PC version of Mortal Kombat 9...

That stage is lil bit hard for beginners. You need to know how to play with stryker before you can pass. You pull good combos with him, it is piece of cake. Look for his 35-37 dmg combos on youtube. Try to punish shao kahn every time and jump his back side when he is lying down and combo again. (He will swing his hammer when you back jump him)
Shao Kahn has the worst, dumbest, most rote-repetitive 'A.I.' (term used very loosely) I've seen in a game in a long, long time. And given he is a boss - one of the more infamously cheesy ones, no less - it's amazing Netherregion were to lazy with coding his script.

All Kahn does is throw his hammer and taunt. And even when he stuns you, he hardly every tries to capitalise (though, admittedly, that could have to do with the bug where his hammer stun isn't actually a stun- holding block 'snaps' you out of it upon being attacked! lol).

To beat Kahn, perfect even, all you do is get to the opposite side of the screen and wait for a hammer > gauge his wind-up > time a projectile of your own > duck > rinse-repeat > FLAWLESS VICTORY!!

Very, very poor boss A.I. in this game. Boggles the mind even more as to how they could rationalise locking the bosses out in the vanilla versions of the game. I think Ed Bone's excuse was something about them 'being more intimidating' as CPU-only characters...? WTF?! *retardface.gif*

Honestly, when the game first came out on PC, I was watching a few streams. The auto config did it's stuff, and everyone every time changed the settings to what they thought the machine could handle. Everyone of them lagged on every game they played.

When I say I'm not maxing it, I should be clear that the settings it's running at are 1080p, high texture, very high shadow, 16xQ CSAA, ATOC, and 4x AF. The only settings that aren't maxed are ultra high for shadow, SSAA instead of CSAA, and 16X AF.

As far as I'm concerned, that's fine. I'm happy to leave it like that if it's going to guarantee no lag on any stage, and I would fully expect to need to upgrade the card to use things like 16X AF.

The auto config did it's stuff, and everyone every time changed the settings to what they thought the machine could handle. Everyone of them lagged on every game they played.

That's what happens when people mess with stuff they are not fully aware of. Their mistake.

Auto-config recommended far lesser settings for my machine as well - which was why I called it a total crap. I changed everything to max settings, and when playing a proper opponent, with a good enough machine, I am having a silky smooth experience online.

It is not going to guarantee no lag at all, if you are playing someone that doesn't have a capable enough machine to handle their settings properly. If their fps tanks, so will yours - automatically. If you're fine in Single Player, you will be fine online as well, IF the opponent doesn't drag you down with problems on their side.

That's it. Even if you experience lagging and slowing down online, it is 100 % NOT your fault. At least not anything related to the hardware. Connection stability and bandwidth might be a different story, as well as the overall latency between the two nodes, but that's not gonna cause a global slowdown.

And as far as I know, 16xQ CSAA >>> 16x SSAA.

Last edited:
That's what happens when people mess with stuff they are not fully aware of. Their mistake.

Auto-config recommended far lesser settings for my machine as well - which was why I called it a total crap. I changed everything to max settings, and when playing a proper opponent, with a good enough machine, I am having a silky smooth experience online.

It is not going to guarantee no lag at all, if you are playing someone that doesn't have a capable enough machine to handle their settings properly. If their fps tanks, so will yours - automatically. If you're fine in Single Player, you will be fine online as well, IF the opponent doesn't drag you down with problems on their side.

That's it. Even if you experience lagging and slowing down online, it is 100 % NOT your fault. At least not anything related to the hardware. Connection stability and bandwidth might be a different story, as well as the overall latency between the two nodes, but that's not gonna cause a global slowdown.

And as far as I know, 16xQ CSAA >>> 16x SSAA.

Well like I say, it's practically maxed, and I'm fine with that. As for the AA settings, SSAA is the setting to the far right. I assumed that was the best setting for it as everything else has the max setting at the far right.

Actually, in the AA settings, 16xQ CSAA is the last one for me, and I have a GTX 670. SSAA is the setting I'm using for the next option - Transparency Antialiasing. And AFx16.

Okay, let's leave how maxed out the game is for a second and talk a bit about the important thing: game mechanics.

There are some things I don't understand:

- How to do Tag combos? I just can't do them if I do the exact button combination shown in the moves list
- How does tagging work? Sometimes it seems like I can do it while the opponent is unleashing a combo on me, other times it feel very late (checked the button on my controller, it works flawlessly)
- The AI can do a very annoying thing I just can't: after being knocked down it instantaneously unleashes a combo or a special move. Can I do the same thing so fast or is it some kind of AI cheat?

Anyway I'm at Challenge 250 now: you have to defeat Shao Kahn with Shang Tsung and I noticed a weird thing - SK's AI is actually smart. Here he's not just spamming his attacks but he's timing them to what I do and of course he's just impossible to beat this way (yeah I know, do full combos, lol). It's like I am playing a whole different game so the question comes up: why didn't Netherrealm made him this way for the ladder? If they'd disable his stupid armor and the bulletsponge feel and instead of those things make him smart like he is in this challenge we'd have a fairly challenging Shao Kahn instead of the annoying and boring one we have now.

DeBane:
Netherregion

It's still Netherrealm.

Forget what I've said about challenge 250: it's 251 where the real Hell's at. You have to defeat Baraka, Sindel and Shao Kahn with a single life bar (you get some refill after you beat on of them). It's so hard I can barely kill of Baraka.

The challenge tower is starting to become a huge joke really: I'm okay with challenge but hello Netherrealm, this is a fighting game! You know what people like to do in a fighting game? CHOOSE THEIR F***IN' CHARACTERS!!! :D Is that so hard to understand? Instead of allowing me to skip a challenge (that's not gameplay, that's laziness) why can't I spend my Koins on a "choose your character" option instead? The tower was okay so far becaust it was a casual beat em up for the most time but it's getting hard now so I miss my options... and I don't want to fight with Shang Tsung because I hate the dude since MK1.

A qucik question if anyone is reading this topic: you can use Shang tsung to morph into other characters, right? How to do that, I found nothing in the oves list regarding this.

Last edited:
Its called challenge tower for reason. What would be the point of it if any random button basher could beat it ? I am not a combo player myself, can't do more than 8 hits, but i finished challenge tower pretty easy. Just play smart, if you can't combo do damage in small bursts, don't let your opponent do damage to you.
Morphing ain't working in challenge tower (i could't do it).

Last edited:
Forget what I've said about challenge 250: it's 251 where the real Hell's at. You have to defeat Baraka, Sindel and Shao Kahn with a single life bar (you get some refill after you beat on of them). It's so hard I can barely kill of Baraka.

The challenge tower is starting to become a huge joke really: I'm okay with challenge but hello Netherrealm, this is a fighting game! You know what people like to do in a fighting game? CHOOSE THEIR F***IN' CHARACTERS!!! :D Is that so hard to understand? Instead of allowing me to skip a challenge (that's not gameplay, that's laziness) why can't I spend my Koins on a "choose your character" option instead? The tower was okay so far becaust it was a casual beat em up for the most time but it's getting hard now so I miss my options... and I don't want to fight with Shang Tsung because I hate the dude since MK1.

A qucik question if anyone is reading this topic: you can use Shang tsung to morph into other characters, right? How to do that, I found nothing in the oves list regarding this.

You can only morph into your opponent by performing the soul snatching when playing as ST, only the cpu can morph into other characters.

edit: if you're talking about that specific challenge, no idea, haven't played it in a long time.

I really liked the challenge tower. I hate stars labs on Injustice. Don't know why, not sure if its because i've gotten a little older so my patience has grown thin or I dont like Injustice.

Challenge Tower was a fun distraction in my opinion.

Is there any way to open config file in Steam\steamapps\common\MortalKombat_KompleteEdition\DiscContentPC\Config ?
This is what i get than i open it, a shitload of this xœì½ër#7Ò(øk`ßf_iŸcÔT—aK.’(²‚Ñ÷E$M‰’)Q¼Äß./£Öl÷9á`œWp¬ÿ®73

Its called challenge tower for reason. What would be the point of it if any random button basher could beat it ? I am not a combo player myself, can't do more than 8 hits, but i finished challenge tower pretty easy. Just play smart, if you can't combo do damage in small bursts, don't let your opponent do damage to you.
Morphing ain't working in challenge tower (i could't do it).

Okay, but it was super easy so far and now when there's real challenge I don't have options? It's not fun if I can't play with a character I like, I don't mind the usual 30 sec long challenges with someone I'm not fond of but come on really, I won't practice with ST to beat this in a normal fashion, guess what I'll do instead is just cheese my way out of this (short combos, damage boosts and triple skulls are the way to go).

As far as the fighting mechanics go I'm honestly deeply disappointed. Online is pretty much dead to me because of the lag and the cheesy stuff you have to figure out in order to be successful, I just don't want to spend time to figure those out instead of the good stuff. Almost every character has some kind of super fast projectile (Reptile's spit? Come on, it's ridiculous) or some fast 2 hit input people exploit (and you do that BuGeris :D) or the super easy to perform X-Rays of some characters (example: you do a freeze with Sub Zero and hit X-Ray, who's gonna stop you from doing that? :D).

If I try to view it from a pro gaming standpoint, MK9 is a joke that can't even hold a candle to SF4. It's just silly to think about that there are tournaments for this game when it clearly is broken (it's not a surprise you always see the same characters on tournaments). I can understand that Netherrealm is doing these silly tournaments because there's money there but MK was never a professional fighting game and it should never be advertised as such: it's fantastic as a casual one and on that level it's infinitely more enjoyable than SF4 but you can't really take it seriously.

