Fan Made Mortal Kombat Games

Ricochetmatt

You guys have heard about the different fan made games, right? Some of them are pretty good and others not so much.

My question is... Does anyone know what they use to make these? Do they require an extreme amount of skill to produce?

I'd love to make one but I haven't the faintest idea as to where to begin.

Do you mean make one from scratch? Like drawing the sprites and stuff, if so then I don't know.
If you want to just use klassic MK sprites, you can get mugen and change all the settings and edit the MK characters sprites and moves to prevent infinites and other game breaking things mugen is known for.

Do you mean make one from scratch? Like drawing the sprites and stuff, if so then I don't know.
If you want to just use klassic MK sprites, you can get mugen and change all the settings and edit the MK characters sprites and moves to prevent infinites and other game breaking things mugen is known for.

No, not from scratch. Just in a way where I can tweak already existing MK models and such.

So mugen is the starting point?

From scratch would be awesome, but that's like throwing a baby into the ocean.

No, not from scratch. Just in a way where I can tweak already existing MK models and such.

So mugen is the starting point?

From scratch would be awesome, but that's like throwing a baby into the ocean.

Yeah just get a normal mugen, then you can download the characters, stages, music, and screen pack. you may need to tweak the characters files a little to prevent cheap infinites. It will take a while but if your commited you can make a damn good remake.

Some people have made their own sprites:
0.jpg

These games are garbage. poorly made by people who REALLY dont know what they are doing.

They start as garbage, they need to be correctly configured in order to be good.
It's really fun to make your own "Battle Plan" and choose who the last boss and sub bosses are, where you fight them, what music plays, secret endings and characters. It allows MK fans to make their own ideal MK.

I really hate MK mugen and fan made games. The makers try to cover up the bad gameplay by adding a thousand made up characters and like 50 versions of the same character like mk1 scorpion, mk2 sub zero etc.

Some MUGEN MK is garbage, and some is awesome. Visit www.mugenkombat.tk or www.mkmp.net to get started. Fan Games are the same as fan art or fan fics. Some are entertaining and some just plain suck. And there will always be the haters... "MUGEN is broken and lame with 1 million characters. blah blah blah...."

P.S. If you are serious about making a game, be patient and get a program called fighter factory.

Based on my experience, MK mugen for the most part is underwhelming. I have found some jewels in the rough, those videos are proof that there are some unique and inspired fangames out there. The problem is, most of them never get finished, and on the off chance they do, whatever bugs are found usually never get resolved. Many of them are game breaking, and that's where the fun really ends.

I briefly tried to make my own MK at one point, but lost interest. Only for people with plenty of time on their hands, that is if you want to make something worthwhile.
Ironically, what is most overlooked in these fangames, is gameplay. Solid, balanced gameplay is what I've found most lacking in MK mugen. Whoever gets that right has my admiration.

Eh, this seems like way too much work. Oh well. I don't really have the extreme amount of time to commit to this. Unless someone else wants to make it for me. lol