PC version of Mortal Kombat 9...

in my experience with pc games, even when the game ran well it still didnt have the constant smoothness that a console had, always a stutter or hiccup but thats just my experience.

Sounds like your hardware is not good enough for the games you're playing at the settings and resolution you're running them at. Either lower your settings or buy new hardware. Simple as that. I can play games like Batman AA and Just Cause 2 @ 1080p and 60fps. These games look significantly better and run much smoother than the console versions of these games. My computer is by no means top of the line either.

and wanna see a game asking of quad cores?? take a look at the new BULLETSTORM from epic games. same UE3 engine asking for a quad core.

Seems you're right; yet I don't even understand why this is a problem. Why is it a problem? Quad core CPU's are not exactly expensive these days. They're not exactly new either. I should know, I have one in my computer that was released back in 2007.

and just curious what do you consider a half decent gpu. i wanna look into one =P

I bought a AMD HD6870 recently. A good mid-range card that will run pretty much anything you would want it to. Around $US200 IIRC. Even my last card which was an 8800GT (that I sold for $40 on eBay) offered better performance than any console.

360s and PS3s both have multiple cores inside they are limited by their OS. in my experience with pc games, even when the game ran well it still didnt have the constant smoothness that a console had, always a stutter or hiccup but thats just my experience. and wanna see a game asking of quad cores?? take a look at the new BULLETSTORM from epic games. same UE3 engine asking for a quad core. IM not doubting that PC could handle the game but i just have a feeling that this game would have pretty high minimums since its locked AT 60 frames AND they dont have any visual sliders. the sales would be pretty low.

and just curious what do you consider a half decent gpu. i wanna look into one =P

lol limited by the OS? Do you even know what you're talking about?

Fighters are more enjoyable playing on your TV.

Last I checked my graphics cards have HDMI out, and amazingly enough my television has HDMI in. One time I tried to play a pc game on the television sitting right next to it and... *gasp* It worked. INSANE!

Last I checked my graphics cards have HDMI out, and amazingly enough my television has HDMI in. One time I tried to play a pc game on the television sitting right next to it and... *gasp* It worked. INSANE!

I know INSANE. I'm typing this up on my wireless keyboard, which is on a portable table, while I sit on my comfy bed in front of my PC connected to a 32inch HDTV. It's just INSANE.

Is it some weird alien technobabble? No, it's 2011 and some people need to get with it for ****s sake.

I never said it can't be done fellas. If your rich go for your life.

Now look at it from a developers perspective, X360 and PS3,
each have unique hardware/software, ie. two configurations.
PC's have an unlimited amount of hardware/software
configurational differences.

MGentLIFER's experience may have been caused by a simple
configurational difference which the developers had not tested.

Go ahead and compare markets, consoles are used by a far
larger demographic than PC gamers, especially for the fighting
genre.

From the developers stand point, do you think it's worth paying
programmers/testers for all these additional hours of coding
and testing for a small market? Obviously not.

I never said it can't be done fellas. If your rich go for your life.

Now look at it from a developers perspective, X360 and PS3,
each have unique hardware/software, ie. two configurations.
PC's have an unlimited amount of hardware/software
configurational differences.

MGentLIFER's experience may have been caused by a simple
configurational difference which the developers had not tested.

genre.

They're using UE3. A PC port at this point is probably minimal resources. I would be surprised if they didn't already have it running on pc even if they have no plans to release it.

genre.

Yes let's compare markets. The PC retail gaming market (boxed and digital) is around half the size of the total console market (that is Wii, 360, PS3, NDS and PSP). That makes the PC gaming market bigger than any one console. When we take into account other gaming revenue streams on PC such as indie development, MMO's, social network gaming and gaming portals the PC, in revenue terms, is bigger than the console market, full stop. That is just in the United States. Globally there is utterly no contest, the PC games market is significantly larger.

What's more console revenue is on the decline after a peak a couple of years ago. PC retail boxed revenue is falling dramatically, yet this is more than offset, significantly so, by PC digital distribution (aka Steam and services like it) which is just exploding in growth.

