Getting An Official Statement

jarvis653

EDIT:
In light of some continued, lengthy discussion on this game's development, I've decided to forgo all plans on obtaining an official statement. Even if the situation did warrant it, the (unsurprising) lack of interest towards this topic would make it a waste of time. For now I'm happy to extend some patience, and encourage everyone to do the same.

So haven't posted here in a while, but I've been following the constant discussion, and I think it's time to do something about all this.

From the looks of it, there is a significant amount of people (myself included) who care greatly about this game being released. At the very least, getting to the bottom of this longstanding rumour. Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I don't remember the last time such a thing occurred with another game.

Despite my previous topic, in which I argued against this game being a true HD remake and instead being simply direct arcade ports (or at most only partial HD graphic updates), I still wish the full rumour to be true, and I am still just as interested in exactly what this game is (or was).

The fact is, all the information we have did come from somewhere, and while it hasn't been officially confirmed, it hasn't been officially denied. If anything, it's been avoided. TRMK had a source, the *leaked* box art has a source, and the various companies who listed the game for pre-orders also had a source. While I still hold my doubts on the reliability of TRMK's insider, it is still a source regardless. The game is or was real, in whatever form, and there's a lot of people in the know that aren't talking. I for one don't believe it was simply a prank that went viral.

MK has a huge community, and it's longevity gives it the advantage of having a fanbase within older generations also. There's probably more people out there that are interested in this game than is apparent, it's not just this forum, it's all over the net. So with such a formidable fanbase behind the game, the question is...

Why aren't we doing anything about it?
Not trying to go all braveheart on everyone, but seriously, let's start getting answers. All we've been doing is speculating and arguing over this game for months and months, I think it's time we take some iniative. I know that people have asked before and been met with no reply, but I'm confident that if the whole MK community on here and on other sites got behind this, we'd get what we were after eventually. Call me naive, but I think with enough interest, whoever's in charge would have to reveal something about it, even as simple as stating it's in development, it's delayed, or outright cancelled.

I anticipate a lot of you to scoff at this post, but hopefully it'll inspire some of you. Besides, what's the harm in trying? Otherwise we can continue doing nothing at all. If every single person on here sent one email, that's significant progress already. With your help I'd like to make a plan, a list of people to contact and how to best approach the matter. If you have time to constantly lurk the forums about this game, you have time to do a simple thing with a lot of potential.

And if you're one of those people who think we have no right to ask them about it, I disagree. As loyal customers, we have the right to DEMAND. If there's demand, there will be supply.

Anyone here with me? If so, let's get started.

Last edited:
I anticipate a lot of you to scoff at this post, but hopefully it'll inspire some of you. Besides, what's the harm in trying? Otherwise we can continue doing nothing at all. If every single person on here sent one email, that's significant progress already. With your help I'd like to make a plan, a list of people to contact and how to best approach the matter. If you have time to constantly lurk the forums about this game, you have time to do a simple thing with a lot of potential.

And if you're one of those people who think we have no right to ask them about it, I disagree. As loyal customers, we have the right to DEMAND. If there's demand, there will be supply.

Anyone here with me? If so, let's get started.

I'm not scoffing at your post, but I AM one of those who's tried to get answers about the HD Kollection.
I've tried everyone on Twitter from Ed Boon to Rigo Cortes, to Hector Sanchez, to the MK Community Manager, only to be met with utter silence each time I ask.
It's gotten to the point where I just don't give a damn anymore, and just continued focusing on MK 9, instead.

There's only so many times that you can get shot down or be met with silence, before you just say:
"What's the point?"
"It's not like they're listening."

I think it's great you were one of the few who have asked them about it, but unfortunately, you're one of the few. And of course, it'd be easy to ignore such a small amount of interest. But if the whole community did what you did, I think it'd be a different story. Not that's it likely everyone would, but if people can spend so much time complaining over the lack of info, surely they can spend a fraction of that time trying to acquire it instead.

Being that WB owns the MK brand, they have a LOT of sayso in what info is announced (officially) and what isn't. Asking Boon, Hec or anyone on that level will probably prove futile on a direct level. There's clip where Ed says they're not supposed to talk about this game, so obviously there is some sort of legal boundary keeping these guys from talking about it. At best, harassing these guys will produce info little sooner, but you're just as likely to piss people off, too.

