved the message from the future before the tournament starts and alter the events leading to the tournament, the fake tournament and the invasion (mk 1-3)

Raiden's biography implies that he has been worrying about Armageddon even before his 9th consecutive loss. I'm starting to think that it may have happened even before the creation of Mortal Kombat (which was thousands of years before MK1). What could this mean for the plot?

I've had a suspicion that they might make Raiden's visions the very reason he feared Shao Kahn and pleaded to the Elder Gods to create Mortal Kombat, creating some kind of time paradox like in Quan Chi's Armageddon ending.

Last edited:
He most likely received them after finishing a bowl of Outworld Kryp-Knot manufactured by the Tarkatan farmers. I hear they specialize in the very best smoke in all the realms. ;)

Edit: Seriously?!? Humor is frowned upon on this site? Who the EFF gave me a negative REP for this? You're just mad 'cause you aren't nearly as funny! LMAO

Let me get all nerd serious for you instead:

"In a most recent interview, more of the plot has been revealed. The story recounts the events of the original trilogy, in an alternate timeline where Raiden receives a message from himself in the future where Armageddon has happened and Shao Kahn became the supreme leader of all the realms. Because of this plot, characters and scenarios present are the classics ones, bringing the old back to new and starting a new conflict."

Source: http://mortalkombat.wikia.com/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_(2011_video_game)#Plot

Geeze, now get a laugh button already!

Last edited:
Why doubt? Let's take a look at Raiden's biography:
Raiden is the God of Thunder and Protector of Earthrealm. Ageless and wise beyond measure, he leads Earthrealm's mortals in the endless battle against the forces of darkness. When Shao Kahn, Emperor of Outworld, threatened to merge his realm with Earthrealm, an overwhelmed Raiden implored the Elder Gods to give Earthrealm a fighting chance. Thus the Mortal Kombat tournament was created. For millennia Shao Kahn has been kept at bay, but nine consecutive losses to Goro have eroded hope that Earthrealm can be saved. Determined to prevent Armageddon, Raiden tirelessly quests to find a champion worthy of Mortal Kombat.
Look at how it's worded and the context. It's written in a way that implies Raiden has always been worried about Armageddon since the beginning of Mortal Kombat itself.
Seem suspiciously familiar with Raiden's visions?

I have a feeling that this is intentionally written this way. They are planning to retcon Raiden's visions as a time paradox and to make it seem impossible for the past to exist without these visions of the future happening in the first place. It is a complex way to re-write the story without actually having to re-write.

Don't think they'd do this? Look at Quan Chi's Armageddon ending.

Why doubt? Let's take a look at Raiden's biography: Look at how it's worded and the context. It's written in a way that implies Raiden has always been worried about Armageddon since the beginning of Mortal Kombat itself.Seem suspiciously familiar with Raiden's visions?

I have a feeling that this is intentionally written this way. They are planning to retcon Raiden's visions as a time paradox and to make it seem impossible for the past to exist without these visions of the future happening in the first place. It is a complex way to re-write the story without actually having to re-write.

Don't think they'd do this? Look at Quan Chi's Armageddon ending.

Yes, they are going to use the Butterfly Effect to alter the story. I cant wait to see how they do it.