Attention MK2 Revision 3.1 Board Owners

Does the strategy work on your game board?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

TerryMasters

Just some copypasta- Hey everyone. Recently, I started making guides on YouTube in order to help people beat certain games. This morning I decided to do MK2. Everything was going fine, until I got to Kintaro. To my surprise I found out that the usual trick to beat him doesn't seem to work on the actual arcade. Here's a quick clip of the problem with a more detailed description:

In light of this new information, I need some help trying to find a new pattern to beat Kintaro using Jax. Not being able to use MAME or any other version is the worst part about this. As I mentioned in the video description, I realize it could just be my board (even though everything passes the Burn-In test), but I don't believe that to be the case.

Please help! Thanks in advance guys,
-TM

That's a nice video, but I'm glad you mention the difficulty because I forgot to state it - This is using the hardest difficulty (Very Hard). I'm not sure why MAME is broken, but I think that when you fire up MK2 even after changing the settings, it's somehow still running on Medium. It's just my theory, but would explain the problem.

I'm not convinced the blade swipe does anything special. Using well-timed jump kicks alone will take down Kintaro. Just give him the time to start a move before leaving the ground and keep a bit of distance so you can take advantage of his fireballs by jumping over them. You don't want to be close to him if you don't have to be.

My method at the beginning of a round, with any character, is walk back one step, jump froward + kick, repeat until he gets close. As you walk back he almost always tries to catch you with a fireball which you can easily jump over to punish. If he teleports, do an immediate jump sideways + kick to snag him mid-air.

If he starts taunting, well, an uppercut always feels good.

I've done the jump kick trick on actual hardware without any problem, although I've never tried a difficulty other than medium and seldom play as Jax. Maybe it has something to do with his reach, but I'd keep experimenting with the jump kick (trying kicking earlier in the jump, try different distances, etc.). The only version of MK2 I've played that didn't allow the jump kick abuse tactic is the Genesis/32X version.

Kintaro can also be taken down by a barrage of standing low (or high) punches, but to do it you have to force him into the corner and land an initial unblocked LP (since a close HP pushes you out of the corner). It's an incredibly inconvenient way to dispose of him, and nearly impossible to setup, but it works.

I just gave it another try for a solid half hour straight, and he not once did the faux uppercut. I'm sure I could beat him with someone else, though I haven't particularly tried. I've beaten MK plenty of times, just not with a solid method. I believe it has something to do with the difficulty (Very Hard might remove the pseudo-uppercut), and I do think it has something to do with Jax in particular (like Deathcore said, possibly his reach), but he's necessary for the guide as I'm trying to do it on one quarter. I was totally surprised when I found out the Kintaro trick didn't work. I'm trying the best I can to make this guide easy for others, and after a half an hours worth of jumping, kicking, and failing, I just know there's got to be a better way.

Like I said, my primary focus is to make this simple for others. I've tried triggering about 8 different patterns against him, and just when I thought I was on to something, it managed to fail. But my primary concern is helping others beat the game. So with that being said, I'll just put my hat back on and keep trying.

Thank you everyone for the input. Every last bit of information helps!

Edit- I just tested that strategy on the arcade again using Medium difficulty this time instead of Very Hard, and he still didn't do the fake uppercut though he was easier to beat. This could be a tough one.

Last edited:
First you have to jump at him the he will make the teleport jump. When kintaro does that you have to jump backward and HK. He will hit kintaro then you jump back at him and trow the fireball. When Kintaro make the taunt you grab him with the cathed it F+LP and jump with HK. He always will make the routine. The easiest way to beat Kintaro is with Scorpion. You jump with HK and wait for the Kintaro teleportjump hit him with jump backward Hk and when he make the taunt yoy trow the spear and uppercut.

