The infamous run button!!!

rocky

BANALITY
Having seen much much footage of MK9 i have came to the conclusion that this looks totally awsome!!
my only concern is that MK9 does not have the RUN button in it. i cant understand why this is as MK9 is all the best features from MK1 +2 +3. and it was MK3 that introduced the Run, which made the combating intense and fast paced.
with the run when you play advanced players the action is so fast you dont have much time to think, which is great !
your always on your toes and locked in the moment,
The RUN to me and many other MK fans is what made MK stand out from every other fighting game because it made the fighting constant with no breaks to think. with most other games there is plenty time to think you can stand at the other side of the screen and think about what to do next in advance.
and like i said MK elliminated this by introducing the run, In MK3 UMK3 and trilogy you were always stuck in the moment and had to think fast.
and when players run towards you, you kind of freak out and its great trying to react to it quickly and effectivly. it is also a great tool for stratergy fighting.

We know MK9 has a dash, the dash is ok but not the same as the run, the dash is very much like tekken and street fighter, and the newer Mks, and has always been a floor to MKs fighting engine. and since MK9 is a fan service to MK 1 2and 3, why give it a floor from recent MK games, If MK really is going back to its roots the run should be essentail. the dash is not as good as the run
it also looks a bit silly the charactors shuffling back and forth,
dont get me wrong the game is super fast in close combat, but the inbetween> too much waiting and shuffling for an MK game,

MK9 needs to be a constant heart pounding experience throughout the round like UMK3 was.
which is what i thought we were going to get after seeing the awsum trailers, but after much studying of gameplay footage im afraid to say it looks more like a turn based fighting game just like every other fighting game out there.

My idea along with many fans is to bring the run back into MK9, the game already looks pretty fast paced, but for example when sub zero freezes an opponent from a long distance the quickest way to get to the other player is to do 4 or 5 of them shuffles! and takes away the fast pace continuity that we saw in MK3 and UMK3 and it looks like theyre stuttering accross the screen.

And the run is not just to make the game quicker and constant but its a great tool for stratergy fighting, for example if you have a player that tries to block everything you can run up to them and throw them, but if theyre quick enough they can counter your throw with an uppercut or something. you can fake doing a move so that the other player blocks then run up to them and throw them. The possibilities are endless and enhances the game play and keeps you locked in fast paced action for the entire round.

MK9 would be a perfect honourage to the classic MKs if they put the Run back in, they should still keep the double tap backwards dash to dodge grabs but change the forwards dash to the RUN. another problem with the dash is that you can only dash the distance that the game programmes it to, where as with the RUN you can go where you need to.
and like many fans point out it opens up a whole new world of fighting stratergy that the dash just cant do.
and most importantly THE RUN IS ORIGINAL! where as the dash is in every other game.

I speek for many fans of MK3 Ultimate MK3 and MK trilogy when i say the run is an essential feature for MK
especially for advanced players.

I would love to know if you agree with me on this, especially those who are advanced players of MK3 UMK3 and Trilogy

Thank you for listening

i have done much research and spoke to hundereds of MK fans who totally agree with my thoughts on the new MK having the run
and i know its a fan service so the MK staff really need to hear this before MK9 is complete.

Thank you
regards
Rocky

Last edited:
I totally agree, bro. and great post. Unfortunately, the only thing most people care about here is the fatalities and gore. But the game play is so much more important to those of us who play these games above that casual level, and MK9 would be that much better had it been built upon a run button scheme. The Run button is as MK as the block button is.

Great post.

Cant wait to see the posts after this

I wasn't worried about not having a run button, but after seeing enough gamplay I agree 100%...

"Fastest mk game yet" my ass...the game looks so slow without it...

I'll reserve my final judgement for the release...but I'm not happy with what I'm seeing...

I wasn't worried about not having a run button, but after seeing enough gamplay I agree 100%...

"Fastest mk game yet" my ass...the game looks so slow without it...

I'll reserve my final judgement for the release...but I'm not happy with what I'm seeing...

yea even when it was said by Ed or whomever, that it was the fastest MK ever, but yet they said there was no run button, i knew it was bs.

yea the game is faster....compared to MK2 :/

Mk2 speed was great. The run button allowed too much cluster **** to happen. I like thinking in my games and the stand stills waiting for someone to make a mistake was more fun than running up on them and raping them.

Got to agree, the game looks pretty slow. Don't think the Run button is the cure, but they could bump the speed up a bit. The attacks are very fast, but the in-betweens? Not so much.

ed said its the fastest mk since Ultimate MK3!! it is really fast when combos are being performed but the dash slows it dramaticaly , im looking for strategic gameplay but all i have seen is who can pull off the biggest combo taking it in turns. 'sorry ed just being honest'

Last edited:
xbox and ps3 is a fast console i would be taking advantage of that if i were them, as for the run it does allow cluster but the players are thinking in split seconds its not mindless its still skillfull

i hope your right, but i just loved when pple think they can get away with blocking and you run up to them and throw them or run under their flying kicks and uppercut them. you cant do that with the dash

i totally agree with rocky. and i must add this: if this game is "fan service" as they say then they must consider the option of adding the run button. after all.. there is a throw button? if there aren't enough buttons they can change that and make throws as in mk-mk3.
without a run button the game is fast just in close kombat and ridiculous slow the rest of the time

its not just for the speed the run was an amazing tool for strategic fighting. i agree with the inbetweens

I loved the Run button (your example is spot on, rocky), but this game isn't supposed to be an exact remake, so certain changes may make sense. Only time will tell.

thanks, i agree, i forgot to mention in my post - it seems without the run all the players can do is just take it in turns to see who can pull off the longest combo, the slow inbetween bits make it look like more turn based combat, which makes MK look like just like all the other fighting games now. standing round waiting for someone to make a move, i hope the MK team realise how important the run button was in making MK original to all the other fighting games and put it back in!

I agree with alot of what you said. But i'll pass judgment when the game comes out. I think it will be just as good if not better than previous mk titles.

I just joined this site for this thread, but I will become an active user. Im with you OP, this game needs the run button. I think it's why I've stayed away from a lot of the newer mk games. I still play UMK3 But something new with a run button is in dyer need.

thanks kean, i joined just to post that thread i was beginning to become worried that i was the only one that saw this game needs the run.
i have been looking up more and more footage just now, and im afraid the more i see the more im going off the game :/ the players need to shuffle (dash) to get close to each other, it looks wrong and slow. early MKs are known for their constant fast pace throughout the round and split second thinking, the latest footage i saw was just too much shuffling and not enough action for a MK game. it reminds me of tekken, thats not a good thing!

MK3's method of input for running is different from other fighters, but running itself is not unique. Samurai Shodown had running about 2 years before MK3, but it doesn't mean it plays at the same pace. Other SNk fighters and Arc System Works fighters also have running. Furthermore, it's safe to say most people playing in the various footage don't know what they are doing, which is expected being a new game, with a new engine...We have yet to see its full potential. Also, you can get into someone's face and throw with a dash, if the game's system allows the character a fast enough recover after a dash. You may not able to do it from across the screen, but that's where spacing comes into play.

Last edited: