MK9 - Cyrax Net of Death Fatality Remake

GrandMasterTRS

Hey guys,
I present you today my first awesome animation of 2011.
This time I decide to make a remake of Cyrax's Net Fatality from MK9 also I decide to make an animation that looks all in all like MK9 like the awesome living forest stage.
I hope you enjoy my latest fake fatality creation. ^_^

MK9 - Cyrax Net of Death Fatality Remake:

Would be cool if you leave a comment.:)

Isn't this more of a pre-make?
Anyways... This was just pure awesomeness.
they should have made the fatality more like this in MK9

This is perfection! I dont get why the netherrealm team didnt do the fatalty like this. I guess they are lazy and didnt want to put in the extra effort and detail

AWESOME!!! I love how the body falls at the same time instead of one by one. Also, i like the whole pause where hes shaking and then suddenly shoots the net. Again this is awesome, keep up the good work my man.

Sweetastic. I really like that you threw in Cyrax's line "Death is the only way out."

Best part of Annihilation. lol

Plain awesomeness!!! MUCH better than the MK9 fatality!

This is perfection! I dont get why the netherrealm team didnt do the fatalty like this. I guess they are lazy and didnt want to put in the extra effort and detail

That's exactly why. Makes me sad to see them always shortcut their games instead of just pouring tons of creative talent and artwork into them. I'm hoping that we'll see some really unique and impressive fatalities other than dismemberments soon.

Enjoyed that clip, great work! Like how the opponent is reduced to just a heap of shit :D
I also agree it's what the MK9 fatality should have looked like.

What bugs me, though, are comments such as 'NRS are lazy' or 'they're shortcutting the game'. Don't be so naive, they've invested serious effort into this game, but they must conform to a deadline. Realistically, some aspects will not receive as much attention as others.

What I'd love to see: a fatality competition held by NRS, with fatalities created and voted for by fans. The select few get recreated by the studio and become available as free DLC. Wouldn't that be great?

What bugs me, though, are comments such as 'NRS are lazy' or 'they're shortcutting the game'. Don't be so naive, they've invested serious effort into this game, but they must conform to a deadline. Realistically, some aspects will not receive as much attention as others.

Laziness comes in the form of recycling animations. All of the fatalities shown so far have consisted of dismembering the opponent. Here is a diagram showing the slice points on the characters...
5322436081_a5676e8922_b.jpg

Back in the day the MK team recycled animations and used palette swaps to conserve memory space since they only had very little space to work with on the arcade machines. But now with the PS3 having the enormous bluray format and x-box using DL DVDs this should not be the go-to method of creation with MK9. Each and every Fatality COULD look distinct, individual, and wholly unique. Given that this is not the case, I deem them somewhat lazy when creating them. Prime examples of this so far are....

- Cyrax's Net Fatality - The character is hit by a net that consists of approx. 264 squares and yet falls into the predetermined number of pieces as shown in the diagram above.
- All other fatalities - Each character just displays an animation that results in the opponent being dissected in one of the ways shown in the above diagram.
- Reptile's Fatality - This is actually something that REALLY pisses me off in modern day gaming. Clipping is when polygons cross into each other when they shouldn't. Example would be a cape on a character's back that occasionally shows his elbow popping through or his legs popping through when running. The MK team has actually used this taboo mistake in game development to "Shortcut" animating and texturing fatalities in ALL of the 3D MKs. This is shown in Reptile's Fatality in MK9. He reaches into the opponent's abdomen and pulls out his stomach. NOW, using the clipping to show the hand reaching into the opponent is not the bad part. The cheesy part is that the opponent shows NO texture effect on his abdomen showing the damage from thrusting an arm into an opponent's body. Another example of this is the liver crush with Sub-Zero. I can dig reaching into the opponent and then freezing and crushing their liver, they could (in the MK world) live to fight out the rest of the match. HOWEVER, being "Lazy" and not programming a texture effect to show the gaping and bleeding hole that should be left after this is... well... lazy.
Mileena's Face Eat Fatality - She chews the opponents face off yet the face she just ate is not 'eaten'. Another fine example of shortcutting using clipping.

BUT, NRS has plenty of time to tie up these little details and my hopes lie with them that they will not overlook these simple and subtle details. Each new build I see on YouTube shows new animations, moves, combos, and the like. So I have no doubt it is possible they just haven't gotten to this yet.

Deadlines are NEVER a valid excuse to not produce the very best a talented programming team can accomplish!

Adjun speaks the truth about NRS and laziness. I hope they go the higher road and fix those issues. It's been a ***** of numerous MK fans how bodies don't reflect puncture wounds since MKDA.

However, let us get back onto the topic of GMTRS' artwork and save the discussion of shortcutting for another thread where it is more relevant to the OP.

Love the fatality, though if the net slowed down a tad, especially at impact that would be awesome. Only thing that looks off is the lines on Nightwolf, once he's been cut up. A slower effect there as well, showing the blood lines forming, and blood coming from them before he falls apart may have been a better route to travel.

Deadlines are NEVER a valid excuse to not produce the very best a talented programming team can accomplish!

I find this comment very irritating! Its obvious that the artists/designers/programmers at NRS are striving to make something special but deadlines are of course an important factor! When working on a project of this scale you've got to prioritize, some elements are just more important than others. If you can complete your important goals in time THEN you can go back and polish all of the minor stuff that's been nagging you.
Keep in mind this is a work-in-progress we've been looking at, nothing is final.

BTW is there a link to the vid? I don't see it...

@Adjun: I can almost guarantee they'll work out most/all of those issues come launch. I mean, the character damage and blood animations alone are above and beyond anything I've ever seen, so I suspect that many other details will be attended to, as well. A lot of games are given release dates over 6 months in advance, and since we're only 3-4 months away from the stated launch window, it makes perfect sense that they haven't finalized the date to give them some leeway for tweaking purposes.

My only hope is they work out some of the gameplay aspects I'm not feeling, rather than focus on the details of the finishers.

the thing i like the most about this fatalty is cyrax stance in the end,
in any other way as shao khan might say:
Well Done!

#Wow so much comments after just one day.^^
Nice if you all like my new animation.

Thanks for watching and your nice comments.:)