MK HD Kollection

Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

The gameplay, plain and simple. Sure, there were tech limitations that made the games what they are to an extent, but some do prefer them to the newer stuff by a mile.

The only "technical limitation" that keeps me from wanting more animations in the HD Kollection games is that my eyes won't know the difference. If there were a benefit to increasing the FPS/animation, I'd be down, but as it stands, all signs point to doing so would actually hinder gameplay, so no thanks.

I'll be more than happy with the new sprites. Updated audio will be a nice bonus, too.

So you guys both have a problem with MK9's speed? Personally I couldn't be happier about the game, it's struck the perfect balance between graphics and gameplay. From what I've seen anyway. I'm not questioning anyone's enthusiasm, but there are faster games out there, and realism has always been a core element of the MK series. It's why they used digitized actors in the first place, what made them stand out and a big part of why I and many others loved those games. Even when they moved to 3D, I assume it was to immerse the player more in the fight, make it more life-like. Even if it had questionable results. That goal for realism is still evident in MK9.

LOL. You keep putting words in people's mouths. I haven't played it, so I don't know if it's fun/fast enough (speed isn't the only factor of a good game) and until I've played it, I can't make a solid judgment. It's obviously slower than UMK3, and I'll probably still prefer UMK3, but it still looks like it'll be good.

No, I don't have a problem with MK9's speed at all. I'm just saying that the desire or interest to play the classics isn't due to nostalgia for some of us, it's the design itself.

The only "technical limitation" that keeps me from wanting more animations in the HD Kollection games is that my eyes won't know the difference. If there were a benefit to increasing the FPS/animation, I'd be down, but as it stands, all signs point to doing so would actually hinder gameplay, so no thanks.

As I mentioned earlier, it'll be a typical 60fps affair no doubt. Now if they added additional frames of animations, it's another matter altogether. SSFIIT HDR had completely new sprites but the same number of frames with a separate Remix mode to boot, while keeping the original game intact.

We'll wait and see but frankly, I don't expect to see any additional frames.

I'll be more than happy with the new sprites. Updated audio will be a nice bonus, too.

Again, it's not about increasing the FPS. It's about increasing the amount of animation. And your eyes can absolutely tell the difference. Watch MK2, then watch MK9. You will understand what I mean.

As I mentioned earlier, it'll be a typical 60fps affair no doubt. Now if they added additional frames of animations, it's another matter altogether. SSFIIT HDR had completely new sprites but the same number of frames with a separate Remix mode to boot, while keeping the original game intact.

We'll wait and see but frankly, I don't expect to see any additional frames.

SSFIIT HDR contains hand-drawn, unrealistic characters. Digitized actors are another matter altogether. And if there wasn't an increase in the animation of those digitized actors along with the higher resolution, I personally think it'd look too unprofessional to even release.

Last edited by a moderator:

Again, it's not about increasing the FPS. It's about increasing the amount of animation. And your eyes can absolutely tell the difference. Watch MK2, then watch MK9. You will understand what I mean.

I already understand what you mean, but they're not gonna add animations.

SSFIIT HDR contains hand-drawn, unrealistic characters. Digitized actors are another matter altogether. And if there wasn't an increase in the animation of those digitized actors along with the higher resolution, I personally think it'd look too unprofessional to even release.

:facepalm: They're not gonna increase the FPS or add animations.

I already understand what you mean, but they're not gonna add animations.

It's newly captured footage apparently. It'd be just as easy to include than not. If they were just cleaning up the original sprites for HD, then no they wouldn't add extra animations; they wouldn't need to because the artistic process of cleaning up those sprites would have the end product looking more akin to illustration. If they indeed captured new footage of actors then they are aiming for realism. If they are aiming for realism then they would keep the extra animations to make the characters realistic.

That's your opinion as you said, but game-functionality wise, adding more frames can alter a game completely. Remember, those aren't going to be remakes in the traditional sense with tweaks and whatnot, just HD updates of existing games.

The type of graphics have no bearing really, since either type can look better with additional frames. Look at 3S, an 11 year old game with animations that give all 2D games today a run for their money. Yet, everyone is merely increasing resolutions.

It's newly captured footage apparently. It'd be just as easy to include than not. If they were just cleaning up the original sprites for HD, then no they wouldn't add extra animations; they wouldn't need to because the artistic process of cleaning up those sprites would have the end product looking more illustrated than anything. If they indeed captured new footage of actors then they are aiming for realism. If they are aiming for realism then they would keep the extra animations to make the characters realistic.

Your eyes can't tell the difference, and they'd have to mess with the games' coding, so it wouldn't be that simple. They're essentially replacing the sprites (and possibly the audio) while emulating the rest, so adding more frames doesn't make sense. (This is the same thing they did the SSF2T HD.)

And adding extra frames would throw off the gameplay who play by frame counting.

Anyshit. I'm off to check out themortalkombat.com :biggrin:

:facepalm: They're not gonna increase the FPS or add animations.

