MK vs Street fighter

rocky

BANALITY
ahhhhh the rivalry of 2 of the most iconic fighting games continues :) its fact that Edd boon has wanted to see a MK vs SF crossover for the past 10 years, i think this crossover will happen sometime in the future, the question is will it be any good and how would they go about it? would street fighter dare to get all bloody!! or will they tone down like in MK vs DC,, with a lot of fans upset at the lack of gore in MK vs DC chances are they dont want to make that same mistake twice, so i think SF would be joing the netherrelm universe rather than the other way round,
i would like to see this cross over happen just for the hell of it, but they would have to make the SF charactors more real looking as they join the MK universe which would look great,
some people like both MK and street fighter but some only like one or the other so 'SF only fans' would want to kick the crap out of the MK players and the 'MK only fans' would be vise versa :) and players who like both could mix together interesting teams of Mk and SF charactors

personally i think both games should keep their own seperate fighting engines so if your a SF charactor they play just like in SF and if your a MK charactor it plays just like MK, but it would be really difficult to balance eg SF has to hold back for a few seconds for some moves which would give MK an advantage with speed, and holding back to block wont work against teleports, but im sure these things could be ironed out if the Netherrelm team and Capcom team got together and put their thinking caps on.

So lets say for arguments sake that they have everything balanced out
would you be interested in this game?

what do you guys think?

i can see Ryu vs lui kang already and fei long vs johnny cage (both hollywood actors) and maybe some good cross over teams like Sonya and Guile, and Nightwolf and T-hawk or Barakka and Blanka

and how awsome would blanka look in the MK universe! hah

You can't have more than one fighting engine at once. It has to play like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, or a new engine that acts as a compromise between aspects of both series. The same can be said with the art direction. You don't want too much clash between styles.

Not many characters in SF are charged-base, most of them have quarter- or half-circle commands. Chun Li, Bison, Balrog, and Vega may be chargers, but they are among the faster characters in the series. Through charge buffering, players can have their move ready at all times. This is the technique that allows Guile players to throw sonic booms in rapid succession.

Under the assumption that directional blocking is used, teleport attacks can take a while to get used to, but not impossible to deal with. It's really not that different from defending against cross-ups, which requires blocking in the opposite direction. It would be interesting if there are front and back variation of the teleport attacks for mix-up.

I honestly don't see this working unless they take the Street Fighter X Tekken route and make two seperate games, one developed by Netherrealm with the MK gameplay and Capcom doing the Street Fighter gameplay

The 2 universes are millions of light years away from each other. Even though I am big fan of SF & MK (for 18 years) , I fear for the worst would happen if they cross each other. And we can say good bye to fatalities because capcom will never accept the characters to be torn, explode, decapitated, cute in 2-3-4-9-1256 pieces.
About the chargers, they could change that and transform all the moves to quarter circle style input.
I am not against it but the idea kinda blocks me a bit. If it happens who knows, I might be surprised.

No. Street Fighter only needs to cross with Tekken, and its happening. Be happy with that.

I wonder what'll be the outcome of this game, the Tekken engine does not deliver fluid gameplay like the SF one. The gameplay feels fractionate. I hope they remedy to that.

I wonder what'll be the outcome of this game, the Tekken engine does not deliver fluid gameplay like the SF one. The gameplay feels fractionate. I hope they remedy to that.

Not true. You ought to watch some high level play if you think that Tekken isn't fluid (or some think it's slow). Sure, that may have been true in 1995, but that was 15 years ago. Besides, they're doing two versions for a reason to cater to both 2D and 3D fans.

As for an MK crossover, it's really unlikely because of the development issues and Capcom isn't exactly open to the idea. SF is deep, methodical and caters to hardcore fighter fans while MK has always been (even UMK3 compared to respective SF's) simpler and more of a casual affair. Boon & co. are well aware of that, and well, it's worked so far where it matters: the bottom line.

It's currently the 3rd best selling fighter series, and isn't that far behind SF (Tekken is #1 sales and revenue wise). I recall that they outsold other fighters last gen in the US, and I think that may be the case because of the return to M-rated affairs.

Honestly, they should make 2 games, like street fighter x tekken and tekken x street fighter. Both companies have a shit load of money to blow to make these games, and the revenue theyll get, especially because there are a ton of SF and MK fans who will be willing to buy both games, will be outstanding. I dont understand why capcom wouldnt mind their characters getting finished in such a gruesome fashion, i swear the animated films and stuff had blood in them so why not include that in a game. DC Universe minding the decapitations and stuff, i can understand that cuz theyre heroes with a lot of kids i guess "looking up to them". If anything, if they ever do make 2 games, i would say the Netherrealm Studios game should have the fatalities and blood and gore so at least the MK fans can be happy with that. Capcom can do whatever the hell they want to their own game, just as long as they license Netherrealm studios to include the blood and gore and gruesome fatalities in the Netherrealm studios game. If Capcom just has the MK characters and their special moves in their game, i will be satisfied enough with that.

