PC version of Mortal Kombat 9...

online is still a joke. laggy matches and 'game unavailable' and shit like that. they need to fix it big style for MKX

Can anyone who has the PC version tell me where are the game's text files located and in what format they're in? By text files I mean subtitles and the menus.

*Steam installation folder*\SteamApps\common\MortalKombat_KompleteEdition\DiscContentPC\Asset

This folder has pretty much everything in it I think except the story mode cutscenes. Unfortunately everything is in .xxx format and I have no idea how to extract anything from it.

I'm also curious about extracting the character .fbx files from the game. Like I say all the files are in .xxx format and I'd love to extract a character fbx file to use in a tech demo I'm making at university. Anyone got any idea how to do that?

[MENTION=1754]Kandy_Man[/MENTION]: Thanks! Reason I was asking is cause I thought of translating the game and wanted to know where these files are since I own the game only on PS3. So you're sure the text is in those .xxx files? Hm. No clue myself. FBX files should open in 3DSMax or Unity. Have you tried it?

[MENTION=17921]Mr. Ice[/MENTION]: That's an awesome idea. I also noticed a folder "DiscContentPC\Localization" that contains "Coalesced" files with extensions of eng, fra, int, por, and spa. They're obviously language files but they're only around 100KB big so I can't imagine they contain too much. I imagine for how much text there is in the game they'll probably be in one of the .xxx files. As for the menu stuff, they're probably graphics rather than text.

If I could get the .fbx files it wouldn't be a problem, I'd use Blender, but the characters are in .xxx so I need to extract the .fbx from those.

Unreal Package Extractor got me a TONNE of files just from Sektor, but they're all .package files or, what looks like to me, lots of Unreal Engine 3 specific files. Sadly no .fbx. Thanks though hopefully some of this will be useful

[MENTION=17921]Mr. Ice[/MENTION]: That's an awesome idea. I also noticed a folder "DiscContentPC\Localization" that contains "Coalesced" files with extensions of eng, fra, int, por, and spa. They're obviously language files but they're only around 100KB big so I can't imagine they contain too much. I imagine for how much text there is in the game they'll probably be in one of the .xxx files. As for the menu stuff, they're probably graphics rather than text.

If I could get the .fbx files it wouldn't be a problem, I'd use Blender, but the characters are in .xxx so I need to extract the .fbx from those.

Hm. That might be the subtitles. If it's only text it sounds about right. Could you by any chance send me the .eng file? Just upload it anywhere you want and then delete it after I download it.

Try also using WinRar, might work.

I'm also curious about extracting the character .fbx files from the game. Like I say all the files are in .xxx format and I'd love to extract a character fbx file to use in a tech demo I'm making at university. Anyone got any idea how to do that?

...you mean extract a character model? use umodel. it's pretty straight forward, but it's command line only.
the characters you get are in .psk so you'll need a script in 3ds to open it.
i think it's the same for static models from stages.
the characters are kind of messed up because they have gore+damage all in the same model, so you'll have to clean it up. the good thing is that you don't have to skin it, it's already done & bones are available.

what tech demo are you making?

Last edited:
I am suprised that no one has mentioned it yet but since yesterday we can see the sales numbers of all games on steam in this site
http://steamspy.com/app/237110
And WOW GUYS WOW!! MK9 PC is the MOST SUCCESFUL THE BEST SELLING GAME ON PC!!! 844.000 sales!!!! It has beaten USF4 and Dragon ball and Naruto sales by a lot!! That shows that PC gamers like brutal ultra violent fighters like MK while console kids prefer the more kid friendly and cartoony SF Naruto and Dragon ball and KOF. Not surpised as most of us are are more than 20 years old while majority of console players are 10 years old kids. Congratulations for making the pc version of MK the most succesful fighter. I am sure MK10 now that comes at same tiem on pc will sell more than 1 million easily!!!! Spread the news guys that very important! Post about it in a many gaming sites/forums as possible!!

...you mean extract a character model? use umodel. it's pretty straight forward, but it's command line only.
the characters you get are in .psk so you'll need a script in 3ds to open it.
i think it's the same for static models from stages.
the characters are kind of messed up because they have gore+damage all in the same model, so you'll have to clean it up. the good thing is that you don't have to skin it, it's already done & bones are available.

what tech demo are you making?

Yeah I was pointed to UModel. I had a version with a GUI and I could get the model but the textures as you say were messed up and I needed the animations as well which UModel doesn't support with MK9.

It's just a university project. We're using XNA (I have no idea why they still use XNA) to make a demo. First assignment was the design document, second was to make an animated model, third is to put it into a game. I've had a lot of problems getting my model to work in XNA, at least animation wise, and was told it's fine to use a model from another source as long as my model is also present. I was going to use one from MK9 but like I say, I need the animations otherwise I'm back where I started. Further back even as the textures were messed up.

I'm trying to find a free model online that's at least rigged and I'll make an idle, walk, punch animation myself or something.

Yeah, you won't be able to get animations.
What I suggest you to do is learn CAT rigging. It's very easy to learn and has a lot of options.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMQRrzwrnes
I've pretty much learned it from these series. Here's the most "advanced" custom CAT rig I've built for an MK9 character:
http://i59.tinypic.com/2ch9ydz.png

Pretty much to get to this point it took me around a week. I had to clean up the mesh first. Then I've had to create my own normal maps (since the one in MK9 are combined and don't work very well with 3ds max), some simple UV corrections and creating shaders. Then I've rigged the character. The majority of the time I was doing some advanced stuff like secondary motion for hair and loincloth (which I'm pretty sure you won't need), face rigging and figuring out SSS. If you only need to build a simple rig then I'm pretty sure it should take you a few days tops.

Last edited:
I'll definitely look into that. Our version of 3DS Max at university is about 10 years old so we do everything in Blender as it's kept more up to date. I've found a free model and gotten it rigged (without automatic weight painting errors this time, yay) so hopefully that plus 3 animations will be enough to get XNA to work with me.

I'm actually on a programming course I have no idea why we have assignments on modelling and animating, but it's been fun and probably something I'll try to get better at in my spare time so I'll definitely look into CAT rigging and 3DS Max. I have the 3 year student version at home since all the models I found were .max files and not .fbx so I'll give it a go.

I'll definitely look into that. Our version of 3DS Max at university is about 10 years old so we do everything in Blender as it's kept more up to date. I've found a free model and gotten it rigged (without automatic weight painting errors this time, yay) so hopefully that plus 3 animations will be enough to get XNA to work with me.

I'm actually on a programming course I have no idea why we have assignments on modelling and animating, but it's been fun and probably something I'll try to get better at in my spare time so I'll definitely look into CAT rigging and 3DS Max. I have the 3 year student version at home since all the models I found were .max files and not .fbx so I'll give it a go.

That sounds kind of backwards, I mean having to do deal with 3D while being on a programming course. Good luck anyways.

AMD A10-5750 APU quad core 2.50 GHz
AMD Radeon HD 8650G + 8670M Dual Graphics 1 GB dedicated memory
12GB RAM

Would I be able to run the game at max (or near max) settings?

Last edited: