MK HD Kollection

Re: MK Arcade Collection in November (?)

1 of the many things I liked about MK 4 was blood hitting the screen.
I would love to see NetherRealm bring that back in MK 9.

Liu Kang's MK 4 fatality, Fujin's MK 4 Fatality and The Prison Stage, are some awesome examples of this.

I've thought that it would be awesome, if spats of blood hit the screen on some of the MK 9 Fatalities, and slowly slid down the monitor.

MK4 would have been the easiest one to redo in HD, dont know why they wouldn't include MK4 in this kollection other than it doesn't have anything to do with MK9's time frame.

MK4 would have been the easiest one to redo in HD, dont know why they wouldn't include MK4 in this kollection other than it doesn't have anything to do with MK9's time frame.

While your story line bit sounds about right, there would be a problem emulating the hardware due to the triangle differences in the game engine. But they could port and HD up the Dreamcast version of MK4 easily though, instead of the arcade.

While your story line bit sounds about right, there would be a problem emulating the hardware due to the triangle differences in the game engine. But they could port and HD up the Dreamcast version of MK4 easily though, instead of the arcade.

Zeus used quadrilaterals? If so, that's certainly odd given that everyone in the industry but Sega were using triangles.

It's been a while since I played MKG, but wasn't it faster than the arcade? I remember it being off a bit.. other than the obvious graphical glitches.

I agree, MK Gold was better.

Personally, I'd take MK Gold's Kitana, Mileena, Baraka, Kung Lao and Cyrax over MK 4's Jarek, Fujin, Tanya, Kai and Reiko.
(I know that 4 and Gold both had Jarek, Fujin, Tanya, Kai and Reiko, but I liked Gold's select screen better.)

Also, wasn't Sektor a hidden playable character in MK Gold??
MK GOLD on PS3 and 360 would ROCK!!!

Last edited:

1 of the many things I liked about MK 4 was blood hitting the screen.
I would love to see NetherRealm bring that back in MK 9.

Liu Kang's MK 4 fatality, Fujin's MK 4 Fatality and The Prison Stage, are some awesome examples of this.

I've thought that it would be awesome, if spats of blood hit the screen on some of the MK 9 Fatalities, and slowly slid down the monitor.

If you play as mileena in MK9 and you fail to do the fatality.....she jumps at the screen and splatters blood all over the screen!! it looks alot better than it did MK4

MK Gold was broken and allllll messed up. It was to MK4 what MKT is to UMK3. I'd rather see MK4 Rv3.0 emu'd then add those extra characters.

Yes that's what I understood, or maybe that was Zeus 2? I forget now, but I know for sure Zeus 2 did quads.

I see, so Zeus was probably the same then. Still, it's fairly surprising all things considered. Come to think of it, I think the Saturn was Sega's only quad-based hardware.

MK Gold was broken and allllll messed up. It was to MK4 what MKT is to UMK3. I'd rather see MK4 Rv3.0 emu'd then add those extra characters.

I agree completely! I remember renting MK Gold when it came out and being glad I did because not only did it look like crap compared to the arcade version (no version of MK4 can touch the arcade version) it also ran like crap! It made me sad to play MK Gold because I had such high hopes it would get close to matching the arcade version.

Also am I the only one hoping the HD Kollection comes out next year sometime?? I would rather them take the time and do what Capcom did with the SF Remix. Re-balance the games where they need to be rebalanced, maybe even go so far as to have MK 1 run as fast as MK II. MK 1 will look cool as hell in HD but it won't play well at all compared to II and 3. Along with rebalancing of the games (since this is MK we're talking about) it'd be cool if they took the time to instead of just redrawing the gibs from exploding deaths in HD to actually create new ones so that we don't see multiple ham looking chunks (MK II) or 10 rib cages and legs (MK3).

What I mean is, I would prefer if they took their time on the HD Kollection and really make a product die-hard MK fans would be proud of and have no problem purchasing again. Because honestly, if it's just straight up arcade ports but with HD sprites I'm not sure I'd buy it because as it is I already arcade perfect versions of MK 1 and MK II and friends of mine have UMK 3 for XBL so there's no need for me really to buy games that look prettier but play exactly the same, you know?

Agree . If you can't get the best version remade , then just emu it . I don't think that Arcade version of MK4 would look that bad today . In fact it was a very good looking game during its time .

You know, I was just thinking....

This HD version of the game. If they've filmed new actors, I wonder if that means the costumes will look totally new or if they'll be using the exact same designs as last time. I bet they're going to look SO MUCH better.

Re: You know, I was just thinking....

As long as Raiden doesn't have a lame cape, I'm happy.