Not true. You ought to watch some high level play if you think that Tekken isn't fluid (or some think it's slow).

It isn't about the player's level, it's about how the move's animation. The move is performed very fast then the characters slows down before executing another fast move. It's like a succession of fast moves separated by slower animations, and I don't feel that in SF 4 (personnal opinion)
That said, I haven't seen Tekken 6 yet but I am planning on getting it soon, I hope I will be satisfied. Don't get me wrong I like Tekken alot, I am a big fan of Heihachi & Baek.

It isn't about the player's level, it's about how the move's animation. The move is performed very fast then the characters slows down before executing another fast move. It's like a succession of fast moves separated by slower animations, and I don't feel that in SF 4 (personnal opinion)
That said, I haven't seen Tekken 6 yet but I am planning on getting it soon, I hope I will be satisfied. Don't get me wrong I like Tekken alot, I am a big fan of Heihachi & Baek.

Tekken has a pretty good speed and flow once you get into it. SF4 is actually slower than the 2D games like Alpha and 3rd Strike.

Back to the topic, its almost guaranteed that they would make 2 separate games.That's the way the did it with SNK and NAMCO so I'm positive they would follow the same pattern with SFvMK.

Last edited:
It isn't about the player's level, it's about how the move's animation. The move is performed very fast then the characters slows down before executing another fast move.

It has a lot to do with proper playing especially when a game has 90+ moves/variations per character, and the speed and properties of the moves vary. In Tekken, moreso than any game, frame data is very important because those recovery animations (slowness) can make or break a game. Movement is very important too (wavedashing and backdash canceling)

It may not have the twitchy speed of 2D games, but it's fast. But on that, the MK does look slower than SSFIV.

This idea also incites the idea of a Tekken/MK cross-over. Doesn't really interest me, but I'm sure it would sell.

I honestly don't see this working unless they take the Street Fighter X Tekken route and make two seperate games, one developed by Netherrealm with the MK gameplay and Capcom doing the Street Fighter gameplay

Agreed. The mechanics are too different to combine them into one game and expect the game not to be wonky and frustrating. The block mechanism alone makes two separate games a must.

@Etryus: I'd gladly ignore fatalities and gore if the gameplay was great. Those things are nice, but not essential.

Call me crazy, but i think street fighter sucks!!!! the idea of merging these two titles together makes me sick. I hate this idea more than quan chi's fatality when he stretches your neck out!!! on the other hand.........rippin Ryu's spine out, freezing him, and shattering his body with it does entice me!!

I think it would be better for MK to vs Killer Instinct. Street fighter and MK would just never mix well, either they (SF) would take our fatalities or we (MK) would take their speed. Besides KI could keep their ultra combo finishes and MK could bring back brutalities. And I'm pretty sure that no normal person wants to see lil' ol' Sakura getting sawed in half.

Call me crazy, but i think street fighter sucks!!!!

You may not like it, but I think every single fighter fan out there owes some respect to the series that defined the genre as it is today. If it weren't for SFII, there would be no MK, VF, Tekken etc. It's not a secret that MK itself was at the time, Midway's answer to the SFII phenomenon.

@Etryus: I'd gladly ignore fatalities and gore if the gameplay was great. Those things are nice, but not essential.

I think many people on this board would disagree with you Eks. Those attributes makes MK what it is today. Now if they manage to merge the 2 worlds with a flawless gameplay, it would be awsome, but i am convinced that the MK feel won't be present.

@Lex_Lutha How can you dislike SF dude?! HERESY! Finish Him !

@Lex_Lutha How can you dislike SF dude?! HERESY! Finish Him !

To be honest I don't like SF either. I respect it for what it is but I find it no fun to play and the characters and story way to boring. Forgive my apparent heresy.

I think that MKvsDC Universe makes more sense then MKvsSF because the comic characters are known for being in brutal situations, and they're story fits more in with the MK characters compared to the SF characters.I do not see how the fighting and finishing moves would work out at all in an MKvsSF game.

If there is ever a cross over game with Mortal Kombat it should be MKvsKI. With the high interest in Killer Instinct 3 hopefully it will come out soon, then that could inspire an MKvsKI game.