Boss strength mode idea

rocky

BANALITY
ahreet! We know when you play against Bosses in MK their moves take around twice as much health off you!, which is totally understandable because theyre a Boss so it should be harder, However i was thinking If in MK9 you can unlock a boss as a playable character say Goro for instance there should be an option to make his moves take off the regular amount of health.

So when your playing two player you have the option to have him really strong (which would be ideal for beginner players against advanced players)

or you could have him equally balanced so its not really easy to win with (ideal for advanced vs advanced)

the only reason im saying this is because charactors like goro are awesome and fun to play with but i would never choose him in a 2 player game because its just too easy to win, id like to play with him as an equal charactor whos punches and specials take off the same amount.

this option would only be available in 2 player mode after you have unlocked the character, in single player the bosses would always be stronger

one more thing> in tag mode if you can choose an unlocked boss you should be able to pick either 2 normal players or just 1 boss, that way if you have the boss on hard mode its more balanced fighting against 2 normal charactors,
or you could have it so you can choose 1 boss and a normal player on a team but only if the boss is set to normal (balanced) mode.

What do ya think?

Intriguing, but there's a reason why characters are 'Balanced'. Boss characters are meant to be strong, though in turn, easily avoidable or slow. If NRS balances boss characters properly, there's no reason to implement your idea.

I agree with what Jinko said, if balanced properly making the bosses damage equal to regular characters wouldn't be necessary. I really want the boss characters to be very hard. Shao Kahn should be extremely powerful and I rather the bosses either not be playable or, extremely difficult to unlock. The bosses attacks are usually easily avoided but powerful. Each boss usually has a weakness which the player must figure out.

The ability to dish out damage is not the only deciding factor on a character's overall strength. Mobility, health, ability to control space, how safe the moves are, etc. should also be taken into consideration. Furthermore characters who seem really powerful when played at a lower level may not be that great at high-level play.

Repeating what I said in another thread, the bosses can be pumped up for a single-player challenge, but nerfed to the level of regular characters in a 2-player match.

Last edited:
Repeating what I said in another, the bosses can be pumped up for a single-player challenge, but nerfed to the level of regular characters in a 2-player match.

^^
I'd go with this.
IF NRS does make boss characters selectable, their attacks (damage wise) should be equivalent to the other character's damage ability, in 2-player mode.

If we can play as one i would like to see those super uppercuts that make the other guy fly high & they go out the screen lol that was kool

I dont want them to have their abilities lowered if you play as them... That just makes them a slower, bigger version of a regular kombatant IMO. Thats why im against having bosses playable, theyre so damn boring to play as, and if theyre toned down, they are somewhat pointless because that takes away from the "boss" mentality.

I dont want them to have their abilities lowered if you play as them... That just makes them a slower, bigger version of a regular kombatant IMO. Thats why im against having bosses playable, theyre so damn boring to play as, and if theyre toned down, they are somewhat pointless because that takes away from the "boss" mentality.

I actually like the idea of the bosses' damage remaining the same, but being somewhat of a challenge to play as. There are ways they could disadvantage their gameplay, with only skilled players being able to use them to their full potential. You'll know they haven't been nerfed, but you'll also know you need to improve as a player to utilize their power. It'll stop them from being boring by presenting a challenge, and also stop them from being pointless by giving you their untampered boss damage. You'll just need to work to keep up that boss mentality. Otherwise, if they're properly balanced like has already been said, none of this will be an issue.

^^
I'd go with this.
IF NRS does make boss characters selectable, their attacks (damage wise) should be equivalent to the other character's damage ability, in 2-player mode.

I agree! I want a playable version of the bosses as well as beefed up unplayable versions.

I actually like the idea of the bosses' damage remaining the same, but being somewhat of a challenge to play as. There are ways they could disadvantage their gameplay, with only skilled players being able to use them to their full potential. You'll know they haven't been nerfed, but you'll also know you need to improve as a player to utilize their power. It'll stop them from being boring by presenting a challenge, and also stop them from being pointless by giving you their untampered boss damage. You'll just need to work to keep up that boss mentality. Otherwise, if they're properly balanced like has already been said, none of this will be an issue.

I dont know, i guess its the fact that they are bosses is a good enough reason for me not to have them playable, they should be there to be beaten by you instead.

the thing i have always liked about the early MKs is that the charactors were all the same speed, they were all even to play as - where as street fighter always had slower charactors that were stronger and faster characters that could jump higher and whatnot,, so playing as a boss charactor thats slower but stronger in MK9 is not for me id rather charactors all played near enough equal in speed and strength, so in saying that id rather the bosses were not playable at all rather than balaced to match speed against strength like SF.

Playing as slow charactors is boring and not very MK

If the bosses were playable id want them the same speed and strength as normal players but they could give them 2 or 3 specials that really do some damage but are harder to perform and/or easy to dodge

Actually, even in MK1-MK3 each character's strikes are not universal. There slight differences in speed, recovery, and range that some attacks better choices than others.

Last edited:
Actually, even in MK1-MK3 each character's strikes are not universal. There slight differences in speed, recovery, and range that some attacks better choices than others.

Exactly right. One random example is from MK2, I recall always having a hard time upercutting Kitana, often caught by her throw. With Baraka though, it was much easier, as it seems he had longer range so timing wasn't so strict.

Exactly right. One random example is from MK2, I recall always having a hard time upercutting Kitana, often caught by her throw. With Baraka though, it was much easier, as it seems he had longer range so timing wasn't so strict.

Uppercut?

lol The only time I can uppercut Kitana is when I do Scorp's turnaround kick, teleport punch, spear combo

otherwise, she grabs me from kick range as soon as I crouch

Scorp's leg scissors are completely useless against ANY fighter in arcade mode, and if you ice puddle or freeze them, they recover incredibly quick.

MK 2 is only really fun against other people...

Uppercut?

lol The only time I can uppercut Kitana is when I do Scorp's turnaround kick, teleport punch, spear combo

otherwise, she grabs me from kick range as soon as I crouch

Scorp's leg scissors are completely useless against ANY fighter in arcade mode, and if you ice puddle or freeze them, they recover incredibly quick.

MK 2 is only really fun against other people...

Not a fan of the uppercut haha? I still find MK2 fun even against CPU. Using SZ I can barely freeze a lot of characters, ice puddle works like a charm for me though, perfect combo set up.

I remember back in MKII if I saw Baraka high on the ladder I knew I was about to spend a shitload of money getting past his chop chop blades, which of course was performed by pressing back,back,back low punch:deal: