High-Definition Frustration

But I don't think that'll happen, I still believe we'll see the game in 2011 and likely before April. But I have no direct knowledge of the situation beyond that the project did in fact have some actors re-filmed for the game as I stated in my story six months ago.

Interesting. While I'd absolutely love for the game to be released before MK9, I'm not sold that could happen. Others have suggested WB would want to hold off releasing it too close to MK9 as to not overshadow it (or worse, hurt its profit margin).

Pat, do you think releasing the HD Kollection in the next 2 1/2 months would hurt or help MK9's sales? I've heard arguments both ways and feel that both sides have merit, but I lean towards thinking WB will wait until MK9's hype has died down. Then again, as some have suggested, the HD Kollection could theoretically boost sales of MK9 by giving new and old fans a taste of old school, 2D MK goodness.

MKT over UMK3? you both need help. :)

Yeah fans seem to love MKT because it was the game they got to play on their consoles, not many people played UMK3 on their consoles due it's limited release. So instead of porting UMK3 to the N64 and PS1 they ported UMK3 and added WAY TOO MUCH STUFF to make the game into the bastardization it is today.

It's a terrible unbalanced game that is full of bugs, fans will eventually forget it as it becomes harder and harder to find and while they continue to push the far superior arcade originals.

Or so I hope.

Interesting. While I'd absolutely love for the game to be released before MK9, I'm not sold that could happen. Others have suggested WB would want to hold off releasing it too close to MK9 as to not overshadow it (or worse, hurt its profit margin).

Pat, do you think releasing the HD Kollection in the next 2 1/2 months would hurt or help MK9's sales? I've heard arguments both ways and feel that both sides have merit, but I lean towards thinking WB will wait until MK9's hype has died down. Then again, as some have suggested, the HD Kollection could theoretically boost sales of MK9 by giving new and old fans a taste of old school, 2D MK goodness.

Well the early leaks of MKHD both said and showed on the cover art that it came with a Demo of MK9. It's possible now that it may come later, but I think one reason to do the release on a disc is to bundle the demo with it. So it's just my hopeless optimism that the game will still show up before MK9.

Last edited:
Well the early leaks of MKHD both said and showed on the cover art that it came with a Demo of MK9. It's possible now that it may come later, but I think one reason to do the release on a disc is to bundle the demo with it. So it's just my hopeless optimism that the game will still show up before MK9.

I hear ya, and I'm in that very same boat.

If the game were released mid February (as I've seen rumored, though there have been so many dates out there) along with a MK9 demo, I think that could work very well. If the game were reasonably priced, say, $30.... perfect. Fans would get an awesome game to play for 2 months until MK9 is released. The HD Kollection itself would really showcase what MK9 is going to be like, but including the demo should guarantee a first day buy for anyone on the fence. Should be interesting to see what WB and NRS decide to do in the next couple months, I guess.

The HD Kollection itself would really showcase what MK9 is going to be like, but including the demo should guarantee a first day buy for anyone on the fence. Should be interesting to see what WB and NRS decide to do in the next couple months, I guess.

I'm one of those people on the fence.

I used to be all hyped up for the HD Kollection, before it went sour with false release dates.
I know it's not NetherRealm's fault, but it's frustrating that WB would put out false marketing.

That being said, if I paid the $30 for the HD Kollection, it would HAVE to come with the demo for MK 9.
Otherwise, I'm not spending the $30 for the Kollection ALONE.
I WOULD easily pay $30 for the MK 9 demo disc though.

Last edited:
I know it's not NetherRealm's fault, but it's frustrating that WB would put out false marketing.

NetherRealm Studios is part of WB, NetherRealm is just the name for the Chicago-based studio of WB Games.

Also WB never put out any "false marketing" they have put no marketing out AT ALL. Retailer buyers may have gotten some limited information on an upcoming title, but that's not marketing, that's how retail buying works. They need to know in advance something is coming so they can order stuff. All that stuff was stuff we the public were not supposed to see.

The HD Kollection itself would really showcase what MK9 is going to be like, but including the demo should guarantee a first day buy for anyone on the fence. Should be interesting to see what WB and NRS decide to do in the next couple months, I guess.

There are no dashes in the first 2 games and the Run button mechanic is dramatically different from the dash mechanic in MK, so the new game will play nothing like the old games.

I agree that having a demo would push us fence-riders off, but who knows which way that will be?

There are no dashes in the first 2 games and the Run button mechanic is dramatically different from the dash mechanic in MK, so the new game will play nothing like the old games.

I agree that having a demo would push us fence-riders off, but who knows which way that will be?

I didn't exactly mean they'd play like MK9 or vice versa. As I'm sure you're aware, there are many fans who were introduced to the series during the "3D" era of gameplay. To truly appreciate MK9, you should be familiar with the klassics (HD updated or not). I think you'd have to agree, while MK9 will have a unique feel that no other MK game has had, if you were going to compare it to any previous games, it'd be MK, MKII and UMK3. It certainly will not play like MK:DA, MK:D, MK:A or MKvsDC.

but the new game is being made to play just like a cross up of MK2 and UMK3, with dash instead of run (stupid stupid STUPID imo). Different from the arcade era but that is exactly what they are trying to recreate while keeping it "fresh".