Interesting point to raise. I know stuff like Kabal's own cape and breathing apparatus were simplified for technical reasons, and I think that was the case with Raiden in the 2D games (and MK4). They did get the inspiration from Lightning in Big Problem in Little China, so who knows what they'll do now.

Personally, I preferred the MK1 look by far. Very simple, and you know the saying, less is more.

MK 1 Rayden had a great outfit (specially the lightning on it) but it was plain white. I prefer the touch of blue added to the character in MK II. And yes as Jade said, no lame cape, he looks more dynamic without it.

Edit: In MK 9 teaser, Rayden don't wear a cape and has his MK II outfit!

Last edited:
MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

Hi, first post, probably a bad way to start off but please remember I respect everyone's opinions on this forum, these are just my thoughts on the topic. Anyway...

I hate to say it and I hope I eat my words, but as much as it is my dream to have proper HD remakes of the classic MK games, I'm positive it's nothing more than wishful thinking. It's been stated that new actors are re-shot in HD (and let's not forget HD frame rate, as opposed to just sprite replacement of the original frames), and so you have to wonder how exactly this game is going to be presented.

Based on the premise that the devs are aiming for ultra-realism due to digitized actors, you'd be looking at ultra-realistic backgrounds, blood, fatalities and everything else the games contain. As for fatalities, anyone imagine how shocking these would be? Forget MK9's 3D models, we're talking real actors in HD. Rating denied.
Could such a game exist, done properly? Impossible. Games that look like live-action movies are still well out of our reach. Done to the best of our technology, it would look hilarious, in the worst possible way. Let's not forget costumes, props, and all otherworldly aspects of the games. Remember HD is DETAIL, which means you can't get away with claymation shokans, budget tarkatan masks, painted metal arms and so forth. It didn't matter back when the games were first made because at that tiny resolution, who is going to notice? Making a game like that today, you need a few things to make it look good. Which brings me to my next point, discussing the only way this game could be created successfully in the way it's been rumoured, and because of that, why it won't be created at all in the way you hope.

For MKHD to look any good, it needs to be highly stylised, it needs a specific art direction. All captured footage would have to undergo an artistic process of transformation, for it to blend in with all the CG elements it'll be surrounded by. All characters and all of their actions, all of the environments, would need to be aesthetically consistent. Such a thing demands attention to detail. The kind of attention to detail that MK9 requires, on the kind of budget it receives. Because MK9 IS the HD remake, the rebirth of classic MK. It's why it's had so much time and effort invested in it, why it's been promoted so long before its release date. So why would WB even consider making the rumoured version of MKHD, making another expensive MK game, also in the classic style, when they're already working on one? From a business perspective, it makes no sense. And to add insult to injury, it's supposed to be released next month. With only a few months of production underway, without a hint of official confirmation, or any kind of promotion besides leaked box art. And the release can't really be delayed can it? After all, that MK9 demo needs to be released before the full game does.

I know TRMK is a trusted, respected website. But no matter how reliable your sources are, I can't believe them because I can't see any logic in what they've stated.
You all want to see the Mortal Kombat HD Arcade Kollection? Check out Environment Bio #1. Because that upscaled footage with new audio is the best we're going to get. And if you think about it, it's been promoted about as much as it deserves. Just like that Prince of Persia HD Trilogy it was announced along with on many game sites. That *upscaled* PoP HD Trilogy.

At the end of the day, we'll all still be buying it, because it does in fact contain a demo of an MK HD remake...Mortal Kombat 2011.

Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

I know TRMK is a trusted, respected website. But no matter how reliable your sources are, I can't believe them because I can't see any logic in what they've stated.
You all want to see the Mortal Kombat HD Arcade Kollection? Check out Environment Bio #1. Because that upscaled footage with new audio is the best we're going to get. And if you think about it, it's been promoted about as much as it deserves. Just like that Prince of Persia HD Trilogy it was announced along with on many game sites. That *upscaled* PoP HD Trilogy.

I guess time will tell again how accurate our sources are. ;)

PoP wasn't upscaled, it features newer textures and graphics. They didn't just stretch the graphics of the old games, it would show if that happened. Also you can't compare PoP to MK, as PoP is a 3D polygon game and MK is a 2D sprite game. The work required for each one is dramatically different.

i'll wait another 17 hours and 40 minutes (the countdown on official mk website) until i change my mind about this HD kompilation

Like I said, I really hope I'm proved wrong! MK1 was the first game I ever played, to relive that experience would be amazing.

i'll wait another 17 hours and 40 minutes (the countdown on official mk website) until i change my mind about this HD kompilation

The countdown may have nothing to do with the MK Collection. And they already said we'd be getting things during the day today, BEFORE the countdown expires.