Question about the reputation system

Etryus

Hi everyone,

There are few things I didn't get about the reputation system, if someone would explain please. I read the thread "Reputation as TRMKarma?" initiated by Patrick, and I find the MK 3 dragon and skull logo a great idea (there should be a raiden icon too lol).
But I am unable to link logically the reputation number shown in "settings" to the reputation level shown under the avatar.
I am asking because by nature I like to understand things. I hope my question is not misplaced.

Cheers

Yeah I would like to know too.

You see, when you hover over the Dragon logo it shows your status. You are 'On a Distinguished road". I have "A spectacular aura about".

But the thing is, I'm pretty sure I've seen people with the same Rep but different status.

I don't really understand/pay much attention to it. As you can see, mine isn't so great because I questioned the professionalism of a board moderator, whose response of lowering my rep partnered with childish insults only further proved my point.
In any case, I don't get it either.

what makes you think a moderator did it? any user could have left it, but if it was warranted, why so serious?

It could very well be that other users have disapprove your posts, thus lowering your rep.

I don't pay any attention to it since people with actual substance will shine, regardless of their rep.

I don't really understand/pay much attention to it. As you can see, mine isn't so great because I questioned the professionalism of a board moderator, whose response of lowering my rep partnered with childish insults only further proved my point.

I don't care much either, I just like to understand how things work.

@MAGNUM2699 lol man, what dictatoship?! No need to abuse, anyway, I received you friend request on PSN, when I accepted it said that an error occured.

Certain individual's (those with more rep) carry more weight when passing out Karma (+ or -). From what I see through your post history is, you received a -karma for bumping a 2 year old topic, and if it came from the mod that commented, then it carried significant weight. I'm not sure if anyone has given you any +karma since then, but if so, it didn't factor as heavily. One +karma for your insightful posts in the MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped. thread (which is deserved) was enough to turn it around.

I won't say I fully understand the system, because the numbers and such don't make sense to me and I've never really attempted to decipher the system, I just wish it was used on a more regular basis by all members. (I haven't gotten any rep since, well, I just got one today, but before that it was 06/10).

What I can tell you by looking at my Karma/Reputation is, some of it doesn't effect you at all because of the Karma of the issuer and some people are more apt to give it out than others.

I have 165 points, 2 dragons and "a spectacular aura about". Tim Static has 3 dragons and the same title, so I'm lost on that point.

It also seems the users with the most Karma, The List are also the ones that dole it out more frequently (and we've all been here a good while).

Rocky has the worst on the board currently "can only hope to improve" (I'm not sure what the exact lowest title is, or what it will earn you aside from a pink name with a line through it.

I doubt this post sheds much light, but hopefully you picked up something from it.

Thanks for sharing what you know. However, I don't see much of an incentive to use the rep system. It seems to be subjective in nature. Holding an unpopular view means potentially losing points, even if one did not violate TOS.

Well, seeing as how I missed answering your first question, Etryus, while I was focusing on threadwood's, here's an explanation for that.

The reputation points you see on your Settings page does not correlate to the amount of "Rep Power" you see below your avatar.

The reputation points you see in the settings tab is an accumulation of points (dependent on the type of karma and the givers "rep power") you've received added to the sum of your points directly reflected by the givers "rep power" at the time given. Therefor, if I were to give you a +/-karma on a post, your reputation points would go up or down 51, being that my "rep power" is 51. If you were to give me +/-karma, mine would move 2 points.

So "Rep Power" is merely a numerical figure given to the weight of someone's reputation giving ability, where as the reputation you see in your settings is just a sum of all reputation received, based on the rep power of the giver, positive or negative.

(a special thanks to those that threw some rep my way so I could verify the above info!)

Shablagoo!

That's easily the best explanation I've seen of the rep system so far.

I'll add that post count also appears to increase your rep power automatically, which helps to explain why the top posters also have the highest reputation (like me; I don't generally even receive rep on a regular basis).

I don't care much either, I just like to understand how things work.

