Some Tidbits From the new Official Playstation Magazine

Draco Briggs

found the Scorpion/Kratos January OPM in the grocery store today so I thought Id share a lil something. Most is known or can at least be inferred, but I think its still interesting enough to post:

1. Mr. Boon states that there is exactly a 99.9% chance that any of your favs from the first 3 games will be in MK9. This is a step up from his "if you have a fav, he/she will probably be in the game" quote back during E3. What does probably mean? 99.9% lol. I really have no doubt about Sheeva, Rain, and Stryker's inclusion.

2. I am still seeing a bit of confusion about Kratos's "story" in MK9 for some reason. Mag states that though Kratos will have his own story and introduction, he will not be in the official story mode. To me, it sounds like he will have a lil bio just so he doesnt seem like he was randomly "stapled" onto the game. I guess the guy does need a little unofficial integration lol

3. It is uncertain if tag teammates will be able to perform special team-based attacks.

4. Jax does Sheeva's Nail Driver and then punts his opponents head off - football style. (Description only)

5. Folks will get crushed by oncoming Taxicabs. A stage fatality no doubt.

6. Ermac's fatalities include telekinetic attacks where he lifts one in the air and does "horrible, terrible things to them"

7. I found this interesting: Apparently, Jackson Briggs has cybernetic arms AND legs? Thats what the mag says. A mistake maybe?

I saved the best for last:

8. Boon's description of the game: "It's over-the-top to the point that I dont think anybody can even take it seriously anymore." "Its like this campy, funny thing."

Campy: consciously artificial, exaggerated, vulgar Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/campy

A good section of the kommunity thinks some of the women are ill-portrayed. Sonya wears heels, no bra, and no shirt when she is supposed to be a Special Forces agent. Sindel wears "nipple straps" when she is supposed to be this "regal queen". Mileena is a whore, blah blah blah.

Who cares? Like Boon says, this game is not to be taken THAT seriously. Its all for good fun and entertainment and eye candy, not some accurate simulation of character portrayal to please the die-hards. If one cant take the game's campyness - perhaps he/she is anticipating the wrong fighter. Why so? Because in Mortal Kombat land, Special Forces Agents dont need bras to enforce justice and Queens prefer to be provocative while they wear the crown.

#my2cents

Last edited:
Re: Some Tidbits From the new Game Informer

Thank you, this is useful for the people who don't have the magazine

Thank you for the information. I can see the bionic Legs on jax. Did you find out who the two reveled kharacters were?

O woooow. So I made a big mistake. I meant I picked up the new Official Playstation Magazine. Not GI. -_- my bad

Wonder if a mod can correct the thread title? or can I do it?

yeah i too am wondering if two characters were even announced at all, the part where boon said it cant be taken seriously kinda scares me, i had the idea of this game being more of a professional fighter, and I hope he wasnt really thinking when he made that comment.

Thx, you got some cool infos there. Maybe Jax has an alternate outfit with cybernetic arms & legs, we still need a cybernetic head and we'll have Robocop included.

Mods quickly change the name of this thread to avoid mass confusion LOL.

G
yeah i too am wondering if two characters were even announced at all, the part where boon said it cant be taken seriously kinda scares me, i had the idea of this game being more of a professional fighter, and I hope he wasnt really thinking when he made that comment.

Im sorry. I have the january issue of the official playstation magazine, NOT the new GI with the 2 new reveals. This info is koming from the mag that revealed Ermac and features scorpion and Kratos on its cover.

I have a hunch that Quan Chi will make the cut while Rain doesn't.

Thanks. This is some helpful info. Jax's fatality sounds cool too.

It's pretty pathetic, unnecessary and creepy that every female character in the game is being sexed up. In addition, portraying a Special Forces female in slutty attire is highly disrespectful. For a game that is trying to be mature, they are certainly taking a highly immature approach with its female characters.