Sure it is, because if you were aware of what you were talking about you'd know that the digital distribution market on the PC is very lucrative, you'd also know of the numerous other console games that have seen success on the PC after being ported over and you'd understand than additional revenue streams are always good for business.

lol limited by the OS? Do you even know what you're talking about?

uh yes i do. both consoles have multiple cores that get soaked up by all the extra stuff the consoles run. like the Dashboard constantly connecting you anywhere to your console. If consoles didnt have all these resource hogs an xbox 360 would literally be a triple core, 3.2ghz cpu with s 512mb card. This card also supports features for the NEXT GEN version of UE3. the same for the ps3 though the numbers are different

Seems you're right; yet I don't even understand why this is a problem. Why is it a problem? Quad core CPU's are not exactly expensive these days. They're not exactly new either. I should know, I have one in my computer that was released back in 2007.

i just wonder how many people actually own a comp that will lock this game at 60 frames. not that there isnt anyone, but how many would purchase this. it sounds like a small market for a fighter

Last edited:
uh yes i do. both consoles have multiple cores that get soaked up by all the extra stuff the consoles run. like the Dashboard constantly connecting you anywhere to your console. If consoles didnt have all these resource hogs an xbox 360 would literally be a triple core, 3.2ghz cpu with s 512mb card. This card also supports features for the NEXT GEN version of UE3. the same for the ps3 though the numbers are different

i just wonder how many people actually own a comp that will lock this game at 60 frames. not that there isnt anyone, but how many would purchase this. it sounds like a small market for a fighter

I see what you're saying now. Still doesn't really matter though. The OS is a required resource. Same goes with Windows on a PC, OSX on a Mac, Android on a phone, iOS on a phone... You get my point. Arguing over whatever resources the OS might take up doesn't change the fact that, while still capable, this current generation of consoles is all running on 4-5 year old hardware. If my current PC didn't have Windows taking up resources I'm sure performance would be even better playing games, but that isn't an option so.

Last edited:
FADE: Mate, if it is they would be releasing it on PC via digital or otherwise. Fuk me dead.

You have no idea what you're talking about. None. There are a number of reasons why a PC version of Mortal Kombat might take a back seat to a console version. Piracy is usually one concern, the market for fighting games being smaller is another concern. Publisher obsession with the size of the console market is another concern in that they seem to want to ignore everything else in favour of them. What publishers don't seem to get, and what you don't seem to get, is that the overall size of a market says nothing about its profitability. Nothing at all suggests a PC version would not be profitable and see success; and we've seen plenty of console games ported over to the PC and sold well.

Instead of spouting off garbage go do some basic research if you want to talk about the size of the PC gaming market. Here, I'll help you out a bit with a couple of articles which describes the great growth the PC gaming market is enjoying and backs up what I said earlier -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/01/pc-is-strong-pc-games-revenue-up-20/
http://blog.machinima.com/insidegaming/2010/12/23/us-spends-25-billion-on-video-games/

FADE: I don't need to research mate, you've made a beautiful argument
as to why a PC port should be released with great caution.

TSUNG: You should really consider upgrading to a 1080p mate. Using
a big screen TV as a PC monitor seems to be very popular these days,
don't you reckon? ;)

I want to make one thing clear, I'm not flat out against a PC port, I
can however, understand where the developers/publishers are
coming from.

I don't know, the easy pirating of PC games today makes it highly unlikely that there'll be a PC version. And if they tried to add some kind of failsafe method that locks it up that wouldn't work either, cause Ubisoft tried to do that with Assassin's Creed 2 and people found a way to ignore that failsafe in just 6 hours.

It's not releasing on the PC right away.... >_>

Boon says that the Mortal Kombat team may also follow in Street Fighter IV's footsteps and will think about releasing a version of the game for the PC.

"We're definitely considering it," Boon says. "I've thought 'How many fighting game players are PC guys?' Apparently there seems to be a market for that in Europe. Since we're on the Unreal Engine, I guess it's not that much of a change from the console versions." Those plans definitely sound like they're open to change, as publisher Warner Bros. has only announced Mortal Kombat for consoles.

Source: http://kotaku.com/#!5618460/mortal-kombats-post+launch-balancing-add+on-character--pc-plans

^ I'm always surprised how many people ask for MK for the PC. Do people play fighting games on PC's? (c) Ed Boon @ twitter.

I recently tweeted Ed asking if there is going to be a pc release/news on that. I'm hopeful for it since warner bros is in the game now, meaning more money and freedom for the mk team to design better things , which led us to the current amazing result of the new mk. they haven't announced it but I'm 75% it will be for pc too this time around. my guess for that though is around half a year after the normal release for ps3 and xbox, meaning we should have it around september or october on pc as well. fingers crossed :D

I thought that PC gaming essentially died a couple of years ago, but apparently not.

seems weird to hear that from a person of 17 years of age.. no it's not dead at all, piracy may be killing a part of it, but then again 'pirates' make pc releases too so.. :p you can see it in games for console only though, many people get pissed that there is no pc version, such as god of war or castlevania blah blah blah.. games obviously will look better if you own a big tv with fhd and all that but pc gaming stands still