And I hate to say it, but the demanding part of your spiel is laughable. You can DEMAND whatever you want, but that doesn't mean they're gonna cave. They don't owe anyone anything.

This hasn't been officially denied, and there is so much evidence supporting its existence that it was obviously being developed at some point... so much so that they'd probably issue an official denial if it were canceled (which I don't see happening since this is thing would rake in the $$$). It's out there and it's coming. It sucks that there's no tangible or official info, but it's coming, so chill the $@&# out.

Couldn't be more chilled out if I tried. Just trying to bring everyone together on something that's been a source of concern here for a long time now. Please don't confuse my post with venting.

Yes WB owns the MK brand, yes they make the rules, but we as consumers are the bottom line. Demand is not laughable, demand is basic economics. It's not about making them cave, it's about demanding a product. In this case, an official statement regarding the product's existence/development, informing its potential buyers.

As for Boon, Hec or "anyone on that level" prevented from speaking about MKHD due to legal boundaries, that's based on the interpretation of a remark, it's not fact at all. Besides I never told anyone to *harass* anyone in particular at this point. Like I said in my post..."With your help I'd like to make a plan, a list of people to contact and how to best approach the matter". It's not like I wanna start a riot. At the same time, I couldn't care less if I piss people at WB off. There's no reason I should care.

Instead of arguing, why don't we just try what I've proposed? It probably requires the same amount of effort, and we're at least working towards a common goal. I'm sure you'd like more info on this game just the same as me.

Last edited:
Instead of arguing, why don't we just try what I've proposed?

I agree that the power of the mass could at least make them say something about it. a YES or NO will suffice (if of course they do know something about it, I imagine them lost actually between "yes" or "no). But before starting any plan you should check with the administrator of TRMK if he agrees (it's my opinion since you want to use the TRMK mass). Maybe other MK forums could join the cause to amplify the effect. I guess we have nothing to loose. Personnaly I don't care much anymore, WB got me tired with all this crappy organisation.

I mostly agree with the OP. Probably not the best thing to pester Boon or anyone directly at NRS, though (remember, the rumor is that they aren't even involved). That alone may explain why he and Hans couldn't talk about it.... it's not their project.

One idea that could get our voices heard, in a civil way, would be to start an online petition. I'm not sure what's all involved with doing that, so hopefully someone here does, but I've seen them before. You set something up at another website, basically state your cause or concern, such as: "Dear Warner Bros., new and old fans of the Mortal Kombat franchise are in support of an HD remake of the classic Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 arcade games." Then, whoever would like to see this game made would sign it. Simple and organized.

As I had said before, for all we know, WB canned the game. It does cost time and money to make a game, be it a simple port, something brand new or just an "HD update". I remember someone saying the HD Kollection didn't make sense because MK9 was essentially just that, only much better (remember in the previous MKast one guy said, "No one wants to play an old game with updated graphics"). To the true, original fans of the MK franchise that couldn't be further from the truth. MK, MKII and UMK3 are unique and nothing since has felt as those games do. They are "klassics" for a reason. Mortal Kombat wouldn't mean squat to us today without those iconic games. To relive those in stunning, beautiful high definition.... let me just say, fans do want that (anyone notice the amazing sales of the ports on PSN and XBOX Live???). And yes, we would still want MK9. But I digress.

Anyhow, if we could start a petition, showing our support for the MK HD Kollection and get several thousand signatures, then send it to WB headquarters... I think they'd take notice. If it got really big, I think we could get some major names to sign it - many celebs are fans of MK, other game designers are (Dave Jaffe comes to mind), folks from IGN, Gamespot, GameTrailers and G4 probably support it as well. Again, it's just an idea, but I think it's creative and constructive without being annoying and harassing.

Thoughts?

Couldn't be more chilled out if I tried. Just trying to bring everyone together on something that's been a source of concern here for a long time now. Please don't confuse my post with venting.

Yes WB owns the MK brand, yes they make the rules, but we as consumers are the bottom line. Demand is not laughable, demand is basic economics. It's not about making them cave, it's about demanding a product. In this case, an official statement regarding the product's existence/development, informing its potential buyers.

