Mortal Kombat, sin of the rumor

BBBLP

Robot Rock
Mortal Kombat has always been riddled with rumors, my question is, have you ever done the deed of starting a rumor you knew to be false :)? Or have you ever fallen for a false rumor and tried over and over to get something that was never there?

Here's my experience:

This kid I knew was one of those kids who thought they knew everything there is to know about MK, but actually didn't know shit. He tried to convince me once that Sonya was from Edenia and Sub and Scorpion were brothers. But anyway he would always start stupid rumors about "How you can use reptile in Shaolin Monks" " How you can play as Onaga" etc. So I told him that in Armageddon if you shoot an iceball at Blaze just as you kill him, you unlock his blue costume. He tried for months as I just sat back and laughed.

Last edited:
I also fell for the Kochal rumor, I tried endlessly to unlock him. I started Konquest over twice thinking I did something wrong when I only got koins for completing the challenge.

So I told him that in Armageddon if you shoot an iceball at Blaze just as you kill him, you unlock his blue costume. He tried for months as I just sat back and laughed.

This made my day.

I remember the Sub Zero turning into a polar bear rumor in MKII in the arcades. I believed it but once it became a reality I began to think it should have stayed a rumor. There was also one from the same game about unlocking Sonya and Kano from Shao Kahn's Colesium. WIth the internet, it is hard to perpetuate rumors, someone will figure it out and expose it, so it is tough to believe anything like that anymore.

I remember the Sub Zero turning into a polar bear rumor in MKII in the arcades. I believed it but once it became a reality I began to think it should have stayed a rumor. There was also one from the same game about unlocking Sonya and Kano from Shao Kahn's Colesium. WIth the internet, it is hard to perpetuate rumors, someone will figure it out and expose it, so it is tough to believe anything like that anymore.

Very true, I almost miss being tricked by rumors I thought were amazing.

I rememeber I read a article that you kan play was that one dude who had Scorpion's fighting style and moves on MKD and I kept trying and trying and trying but I gave up. Then I found out it was a rumor.

Mortal Kombat has always been riddled with rumors, my question is, have you ever done the deed of starting a rumor you knew to be false :)? Or have you ever fallen for a false rumor and tried over and over to get something that was never there?

Here's my experience:

This kid I knew was one of those kids who thought they knew everything there is to know about MK, but actually didn't know shit. He tried to convince me once that Sonya was from Edenia and Sub and Scorpion were brothers. But anyway he would always start stupid rumors about "How you can use reptile in Shaolin Monks" " How you can play as Onaga" etc. So I told him that in Armageddon if you shoot an iceball at Blaze just as you kill him, you unlock his blue costume. He tried for months as I just sat back and laughed.

Aahahahahhahahahhahahhahahahahahha bro you are ****ing funny as hell for that!

Back in the early 90's you didn't really have a way to dispute a rumor because information was limited. Kids didn't figure out the fatalities the week the arcade game came out, it would be months before some of them were spread (I know there were several updates and some fatalities didn't exist till the new version came out). I miss that about the game. The speculation was kind of exciting. These days rumors can be refuted a lot easier. I like when they add things that are foriegn and out of character for the game...it is extra stuff to me. It didn't take away from the integrity of the game. I am still very much anticipating MK9 though...even though times have changed dramatically from my old arcade days with MK1-UMK3.

Back in the early 90's you didn't really have a way to dispute a rumor because information was limited. Kids didn't figure out the fatalities the week the arcade game came out, it would be months before some of them were spread (I know there were several updates and some fatalities didn't exist till the new version came out). I miss that about the game. The speculation was kind of exciting. These days rumors can be refuted a lot easier. I like when they add things that are foriegn and out of character for the game...it is extra stuff to me. It didn't take away from the integrity of the game. I am still very much anticipating MK9 though...even though times have changed dramatically from my old arcade days with MK1-UMK3.

Completely agree. I can't stay off the internet for too long. And I know that I can't resist the temptation of looking up the secrets ans fatalities, shameful I know ;)

Things will be new for me with MK9 for a while since I won't get to play it much with my job and my son. It will probably take me a year to get around to uncovering everything with my schedule. This is good and bad...the curse of being an old man who can't let go of the one video game that still interests me.