I still wonder what harm an offcial announcement does? an annoucnement that confirms the game being in developement, just that. The elvis/conspiracy responses on twitter..if you can't say anything about the game, simply ignore the twitters. Maybe fun playing little mindgames with the fans...but for me..I'm not pissed..but more like Danny Glover...I'm too old for this shit.

my thinking was if they release mkhd before mk9, then everyone and especially people who never played the originals would know the story of mk and the original games before they altered the story in mk9.

I strongly believe the game was meant to be released earlier, and probably something unexpected happened that made WB/MK Team postpone the release date. That would explain why all web retailers had it on their lists. It is clearly not a rumor. I am still waiting for it, but I prefer them taking their time making/filming it for I want a quality Kollection.

Araknyd
I'm not spending the $30 for the Kollection ALONE. I WOULD easily pay $30 for the MK 9 demo disc though.
You can't be serious. Pay 30$ for a demo with a couple of characters and 1-2 stages while full games cost less?
If the MK HD is a total remake with new filming etc, it would be well worth the 30$.

I still wonder what harm an offcial announcement does? an annoucnement that confirms the game being in developement, just that. The elvis/conspiracy responses on twitter..if you can't say anything about the game, simply ignore the twitters. Maybe fun playing little mindgames with the fans...but for me..I'm not pissed..but more like Danny Glover...I'm too old for this shit.

I agree. If the game is this far along, what's the hold up? I mean, if the game was merely something they had discussed, there would be nothing, in theory, to announce. But since there was, for whatever reason, a release date of 11/16/2010 and boxart was leaked, it's obvious it was farther along than just a discussion. The fact the boxart (which I do not believe to be fake) mentioned a demo of MK9, it's clear they thought they'd have it out before April 2011. In that case, the least you could do is announce it. We don't need screen shots or specific details, just say, "Mortal Kombat HD Arcade Kollection - Coming Soon". That's it and I'd be happy. Instead, we get, "Oh, what ever are you talking about... ::wink, wink::" and "I'm not going to lie and deny it, but I just can't talk about it." Um... you kind of just did. ;-) Even if something happened where the game ended up getting canned, I see no reason it couldn't have been announced first. That kind of stuff happens all the time (NBA Elite, I'm looking at you). And yeah, there are some games that are announced and it takes 15 years to (maybe) be released.... coughDukeNukemcough. But the fact is, they were announced and acknowledged.

Araknyd
You can't be serious. Pay 30$ for a demo with a couple of characters and 1-2 stages while full games cost less?
If the MK HD is a total remake with new filming etc, it would be well worth the 30$.

I'm not paying $30 for the HD Kollection THIS close to MK 9.
A few months ago? Fine, I could have probably justified the price for it back then.
With the MK 9 date getting even closer, I'll just wait until the HD Kollection goes down to the $15 or $10 price range.

I didn't exactly mean they'd play like MK9 or vice versa. As I'm sure you're aware, there are many fans who were introduced to the series during the "3D" era of gameplay. To truly appreciate MK9, you should be familiar with the klassics (HD updated or not). I think you'd have to agree, while MK9 will have a unique feel that no other MK game has had, if you were going to compare it to any previous games, it'd be MK, MKII and UMK3. It certainly will not play like MK:DA, MK:D, MK:A or MKvsDC.

It doesn't seem like it's gonna play like any of them, really. As best I can tell, it's gonna have a similar feel to MKvsDCU with no 3rd field of movement and some UMK3 style combos mixed in.
but the new game is being made to play just like a cross up of MK2 and UMK3, with dash instead of run (stupid stupid STUPID imo). Different from the arcade era but that is exactly what they are trying to recreate while keeping it "fresh".

It's either gonna be the best MK ever or a HUGE let down. I honestly don't think it's possible to bridge the gap between easy-to-play and high-level-playability. It's like oil and water. I think/hope the new MK will be a good mix of the two, but only time will tell. If they can do that, I'll be happy and considering we'll always have the classics, I've got everything I want anyhow. I will always want an updated version of these games

It doesn't seem like it's gonna play like any of them, really. As best I can tell, it's gonna have a similar feel to MKvsDCU with no 3rd field of movement and some UMK3 style combos mixed in.

In essence, it could be said it will have a similar feel to all past MK games. There will be jumps, kicks, punches, special powers, finishing maneuvers, Mortal Kombat characters, etc. But, since it will be played exclusively on a 2D plane, it will be compared mostly to MK, MKII and UMK3. But yes, we agree, it won't play like any past MK game.

Update/Edit as to not "double post": As was discussed earlier in this thread, Rigo said on Twitter that he was editing a video that was not an MKast or Mileena related (also, this comment came shortly after the official MK account asked fans about "timed exclusives"). Anyway, as was just seen, today's Fatality Friday video was, in fact, about Mileena. @Casselman13 questioned Rigo on that and apparently the video he was talking about before was not today's video.

@NinjaBoy66 (Rigo) via Twitter:
"MB (Michael Bay) mode was another project to be named later"

So I'm still thinking it's MK9 related, but this could definitely be viewed as HD Kollection related (considering previous Tweets and comments). The HD Kollection is "another project" and is certainly in the "to be named later" category. ;-)

Last edited:
hmmm... def sounds like it could be mkhd related... the fact that he called it another project sparks my interests... think they would even have videos in mkhd though? did they have them in the original 3 mks? i dont remember. Oh, i thought netherrealm studios didnt have anything to do with the making of mkhd though... i thought an outside studio was making it.. what do you guys think

just throwing this out there but apparently ign.com has mkhd listed as cancelled now. No idea how reliable they are or where they got the info , but according to their site its cancelled.