As for Boon, Hec or "anyone on that level" prevented from speaking about MKHD due to legal boundaries, that's based on the interpretation of a remark, it's not fact at all. Besides I never told anyone to *harass* anyone in particular at this point. Like I said in my post..."With your help I'd like to make a plan, a list of people to contact and how to best approach the matter". It's not like I wanna start a riot. At the same time, I couldn't care less if I piss people at WB off. There's no reason I should care.

Instead of arguing, why don't we just try what I've proposed? It probably requires the same amount of effort, and we're at least working towards a common goal. I'm sure you'd like more info on this game just the same as me.

I didn't really mean the "chill out" portion quite so aggressively. Forgive my middle-of-the-night posting.

I think they're gonna have this out by the end of the year. There were many high-profile sites/retailers (Wal-Mart, Sony) listing it for it for the Nov 16 release, so I'm betting they just pushed the date back a bit. If this is true, then your plan is rather useless because they will already have the announcement plan in order and I don't see them changing it on such short notice.

How is Boon saying he's not allowed to talk about it not evidence of his secrecy bindings? If were able talk about it, WTF wouldn't he do so? It's an assumption that he's legally bound, but either way, he's bound in some manner or he'd spill the beans or deny it.

The only contact I have with anyone near this project is Facebook. The fan page on there is getting regular Mortal Kombat updates, and every time they do so, I ask for more info on the HD Kollection instead. I've been doing this since this rumor dropped, and so far I've gotten no response. It's OBVIOUS that this game is in the works, so I don't need a real confirmation. I wouldn't mind having one, so whining to their FB page is all I'm willing to give.

If were able talk about it, WTF wouldn't he do so? It's an assumption that he's legally bound, but either way, he's bound in some manner or he'd spill the beans or deny it.

I think Jarvis653's plan is to counter this secrecy that binds Boon & the others to silence by making WB or whoever is in charge to change it's strategy and decide to be open with all this story.

One idea that could get our voices heard, in a civil way, would be to start an online petition. I'm not sure what's all involved with doing that, so hopefully someone here does, but I've seen them before. You set something up at another website, basically state your cause or concern, such as: "Dear Warner Bros., new and old fans of the Mortal Kombat franchise are in support of an HD remake of the classic Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 arcade games." Then, whoever would like to see this game made would sign it. Simple and organized.

That's exactly the kind of ideas I'm after, simple and civil.

To reiterate, there should be no blatant pestering/harassing of anyone. I don't think x amount of "Give Mortal Kombat HD Kollection!" emails would achieve anything anyhow. What I'd like to do is to brainstorm ways of acquiring more information, showing the large demand for this game, and creating things like the petition that the whole community can get behind in a simple and effective manner, which also has the potential to gain support from the gaming media.
Getting the right contact list is also important, so that we're sending messages to the right people. It might seem all a bit complicated, but if we take one step at a time, and there is strong support from the community, it'll be a lot easier than it sounds.

So the first I'll do is get the petition up. Once that's rolling, and there's more interest and ideas, we can move on to the next step. In the meantime, anyone that's reading this post and cares about this game, I encourage you to get involved. If a single topic about MKHD on this one particular forum can amass almost 18000 views, surely there's some hope.

Last edited:
I think they're gonna have this out by the end of the year. There were many high-profile sites/retailers (Wal-Mart, Sony) listing it for it for the Nov 16 release, so I'm betting they just pushed the date back a bit. If this is true, then your plan is rather useless because they will already have the announcement plan in order and I don't see them changing it on such short notice.

The release dates on the various websites, those who haven't taken the game down, seem to be listing just about any date, even around the time that MK 2011 is coming out. The inconsistency just doesn't sit right with me. I personally see no reason to believe any announcement plan is in order. My goal is to find out what happened/is happening with the game, the nature of its development, what progress was made or is being made. And if the game was cancelled, show that there's enough demand to start it up again. I know, high expectations right? But again, what's the harm in trying? As for the game being *obviously* in the works, well I wouldn't call it obvious at all. It's been basically shrouded in mystery and speculation since we first heard of it.

Getting the right contact list is also important, so that we're sending messages to the right people. It might seem all a bit complicated, but if we take one step at a time, and there is strong support from the community, it'll be a lot easier than it sounds.