First you have to jump at him the he will make the teleport jump. When kintaro does that you have to jump backward and HK. It will hit kintaro then you jump back at him and trow the fireball. When Kintaro make the taunt you grab him with the cathed it F+LP and jump with HK. He always will make the routine. The easiest way to beat Kintaro is with Scorpion. You jump with HK and wait for the Kintaro teleportjump hit him with jump backward Hk and when he make the taunt you trow the spear and uppercut.

I haven't been able to reproduce that first part, but you are right about Jax's grab into the jumping HK. Kintaro will fall for this everytime. I just haven't been able to chain it into a pattern that works yet. So for all those trying to figure out a way, keep this partial method in mind - Jax's gotcha grab into a jumping HK works.

Edit- testing it again, if you manage to knock him down you can wave punch him after, jump in again, wave punch, repeat - but this only lasts until he gets about half damage before his AI changes. You can also wave punch him over and over again and he'll just block it and take it, though once his AI changes, you're back at square one.

Edit- I think I've found something.

Final Edit- The video is out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN8xi7TSAY0 There were no small parts in this, thanks everyone! :)

Last edited:
The only version of MK2 I've played that didn't allow the jump kick abuse tactic is the Genesis/32X version.

Really? I'm almost certain it was possible on Very Hard at least. Can't verify it since both the copies I played are the sole property of The McCarron (2009 All Rights Reserved).

Give it a try if you can on the highest difficulty.

Last edited:
I play the PS3 version of the game that is very similar to the arcade version. I beat Kintaro with Jax with jumf foward HK. You need to have a distance like the one that you have when the fight start. If you are closer than this distance Kintaro will block ytour kick so before you jump you will move a few steps back when you reach the distance then you jump. The kick will hit every time you have that distance. If Kintaro do the taunt you will grab him with the catch it f+lp. If he do the teleport stomp you will jump backward and HK. I played MK2 yesterday 5 times with Jax and he only beat me once, so it works! I learn that styrategy at the arcade a long time ago!

Rafito, I appreciate what you're trying to say, don't get me wrong. But the reason I made this thread was because in the process of making my walkthrough, I found out that the pattern for Kintaro, which works in the PS3, PS2, and MAME versions of the game, doesn't work on the actual arcade hardware. I have a video of me practicing on him for about 30 minutes where the uppercut needed to catch him in that pattern just doesn't come out. And I know what everyone's saying, 'it's not a regular jump kick, it's a close jump kick, there's no roll'. Yeah, the fast jump kick right in his face, I know. But no matter which jump kick you use, and no matter how you set him up, Kintaro very rarely ever does that fake uppercut so you can hit him - and when he does, it isn't chainable. That was the purpose of this thread, the trick that works in MAME and on the Playstation doesn't work in the arcade.

Thankfully, I figured something out. And in my video I gave TRMK credit for helping me find it. And I also made this thread because I wanted to see if it was just my board, but now that I'm looking for someone who owns a 3.1 version of MK2, no one seems to have it - I was going to ask YourMameMan but I believe he removed his boards in favor of a MAME setup so I couldn't even ask him if I wanted to. I'll see if ctozzi still has one, or maybe lukemorse has one too.

Hey man nice game room. I love your MK andVirtua Fighter colection, both are my favorite games,i saw your video after the thread responce. Theres and easy way to finish MK2 from the player 2 side. I will make a video about it later. Take care and keep playing.

I do something similar with my 3.1 on my computer. I usually use Sub-Zero, round start I throw a freeze, he blocks, i jump kick, repeat. He gets to the corner, he catches me, then I walk him back to the other corner. Kahn is easy, just keep jumping at him holding down and you can uppercut him to death.

Here another tip I use for Kintaro, when he walks towards you and is at sweep range, launch an energy bolt at him, he'll punch the air and get hit by it, then jump backwards and restart pattern. When he stomps, always jump+HK as everyone stated and when he jumps towards you an uppercut will do the job. I only use these 3 tricks. Now I always play with Rayden, The lightning bolt always hits. You should try it with Jax