@MAGNUM2699 lol man, what dictatoship?! No need to abuse, anyway, I received you friend request on PSN, when I accepted it said that an error occured.

i'll try again

Well, seeing as how I missed answering your first question, Etryus, while I was focusing on threadwood's, here's an explanation for that.

The reputation points you see on your Settings page does not correlate to the amount of "Rep Power" you see below your avatar.

The reputation points you see in the settings tab is an accumulation of points (dependent on the type of karma and the givers "rep power") you've received added to the sum of your points directly reflected by the givers "rep power" at the time given. Therefor, if I were to give you a +/-karma on a post, your reputation points would go up or down 51, being that my "rep power" is 51. If you were to give me +/-karma, mine would move 2 points.

So "Rep Power" is merely a numerical figure given to the weight of someone's reputation giving ability, where as the reputation you see in your settings is just a sum of all reputation received, based on the rep power of the giver, positive or negative.

(a special thanks to those that threw some rep my way so I could verify the above info!)

Shablagoo!

Thanks, I was trying to understand the link between those 2 numbers and your explanation is very clear. Your answer to threadwood was also very informative.

Reactions: Eks

I only have 15 posts, none of which are negative or insulting in any way. Also, the private messages from the moderator back up my theory...quite well.

It really does help if you tell the truth.

You bumped a two year old thread and to top that off, you bumped it by answering the question after several other members had already answered it. I kindly asked you not to bump old threads that have already been answered and that I also doubted the person who asked still posted here. You took offence to the fact that I had posted that in the thread so you decided to send me a PM loaded with insults, in which BOTH your PMs and mine were posted for all mods and admins to see so I have witnesses to your behaviour. I don't recall using childish insults while addressing you. I continued to tell you that we don't encourage old thread bumping unless it is relevent. Your bump was irrelevent and pointless because it was already answered in 2008.

Don't bring this up again. If you have issues, bring it to PM. Otherwise, get over it. You break a rule, you get told about it. Simple as that. If you don't like to be told something, don't log in. You were never told in a disrespectful way. You were asked nicely not to do it. End of story.

As for rep, I don't know why people care so much. It's a square in a forum. The fact that people get upset over squares in a forum is ridiculous. It doesn't make you any more or less of a person.

ditto.
no one else suggested performing Liu Kang's fatality similarly to the Kano ball.
this site is dedicated to Mortal Kombat.

Holy shit, LET IT GO. You bumped an old thread that did not need to be bumped, which is against The Forum Rules, and got negative rep for it. So what? Whether you like it or not, it is a rule and moderators such as Jade and myself are here to enforce these rules. If you really feel that this was such an incredible injustice inflicted upon you by a staff member who was only doing their job, take it up with the administrator. Otherwise, drop it.

If you really feel that this was such an incredible injustice inflicted upon you by a staff member who was only doing their job, take it up with the administrator.

And trust me, that admin will tell you the same. And to be frank, be grateful because there are site that would infract or ban you for doing what you did.

Bumping old threads is against the forum rules which you can read here. Now if the author of that thread bumped it himself saying "hey I'm still having problems with this" then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Tim is right, most other forums would simply give you an Infraction or Ban you for such things. We use this Reputation/Karma system instead. You can earn better Rep/Karma by well just making good posts in other places, instead of coming here and arguing about why you broke the rules.

Just act like a grown up and admit you were wrong, and lets move on.

I've got a question too. Sometimes when I click on the little star to give someone a sweet tap of my rep stick, nothing happens. So I wait a few more seconds, like thirty or so, then I click it again but it says "You must spread rep before giving more to . . .". The problem is with my slow internet. But my question is, even though the rep box doesn't show up, does that person still get rep from me? And is it good rep or bad rep? I don't want to accidentally give a homie any negativity.

"I approve" is always checked by default, so I'd assume that if it went through, it was positive. If it's asking you to spread rep around, then I'd assume it went through, unless you're always trying to rep the same person.