Thank you for the info :)
Also...
Like Boon says, this game is not to be taken THAT seriously. Its all for good fun and entertainment and eye candy, not some accurate simulation of character portrayal to please the die-hards. If one cant take the game's campyness - perhaps he/she is anticipating the wrong fighter.
I agree with this. Mature presentation doesn't account for realistic portrayal, and I think some people mistakenly tie the two together. The developers may aspire to create lifelike character models and physics, sure, but after that anything's possible. And since every character will have alternate costumes to choose from, everyone's bound to find one that appeals more to their taste; an example of this is the Reptile model, all complaints stopped after the classic skin was exposed. So all it comes down to is a matter of patience, or lack thereof.

Thank you for the info :)
Also...

I agree with this. Mature presentation doesn't account for realistic portrayal

Quote of the Day!

When they say "mature", they mean a mature rating filled with blood and gore and the elimination of blatant "comedic reliefs" like puzzle kombat, motor kombat, friendships, and babalities. The females wont be so grossly campy as to go into battle wearing cat ears and a tail lol...but you can expect Sheeva and Jade to be revealed wearing their "Friday Night Best" lol. Its gonna be campy - with a serious "spice" thrown into the pot for flavor.

MK is not a realistic character portrayal similation.

found the Scorpion/Kratos January OPM in the grocery store today so I thought Id share a lil something. Most is known or can at least be inferred, but I think its still interesting enough to post:

Mr. Boon states that there is exactly a 99.9% chance that any of your favs from the first 3 games will be in MK9. This is a step up from his "if you have a fav, he/she will probably be in the game" quote back during E3. What does probably mean? 99.9% lol. I really have no doubt about Sheeva, Rain, and Stryker's inclusion.

I am still seeing a bit of confusion about Kratos's "story" in MK9 for some reason. Mag states that though Kratos will have his own story and introduction, he will not be in the official story mode. To me, it sounds like he will have a lil bio just so he doesnt seem like he was randomly "stapled" onto the game. I guess the guy does need a little unofficial integration lol

It is uncertain if tag teammates will be able to perform special team-based attacks.

Jax does Sheeva's Nail Driver and then punts his opponents head off - football style. (Description only)

Folks will get crushed by oncoming Taxicabs. A stage fatality no doubt.

Ermac's fatalities include telekinetic attacks where he lifts one in the air and does "horrible, terrible things to them"

First, the fact that Rain is automatically in. People shouldn't get their hopes up too high. I'd like to state, he was not in the arcade MK 1 - 3. He is not guaranteed to be in the main roster. DLC, most likely but there is no guarantee he is in the main roster. He's only ever been playable/fightable in the Home version of UMK3 (doesn't count) MK Trilogy(again doesn't count) and Armageddon (the only legitimate MK he's been in and still it was Armageddon...). I'd say for Rain, his chances are more 75% of being in from the start.

Second, Kratos' story. There should be no confusion on that part. Kratos has a story because he will need a Biography and an ending for the Arcade Ladder like every other character. Just because he won't appear in the Story Mode doesn't mean he doesn't require a story. It'd be a total rip-off if you beat the Arcade Ladder with him and didn't have a story like every other character.

Third, about Jax's Fatality... Really!?!? Damnit! Why can they not think of a better Fatality all these years later? Another pound into the ground Fatality? Really?? Let's see... who has had a Fatality where someone gets hit into the ground now?

MK3 - Sheeva
MKT (N64) - Shao Kahn
MKD (GCN) - Shao Kahn
MK vs DCU - Superman

And every single one of those Fatalities have sucked! As Shao Kahn would say "Is that your best NetherRealm?"

It's pretty pathetic, unnecessary and creepy that every female character in the game is being sexed up. In addition, portraying a Special Forces female in slutty attire is highly disrespectful.

I'm pretty sure Native American Indians don't run around with war paint and tomahawks anymore shooting people with arrows but no one seems to mind that.