Pfft, my best friend from elementary school was always feeding me crap that wasn't true about MK. He tried to convince me that there were indeed Animalities in MK2, including one where Shang Tsung would morph into Noob Saibot, do his spear move and uppercut your head off. Of course, he never explained to me why in ****'s name that move would be an Animality. He even borrowed my Genesis cartridge for a week and told me about all the awesome Animalities he was doing that for some reason he wouldn't do when we were playing the game at my house.

Another time he wanted to make me believe that the MK live action tour for some reason made a stop at our school during an assembly while I wasn't there. He went on and on about how cool the "graphics" were when Sub-Zero did his ice blast, and how he even got his autograph afterward. Then he got pissed at me and refused to show me said autograph because I didn't trust him.

Now that I think about it, my friend was a dick. I don't even think he had a Genesis, what the ****.

Pfft, my best friend from elementary school was always feeding me crap that wasn't true about MK. He tried to convince me that there were indeed Animalities in MK2, including one where Shang Tsung would morph into Noob Saibot, do his spear move and uppercut your head off. Of course, he never explained to me why in ****'s name that move would be an Animality. He even borrowed my Genesis cartridge for a week and told me about all the awesome Animalities he was doing that for some reason he wouldn't do when we were playing the game at my house.

Another time he wanted to make me believe that the MK live action tour for some reason made a stop at our school during an assembly while I wasn't there. He went on and on about how cool the "graphics" were when Sub-Zero did his ice blast, and how he even got his autograph afterward. Then he got pissed at me and refused to show me said autograph because I didn't trust him.

Now that I think about it, my friend was a dick. I don't even think he had a Genesis, what the ****.

Yeap best friends do that pretty often. Mine used to tell me that in MK II, if you beat Jade with a double flawless, Goro would appear in his lair, tosses Jade away and fights you :nuts:.
So of course being 12 years old and trying to beat Jade with a double perfect was not an easy task, and actually I never managed to it...
The 90' was the decade of rumors. The most crappy one was SF II easteregg in 1994 launched by EGM where you needed to win every enemy double perfect until you arrive to Bison, to not loose of course any rounds. Once against Bison, You need to prevent him from touching you and you could not touch him either (both life bars should be empty) until the timer hits 0. If you manage this, Sheng Long (Ryu's master) who is supposed to be hidden in the huge bell in the middle of Bison's stage would appear. Of course we believed that crap like everyone back then and we tried to unlock him for like 1year and a half with my best friend before we give up :eek2:

Amen dude...I fondly remember those days. The arcade rumors were part of the fuel that kept me coming back every single week to play MK2.

If there is one thing I can definitely credit the dev team with for the modern day MK games, it's that they managed to pack enough into Deception's Konquest mode to keep everyone guessing for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time. That Kochal crap and the very convoluted way you needed to unlock "Monster" (which wasn't true of course) kept people theorizing for months. If they play their cards right, they can do the same with MK9. Undoubtedly every single move will be known and posted by noon on launch day, but the secrets and rumors will hopefully keep us all playing for a long, long time.

Amen dude...I fondly remember those days. The arcade rumors were part of the fuel that kept me coming back every single week to play MK2.

If there is one thing I can definitely credit the dev team with for the modern day MK games, it's that they managed to pack enough into Deception's Konquest mode to keep everyone guessing for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time. That Kochal crap and the very convoluted way you needed to unlock "Monster" (which wasn't true of course) kept people theorizing for months. If they play their cards right, they can do the same with MK9. Undoubtedly every single move will be known and posted by noon on launch day, but the secrets and rumors will hopefully keep us all playing for a long, long time.

Agreed. But unfortunately, I think the only reason we were guessing so much in MK:D was because of the false rumors. If they were true, we wouldn't have been so amazed by them because they would be posted faster than you can blink. It was because we thought we could get them, that we tried sooo much. Do you think they will have to do this in MK9 to keep our attention? I hope not. That Kochal bullshit scarred me for a long time lol.

I think the worst one for me is when my cousin told me that UMK3 was Satanic and would unleash hell on me and my brother...

Hey, I was like 5 at the time