Ed Boon reveals Mortal Kombat: Fire & Ice, a canceled co-op game

The 7th Number

While speaking to Game Informer about older Mortal Kombat projects, series creator Ed Boon unveiled one installment of the which never saw the light of day: A co-op action adventure game subtitled Fire & Ice. "When they finished [Shaolin Monks]," Boon explained, "the guys at Paradox were gonna do another one called Fire & Ice. It was gonna be a co-operative Scorpion and Sub-Zero game."

We're not sure how the game's writers would have navigated the series' canon to make this union possible (don't those two, like, hate each other?), but we're disappointed nonetheless. To think -- if someone had asked us what our favorite co-op Mortal Kombat game was, and then asked what our favorite 1980s German ski film was, we could have just given them a single, satisfying answer.

Source: Joystiq

Im surprised i didnt see this posted somewhere, unless i overlooked it? But damn this sounds like it would have been a cool game. Loved Shaolin Monks.

Okay you might find this wierd, but the second Shaolin Monks came out I thought hey wouldn't it be cool if they did this but with Scorpion and Subzero and call it Mortal Kombat Frozen Flames..
no one will belive me nowwwww

Shaolin Monks 2?

Does anyone Remember this?

Mortal Kombat: Fire & Ice is the cancelled sequel to Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, that was in development from late 2005 till early 2006 by Paradox (later renamed Midway Studios Los Angeles). A prototype was created for the Xbox 360, to test their new “next generation” graphic engine, but soon the project had to be canned, as revealed by Ed Boon to Game Informer:

“When they finished [Shaolin Monks], the guys at Paradox were gonna do another one called Fire & Ice. It was gonna be a co-operative Scorpion and Sub-Zero game,” Boon said. “They actually started the early stages of that game, but they couldn’t do it in time and under budget, so the project was canceled and kind of went away.”

It was canceled within a few weeks of my arriving at Midway. I don’t have anything else to show you unfortunately. Half the studio was laid off, and new management was brought in. Then we started work on TNA Wrestling.

A prototype level was built, but that was it. A few design docs were worked on, and a few characters were made in 3D – Scorpion and Subzero. The game was codenamed Fire & Ice – as those two characters were to be the main characters. I was really looking forward to doing level design and construction for it. It was a shame it was canceled.

I wish Fire and Ice was worked on and then released instead of that crappy game TNA Wrestling. I really enjoyed Shaoilin Monks and around the time it came out I was hoping for another one. Hopefully one day Warner Bros. will release a game similar to MKSM.

Re: Shaolin Monks 2?

This actually gives me hope of an even better SM sequel, now that they are under WB instead of Midway. Hopefully this is their next project, this or a Smash TV remake.

I'd heard about it. I also heard somewhere about them doing one about Baraka? Sounds cool, but odd character choice.

This actually gives me hope of an even better SM sequel, now that they are under WB instead of Midway. Hopefully this is their next project, this or a Smash TV remake.

Well now that it's been 5-6 years since they were creating the MKSM sequel the chances arern't too high of a sequel ever being released.

Well now that it's been 5-6 years since they were creating the MKSM sequel the chances arern't too high of a sequel ever being released.

The game was a massive success, chances are WB is going to want to cash in.
Especially with this new MK boosting the franchise's name, I wouldn't doubt seeing it soon.

The game was a massive success, chances are WB is going to want to cash in.
Especially with this new MK boosting the franchise's name, I wouldn't doubt seeing it soon.

That's true. Because the new Mortal Kombat game being released in a month is definitly going to do well in sales; and now that Mortal Kombat is owned by Warner Bros. there could be a MKSM sequel or spin off.

I would prefer that they stick to the 2D gameplay...

Just mix MK9 with Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Good stat system and a large character selection)

I LOVED SM i thought it was probably the funnest mk game after mk4! I would definitely want them to make a sequel!

Does anyone Remember this?

Mortal Kombat: Fire & Ice is the cancelled sequel to Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, that was in development from late 2005 till early 2006 by Paradox (later renamed Midway Studios Los Angeles). A prototype was created for the Xbox 360, to test their new “next generation” graphic engine, but soon the project had to be canned, as revealed by Ed Boon to Game Informer:

“When they finished [Shaolin Monks], the guys at Paradox were gonna do another one called Fire & Ice. It was gonna be a co-operative Scorpion and Sub-Zero game,” Boon said. “They actually started the early stages of that game, but they couldn’t do it in time and under budget, so the project was canceled and kind of went away.”

It was canceled within a few weeks of my arriving at Midway. I don’t have anything else to show you unfortunately. Half the studio was laid off, and new management was brought in. Then we started work on TNA Wrestling.

A prototype level was built, but that was it. A few design docs were worked on, and a few characters were made in 3D – Scorpion and Subzero. The game was codenamed Fire & Ice – as those two characters were to be the main characters. I was really looking forward to doing level design and construction for it. It was a shame it was canceled.

I wish Fire and Ice was worked on and then released instead of that crappy game TNA Wrestling. I really enjoyed Shaoilin Monks and around the time it came out I was hoping for another one. Hopefully one day Warner Bros. will release a game similar to MKSM.

f*ck TNA that stuff is fake and retarded they should've went with Fire & Ice