Select screen portraits

reptilesmile

Anyone else a little disappointed with the portraits with the red backgrounds.

I liked the classics where they had different backgrounds and colors

thoughts?

Yeah. If they remain as they are now it will be a tad disappointing they won't have more "character" to them. But if you really think about it, the portraits as they are now, are a lot smaller than they have been in the past because the cast is so big in this game compared to MK II and MK 3 so it's harder to have those fine details.

Although I still believe having everyone share a red background does seem a tad generic. Hopefully in the final build, they will at least have a variety of colors.

Damn, the thread title confused me.
I came in here thinking that you posted NEW "select screen portraits." :-(

LOL i got all excited too :p. Okay come on, its only a portrait, i doubt while youre choosing a character right before a FIGHT, youre gonna be like, oh what a nice background in sonyas portrait, it complements her face well :p.

I'm pretty sure the menu screen we're seeing won't be in the final product...

as far as the portraits though.... i think they're here to stay

I just hope kitana gets sober before launch, because she looks drunk in hers

I totally agree, mk4, was the last with big portraits, yea i know, is only a detail, but i really miss that, i dont know why Netherealm studios are making too small portraits and so big the characters in the side.
If someone ask me, i really like, when the background have (marble texture) aka: marmol.

Is only a detail.

MK9withhiddens.jpg

Dude, I'm so ****ing rawking Papa Smurf! And I hope the Green M&M's outfit isn't too revealing, I'd hate for her to be a Mileena clone :/

But seriously, they've gone with the Red/Blue background for the last couple games. It's not as catchy, and they've used it sort out the good and bad guys as well before.

Either way they go, I'm indifferent.

Character Portrait background could use some work plain red background is boring put some red faded skulls with red mist i n the background and it'll be so much better

Character Portrait background could use some work plain red background is boring put some red faded skulls with red mist i n the background and it'll be so much better

Better yet, a black or silver background with blood stains all over will be better.

I like the subtle red background, it gives the impression of elegance. Placing cliche skulls or blood stains would cheapen it up IMO. Having that same red background on the portraits keeps consistency too, as well as since the portraits are fairly small, a detailed background would be intrusive on displaying the character.

I even wish they would omit the wax-like blood stain in the pause menu. If they must do it at least make the blood realistic so it doesn't look like a candle was dripped on the screen. Just nitpicks!

i think the current select screen couldnt have been better. it isnt too much colorful or annoying to watch, just the character on a black backround. i think its also showing how serious this game is compared to the past games.

LOL i got all excited too :p. Okay come on, its only a portrait, i doubt while youre choosing a character right before a FIGHT, youre gonna be like, oh what a nice background in sonyas portrait, it complements her face well :p.

Not to beat a dead horse, because i'm tired of reading all the complaints and rants about Kratos, but I found this statement a bit funny. You are one of the most vocal about how much you would hate to see Kratos on the Select Screen, as it would just irritate and annoy you to no end. Yet, the backgrounds of the MK characters portraits, aren't a big deal and won't bother you before a fight. You don't have to take this as an insult, nor do you have to respond to it, but I just found that a bit ironic. 1 person's picture is enough to upset and aggrevate you, but the actual 26 MK character's backgrounds are a minor detail that likely won't even be noticed nor important enough to care about. Interesting.

I hope every portrait will have it's own BG like in MKT.
mktselect_2.png

Me too. This may seem odd that I remember this, but when I was at the very young age of 3(when I first remember playing MK 1993), one of the things I strongly remember visually were the background portraits of each character. They said a lot about the character with such simple imagery. Darkness for Scorpion, ice for Sub-Zero, sunset for Liu, lightning for Raiden, lights for Cage...I really dug that. I've never really cared too much about them being included or not since, that I can recall, but I'd love to have them back. I see absolutely no reason not to, as it's simple aesthetics that make the select screen more appealing. A simple gradient just doesn't have the same effect, and doesn't make each character stand out as much as the unique portraits do. I'm not one who gets bothered very easily by details such as that, but I haven't really been too blown away by the select screens for the past few games, and I think the backgrounds might be what's been the missing piece. Never really noticed it until now...

Me too. This may seem odd that I remember this, but when I was at the very young age of 3(when I first remember playing MK 1993), one of the things I strongly remember visually were the background portraits of each character. They said a lot about the character with such simple imagery. Darkness for Scorpion, ice for Sub-Zero, sunset for Liu, lightning for Raiden, lights for Cage...I really dug that. I've never really cared too much about them being included or not since, that I can recall, but I'd love to have them back. I see absolutely no reason not to, as it's simple aesthetics that make the select screen more appealing. A simple gradient just doesn't have the same effect, and doesn't make each character stand out as much as the unique portraits do. I'm not one who gets bothered very easily by details such as that, but I haven't really been too blown away by the select screens for the past few games, and I think the backgrounds might be what's been the missing piece. Never really noticed it until now...

I agree 100% :) Some are more revealing than others. It's impressive how good each BG blends with each character.

Not to beat a dead horse, because i'm tired of reading all the complaints and rants about Kratos, but I found this statement a bit funny. You are one of the most vocal about how much you would hate to see Kratos on the Select Screen, as it would just irritate and annoy you to no end. Yet, the backgrounds of the MK characters portraits, aren't a big deal and won't bother you before a fight. You don't have to take this as an insult, nor do you have to respond to it, but I just found that a bit ironic. 1 person's picture is enough to upset and aggrevate you, but the actual 26 MK character's backgrounds are a minor detail that likely won't even be noticed nor important enough to care about. Interesting.

Uh i didnt say the select screen buddy, i said in the game completely... And yeah there is a difference, were talking about backgrounds on the select screen, opposed to an actual character on the select screen. I think theres a big difference in that aspect. How is it ironic that i would be pissed off at a specific character being in the game, and at the same time, not care about the background of a select screen... there is no tie in between those two at all.