Your Expectations in the Replay Value of the New Mortal Kombat Koming out.

EDGE

hey members I wanted to start a topic on the gameplay value & players views about what interest fans to buy or kontinue to play the New Mortal kombat koming out in march. Is it just all the eye candy like fatalities? x-ray moves,3D rendering stages or kombos? share your opinions on what could be improved or updated about MK 2011.

I am a 2D homebrew Mugen gaming developer,programmer,linux guru & have a project called UMK3 Blood Storm check it out here:
http://mugenclangaming.enjin.com

I Think that I'll keep playing this 20 years into the future if my 360 survives that time ;}
I'm still playing my old favourite fighting games from the SNES era and a fighting game never get's old in my opinion.
And a great fatality or two always make the game a little bit better ;}

Gameplay will the be primary reason I buy it. I'm not too sure I like it yet because it looks too much like Armageddon and MKvDCU.

hey members I wanted to start a topic on the gameplay value & players views about what interest fans to buy or kontinue to play the New Mortal kombat koming out in march. Is it just all the eye candy like fatalities? x-ray moves,3D rendering stages or kombos? share your opinions on what could be improved or updated about MK 2011.

I am a 2D homebrew Mugen gaming developer,programmer,linux guru & have a project called UMK3 Blood Storm check it out here:

I put 100+ hours into the "less then stellar" installments along with 3 or 4 times that and counting into MKII and UMK3 so if the gameplay is good I cant fathom not putting in atleast 100+ hours into the new one.

Checked out your mugen, looks good however to be honest it reminds me of Killer Instinct, MvC2, and MK having an orgy and Blood Storm was the product of it. Needs to stay a bit more true to MK roots and a little less of everything else in my opinion.

I really do like the fact Ed Boon & his Team are even devoting effort for MK 2011 to be in production & created for Fans. Anyone that knows gaming and what its takes to author or publish games have to visualize the concept to satisfy today's Next Generation player. My friends and I play in tournaments all over the US and threw out the years have seen Midway rush Ed and his team to produce Mk 2d games that really got old fast bcos of the limited replay concept. the kombos are repetitious.there were not enough stage fatalities,the character base was also drawn with hardly any personality as in artificial Intelligence.So i think the New Mk 2011 game Warner bros,Netherrealm productions will push threw those obstacles,We expect only the best from this release with given today's technology.but not all fans are being pleased with the MKvDCU environment gameplay feeling.Im really not to happy with the way kombos string together bcos it relates to Tekken or Street fighter 4 antics.all methods of fighting feel like they have to be orchestrated or projected into looking flashy or stringed into another move or have to be pulled off one way.So the topic here a bit is in my UMK3 Blood Storm project,you can reinvent your own kombos.go into weapon launchers,cancel out a sequence of punches and go into kicks or vise versa,tie into ground or aerial moves without the timing being klunky or slow.Thats what needs to be improved in this MK 2011 release. no I have not played this game but can only express my opinions threw watching the videos.People need to take more time in giving Ed & his team MORE feedback on what they want to see & have in this release so it does'nt become just another compilation of past MK games.

Yeah I've seen bloodstorm vids a while back. I think It's really neat.

Competitive game play (combos/juggles/deep mechanics/fast pace and thinking on your feet type of game) is what will add replay value to it, to me at least.

If the combo system isn't what I think it would be.. I'm dumping it in favor of bloodstorm.

Replay value? Playing online and mastering the game. There are at least 26 characters to master, that will take a lot of time. :D

Yeah I've seen bloodstorm vids a while back. I think It's really neat.

Competitive game play (combos/juggles/deep mechanics/fast pace and thinking on your feet type of game) is what will add replay value to it, to me at least.

If the combo system isn't what I think it would be.. I'm dumping it in favor of bloodstorm.

I appreciate you honesty man. actually those are chain combos that have a freedom cancel source added to them which means using a fighters full potential instead of just starting a kombo like in the old mk games or staying with an auto kombo by tapping hp,hp,lp and then some to end it with a roundhouse or upperkut.most of the time those moves never connected or were pushed out of sequence and people would receive damage from the other opponent or a weakness would be found easily to defeat a fighter.the way I started programing my characters was given the ability to flow threw a style and not get stuck into doing the same crap over and over. the ability to start a kombo from any state from a standing point,crouching or jumping with any kick, punch or special move. giving the fact that people can use a fighting style and not get coned into becoming predictable & use chip damage shots. I have enabled the same laws as being caught by projectiles and any other moves so gameplay would not be cheap. All the features being added to Our Team's project is to bring Mk gaming up a notch & get away from being so mobilized in a stage. In killer Instinct you have to stay into that auto combo just to create another one or do an ender to finish it one way.There are a few manual combos in KI but in all said started or ended the same way. like I said I have been into gaming for over 15 years. played in tournaments around the US and have the ability to create my own games so I know from experience from being involved in Fighting games from other gamers statements or performance in playing or in Arcades what they wanted to see improved so that's my advantage into Authoring UMK3 Blood Storm.I will be releasing a beta of my project in a few months so fans will see the difference & feel of a fluid style fighting kombo system im working with.

Last edited:
So far this game looks awesome between the Gameplay, X-Ray, and Super Meter specials.
Looks like I'll be playing this game for the next few years, if it plays as good as it looks, so far.

It's a fighting game so if it's anywhere between good and great, I'd say the sky's the limit. People still play games like SFIII 3S, TTT, UMK3, SSFII Turbo etc. and they're well over a decade old.

It looks good but I also thought MK vs DC Universe looked good and I got bored of that game incredibly fast....Hard to say without playing it.

The unlockables, fatalities and extras will have me hooked while the game is still fresh, but once I've seen all the extraneous stuff, the gameplay is what will keep me coming back time and time again.

The unlockables, fatalities and extras will have me hooked while the game is still fresh, but once I've seen all the extraneous stuff, the gameplay is what will keep me coming back time and time again.
I agree. game play will determine the replay value. I played MK vs DCU everyday until my PS3 shit the bed. and I played deception for a good couple of years and recently bought it for psp definitely the be best of the Kartoon Kombat series. I think I will play this almost exclusively until Street Fighter X Tekken comes out.