Twitter and Facebook are your friends. I'm not much into either, but it's the best way to spread information and get in contact with people. Lots of members of the MK team follow the Twitter accounts of the major MK fan sites (such as TRMK). If they can "tweet" about the petition, with a link, and then have it retweeted, lots of fans will see it. Not only that, but if it gets big enough, it's possible a gaming website might write a story about the determination of the loyal Mortal Kombat Kommunity. Who knows? It couldn't hurt.

Yes those are the most civil and rational ways to find out info.

1. Do a petition and advertise it.

2. Ask the major game sites for info, or to go hunting for it. IGN, G4, GameTrailers, etc. Don't pester them, ask nicely. Use their twitters, their comment section, email them directly. They have big deep contacts straight from the sources in the gaming world. They might even know some info themselves, but are under NDA (legally can't speak about it). But once they see all these questions and interest, they will pressure their gaming contacts to find out something or do something about it. If Backbone is rumored to be making this, tell them to talk to Backbone, or contact Backbone yourself. Also, maybe Patrick can ask his contact to see what happened with the live actor recording at the studio? :)

3. Get official statements from WB, even if it's a 'no comment'. So at least the PR people know that they can't be bottled up and to tell the WB big guys to change their strategy of the announcement, whenever it would happen. This is related to the previous idea -get the major sites to go directly to WB for comments.

But even as we do this, we shouldn't expect any strategies to change, and maybe an announcement will go as WB planned in the first place. To me, this would all be for nothing, since I think that an announcement about this will have to come very soon, or come much later (a year from now). But much much more likely very soon. It never hurts to try.

Remember to stay positive when contacting anyone, and in general, so you don't get mad and get hissy fits if info or the game itself doesn't come out. If you want to 'stand up' and not buy another MK game again because you found out about leaks that WB didn't want to come out, fine. But you're just hurting yourself of the future game's enjoyment, and are not really hurting the game's sales at all by your stubbornness.

P.S. Do NOT pester Boon and the NetherRealm team about this game. They are working hard on the MK9 game (likely not the Kollection), and can't leak any info on the Kollection unless WB says yes. WB holds all the control.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that online petitions aren't considered reliable to since anyone can sign them an infinite number of times. It's pretty much a waste of time and I'd think making light of this issue through FB or Twitter would be far more lucrative.

Anyhow. Any idea who to contact at WB? The only people I know of are people directly employed at NRS, so your 3 point needs a little more info to be acted upon.

After a few minutes of quick googling, I got a few things.

WB Games has 6 studios under it - Monolith, Snowblind Studios, Surreal, NetherRealm, WB Games Montreal (a new studio), and Turbine. Backbone was rumored only because they did one of the network ports of the old games. I think NetherRealm is not making it, so we still have 5 (or 6 studios with Backbone) that are possible. Try to find their websites, check their specific company forums if they have any, contact customer service, etc.

Also, here's WB Games facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/wbgames

But this is not our work to pester WB directly which will give us nothing and make their facebook people mad at the annoying MK fans. We have to tell the MAJOR GAME SITES to pester WB from the INSIDE, to the ones that have control in this issue.

I posted on the wall you linked. Like it and comment on it so it might get more notice.

EDIT:
Gamespot's FB

IGN's FB

Posted questions on both of these asking if they were getting anything. Click on the "JUST OTHERS" button and like it, comment on it or make your own.

Last edited:
yeah im thinking either it doesnt exist, or its not coming out in november, i also dont think netherrealms would make a game just because some people online say they should in a petition

i'm content plugging in my sega and blowing on the cartridges to play these 3 games.
my advice is to stop obsessing over these rumors.

Those versions were terrible in their days, let alone in 2010 but blow to your heart's content :p (/no homo) You've got much better alternatives already even without a collection, on console and of course, MAME.

You've been doubtful since you started posting here, but look around. The listings on various Euro stores and whatnot isn't anecdotal evidence. This thing exists, or existed, and if it's still underway, it's a matter of getting an announcement out from WB.

If it's canceled, we won't be hearing a beep out of them.

You can play the arcade versions via MAME, Threadwood. No blowing needed. Haha.