"Gore Tech"?

i might hire it....see if i wann buy it...i just got a feeling it will fall short like all mk releases have in the past....dont get me wrong i wann eat my words...im just goin on their track record....and every mk game has missed the bulls eyes an 10/10 score it could of had due to focussing on the wrong things an pure laziness

But even from MK1 the development process didn't focus so much on the fatalities. I mean, do you remember the fatalities from MK1? The most complicated one was Sub-Zero's spine rip. The rest were either decapitations, burnings or just graphical bits where the art doesn't even change like Liu's cartwheel uppercut thingy or the heart rip. I mean, 7 characters, each with only one fatality, and even then, the developers have said plenty that it was an afterthought. Point being, fatalities aren't the meal, they're just garnish. People have been calling them 'lazy' since MK2, and I'm sorry, but I've thought they were bad ass and didn't know what everybody was complaining about back then too. But I play fighting games for the fighting. If the gameplay in MK1 sucked, nobody would have cared about the fatalities.

Regardless of how much time the developers did or didn't spend on the fatalities, it still ended up being what made MK. And when's the last time you played MK1? The gameplay did suck. It was the gore that made us all keep playing it and loving it.

Regardless of how much time the developers did or didn't spend on the fatalities, it still ended up being what made MK. And when's the last time you played MK1? The gameplay did suck. It was the gore that made us all keep playing it and loving it.

I don't think it was just the gore. It was the originality overall. The gameplay may have left something to be desired, but there were so many other elements about the game that were appealing. The gameplay proved good enough to hold the whole package up.

I don't think it was just the gore. It was the originality overall. The gameplay may have left something to be desired, but there were so many other elements about the game that were appealing. The gameplay proved good enough to hold the whole package up.

Plus the presentation and digitized actors drew people into the game, I thought they were quite important.

Plus the presentation and digitized actors drew people into the game, I thought they were quite important.

Definitely, the gore wouldn't have had the same impact without the digitized actors. Simply using digitized actors was a good, original idea on its own.

dont matter what ya say take away the gore, and mk would have been beaten an faded into obscurity when competing with SF2

dont matter what ya say take away the gore, and mk would have been beaten an faded into obscurity when competing with SF2

But this makes no sense. Gore is MK and MK is gore. Taking the gore and finishers from MK is like taking the kicking from Street Fighter.

Back to the Gore Tech--i think if NRS is really saving its implementation into the fatalities and stuff then thatll make the actual finished product much more impactful and bloody when we see "organs spilling, togues flapping.." etc. If its all a big ruse then... idk

coz they suck, and we have been promised so much more....I have been asking about goretech since it was mentioned....and we have seen no sign of it...Im gussings its just the mk team being as lazy as they have always been....and I dont think well see it....as much as i would love to, we wont....and Im 100% certain what we see if what we get, and nothing will change....the game is not early in development, its 3 months away...

this is just another case of a lazy,misguided team...focussing on SHIT instead of gold....like all mks this will be a let down with the devs focussing more on mini,games super hard secrets that ammount to nothing, or super unlockables that dont exist! or idiot friendships an babablitys, when they should have been focusin what put mk on the map FATALITIES! I find it absurd....that a game like left 4 dead 2 can implement internal modelling and intestings an organs, with up to 50 on screen at once....and mk cant not even do this to ONE character , when only 2 are on screen...again just more evidence what a joke mk is and how bad its team is.....they are ALWAYS so close but so far to making a perfect mk

so what you will mk was never meant to be a joke..they made it one from mk3 onward

The game isn't even due out for almost 3 months, they still have time to add things in. You guys are complaining too soon.

And when's the last time you played MK1? The gameplay did suck.

Well, that's your opinion sir. I thought the gameplay for MK1 was plenty fun, but I really came into my own with fighting games during MK2, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Let me try and make my point more clearly. If Mortal Kombat was a one trick pony, nobody would care about it now in 2011. I can think of plenty of other gimmicky titles that couldn't hold up over this many years. Where's my huge Frogger sequel? How about that big budget, next-gen Joust game? Why would there be a return to 'classic gameplay' if the classic gameplay is no good?

It's the gore, the gameplay, the designs and the story. All four elements come together to make a whole, and it's my belief that if you were to rely on only one of those elements, you'd lose what makes the series great.

Well, that's your opinion sir. I thought the gameplay for MK1 was plenty fun, but I really came into my own with fighting games during MK2, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Let me try and make my point more clearly. If Mortal Kombat was a one trick pony, nobody would care about it now in 2011. I can think of plenty of other gimmicky titles that couldn't hold up over this many years. Where's my huge Frogger sequel? How about that big budget, next-gen Joust game? Why would there be a return to 'classic gameplay' if the classic gameplay is no good?

It's the gore, the gameplay, the designs and the story. All four elements come together to make a whole, and it's my belief that if you were to rely on only one of those elements, you'd lose what makes the series great.

This I agree with actually. I wasn't suggesting that they should rely only on fatalities. That only worked to get us hooked on MKI because it was totally new to games at that time. Gore is a dime-a-dozen these days. The other elements are clearly necessary. I was merely suggesting that if they were to EPIC FAIL with the fatalities, it would sink the game completely, as well-executed gore is fundamentally necessary to hook anyone who is an established fan of the series. And I'm not optimistic that the game will attract too much new blood, as I don't anticipate it will bring anything new that is particularly notable to a fan of another fighting series.

And I'm not optimistic that the game will attract too much new blood, as I don't anticipate it will bring anything new that is particularly notable to a fan of another fighting series.

Actually, one thing that's impressed me is that hardcore fighting game sites like iplaywinner.com are covering updates and such on this game due to it's focus on being tournament worthy. Another thing I've noticed is that people are kind of looking at this game as if it's a true return, and I see a lot of dudes my age who used to play MK in the 90s being like "Oh, Mortal Kombat's back..." as if there haven't been 4 games between now and then. Which, I mean, I'm a total advocate of those games, but I completely understand why most people would simply pass them up.