Again, it's not about increasing the FPS. Please read what you've quoted before you facepalm.

Last edited:

Again, it's not about increasing the FPS. I don't want this to get heated but read what you've quoted before you facepalm.

I read it. They're not gonna increase the FPS OR add animations. Increasing the animations would slow the gameplay down.

When you take a look at MK2 on PS3, or UMK3 on Xbox360, graphics don't seems to be "ugly" ! They are upscaled, but the games look "good", and are playable... So why did WB lost time and money by re-filming new actors ? I don't understand that point...

I'm a professional graphist, and it seems easier for a small team of 2-3 graphists to upscale the originals sprites and clear them !

But, again, it would be great to have new actors !! Old MK would become more exciting, like this good fan work : http://www.youtube.com/user/bruninholc#p/u/7/_JOsXqa454k

That's your opinion as you said, but game-functionality wise, adding more frames can alter a game completely. Remember, those aren't going to be remakes in the traditional sense with tweaks and whatnot, just HD updates of existing games.

The type of graphics have no bearing really, since either type can look better with additional frames. Look at 3S, an 11 year old game with animations that give all 2D games today a run for their money. Yet, everyone is merely increasing resolutions.

What you say is true. But tell me, has anyone ever seen a modern game with HD digitized actors? Maybe one exists, I personally haven't seen it. And since realistic 3D models have fluid animations, it stands to reason that the digitized actors would too. Otherwise, it'd be unnatural, and defeat the whole purpose of capturing the footage to begin with. Finally, those extra animations don't stick out, they are subtle! Like real humans have subtle movements, not robotic. Which digitized actors in HD would move like without realistic animation.

Last edited:

Look, i can proove it's easier to make old upscaled graphics clearer, for HD screen, than to re-shoot actors...

Just take a look at this "HD" Kitana... i've made it in less than 5 minutes, using Photoshop :p
http://yfrog.com/45thexx25hdtryj

45thexx25hdtryj

what do you think, guys ? (and how can i show directly my pics in my messages ??)

I don't want to bore anyone with this, so I'll just wait a while to see more people's opinions before posting again. I'm surprised more of you don't agree with my argument, but that's to be expected. Just for thought - draw up a box of, say, 400x300 px. Now draw up a box of 1920x1080. Place them beside each other. Now imagine what you would have to do, making a game that's in the first box, look good in the second.

(and how can i show directly my pics in my messages ??)

You can post an image by using the
tags. Just place the physical URL (the one that ends in .jpeg, .gif, .png, etc.) between the tags and you're good.

Well Thexx, that's a pretty good job ya did cleaning up those pixels and smoothing out. But thats all you did. That is the farthest thing from HD. I've been doing graphic work for years. I can tell ya, that no matter how good you are, theres absolutely no way to take that image and make it HD. The only way would be to either redraw it, or reshoot it. The cameras used to shoot the originals were too low quality, the resulting digitized actors were too low quality. As a result, that image when upscaled which is just another way to say "stretched out", is just too pixelated to use. All that being said, considering how bad the upscaled quality is, you did a great job. jUst dont call it HD. LOL

BTW, theres a fake floating around of a nicely redrawn Kitana from MKII. Its exactly what I'm talkin about when I say it needs to be redrawn. And thats just an image. for the real game, imagine redrawing every frame that way......

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the tip, DeathcoreRyknow , i can now show directly my images !!

thexx25hdtry.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Brucewayne, i just wanted to show that there is some easy ways to make old sprites a little more clear... but of course i agree with you : this is not the HD i expect for the incoming MK HD arcade Kollection !

But considering the cost of reshooting new actors for three entire games i doubt that WB wll do it... As a MK fan, i'm often disappointed by the last announcments about MK games ! Remember : right before MK VS DCU was unveiled, Ed Boon talked about a "darker MK" ! And i don't even talk about the recent silly countdown :)

This is reasons why i fear that "MK HD arcade kollection" will only be MK1-ML2 and UMK3 upscaled :)

Jarvis 653, thanks for those images ! This is a real graphic good job ! If only we could expect such quality from WB !

It won't be delayed, the MK9 demo is the main selling point IMO

Meh ...:neutral:
As time goes by without any info, I begin to doubt the aformentioned release date more and more.
I had to go to GameStop a week and a half after it was "ready" to Pre-Order, to cancel my Pre-Order, because they had taken it off of their system.
I'll believe it, when we get an "OFFICIAL" confirmation date.
So far though, it looks like I'll be getting the HD Arcade Kollection when it goes down to $15 price range.:(

ON A SIDE NOTE:
No, I don't believe the MK 9 demo is "the" selling point.
Is it an added bonus? Sure

How much of a selling point would the MK 9 demo be, if the HD Arcade Kollection gets delayed past the MK 9 release date?

This thread should be closed. opinions are opinions and facts are facts. not many people seem to get the difference. the trolling is just getting stupid.