My other serious complaint are the controls really: the analog stick is just too sensitive and it really shows that it's not the best was to control the game. But let's look at the options: you can of course buy a fightstick but the quality ones (a stick that won't break in a year :D) cost a fortune and MK9 has a horrendously designed one too so it's not really an option. Then you can try to buy a fightpad but you just have no idea which one will work okay with MK9 or you can try a PS3 controller. WB should not spend their times on manufacturing the TE fight sticks (several things wrong with that thing: it uses the american button layout that is worthless for other fighters (and also for MK9 but let's not talk about that, let the Americans keep their pride) of course, it's ridiculously big and it costs 150-200 bucks), they should design a great pad for the game instead.

Last edited:
You were begging for a PC release, now that you got it, all you do is complain.

Do you think that all the people who beat that challenge knew how to play as Shang? No, we all found a way.

The game is broken, but is it fun? Netherrealm do not put together tournaments anymore, the community does. Evo is not silly.

All I'm reading is you're not willing to go to training mode and practice, but gets mad after getting your ass kicked by the AI, the AI is freaking easy in this game, they couldn't have made it easier. Nearly all the moves are punishable. Oh wait, you don't want to figure it out how to do it.

Btw, you should be happy to know that challenge #300 lets you pick any character.

Is the online still ass on the pc? Was gonna download it but i wont bother if it is. Just fired this up in my ps3 having fun with it. YOu guys should too.

Zax, so you say that MK is more fun and enjoyable than SF4, but it is bad that special moves are strong. (Dam you make my brain hurt). In other words you want SF4 with MK graphics ?
Every game has its learning curve, you can't just simply jump in to the game and be pro at it. The longer learning curve game has the higher skill ceiling there is.

or the super easy to perform X-Rays of some characters (example: you do a freeze with Sub Zero and hit X-Ray, who's gonna stop you from doing that? :D).
You shouldn't let Subzero to freeze you when he has full meter in the first place. There are other characters that can land their xray in a similar way.
Also what do you mean by super easy to perform xrays ? The click of a two buttons at the same time or that you cant block at a right time ?

Also i meet people like you in SC2 as well, they whine and whine instead of trying to understand the game and get better at it. The rules of a game are same for everyone, if you loose to someone its not the games fault, its yours.
How you can say that MK is terrible competitive game if you don't fully understand the game yet ?

Last edited:
Okay so now I'm evil and hate the game? :DD I absolutely love the game, in fact that's why these minor annoyances bother me. Don't be stupid and try reading, it's not the learning curve I hate, it's the method of how it is in this game I don't like. Here's what I have to do in order to start enjoying the online mode:

- adjust to the insane amount of lag and input delay / input drops (the last one is actually impossible to do, just saying)
- if someone comes up with an exploitable mechanic I have to search for a solution or figure it out instead of practicing

After these things I can start practicing and getting better at the game and that's a silly thing. I don't mind if I get my ass kicked, that's part of the fun, what turns me off is if the actual game design prevents me from getting better / progress. I know it's hard to understand if you don't try to analize the game but sadly MK9 is just how I described.

I want to feel that it's my fault if I lose and not because of some idiot who designed the game in a way that pressing two buttons at the same time and getting lucky wins you the match (X-Rays), that's all. Let's face it: if you're a beginner you won't be so good at blocking that you can avoid getting hit in the face with an X-Ray from a winning situation 100% of the time. Is it realistic to say that "I've lost because my blocking skills are not 100% or luck was not on my side" when I'm still a beginner at the game? Of course not and it's even worse that this system basically punishes you for practicing and playing fair. You know who hates learning curves: the kids who overuse X-Rays, exploit faulty mechanics and say they are not "combo players" while playing a clearly combo oriented game. :p You're probably one of those SC2 players who play protoss because "they are easy" and do cannon rushes all day just so bronze league beginners can have a bad time. :D

Also let's not start comparing MK9 to more balanced games like SF4 or SC2 because I don't want to bash the game, it really doesn't deserve that, the focus is simply on single player in MK9.

As for the AI and the lack of choice: I don't like if a game wants to feel longer by putting limits to player choice because if you think about it that's exactly what MK9 does. Would challenge 251 be easier if I could do it with my favourite character? Yes. Is that a bad thing? Why would it be, it was me who chose to practice with that specific character so I'm basically entitled to an easier experience because of the time I've put into said character, if I want to suck I'll pick some other guy. You guys try to convince me that the game is designed this way and that selecting a character would be easy mode and that's total bollocks.

Edit:
You were begging for a PC release, now that you got it, all you do is complain.
Just noticed this one, isn't it just nice? :D What are you implying here? So because I'm a fan and I've waited 2.5 years for the game I don't have the right to apply legitimite criticism? :D Look, I think the game is great but I'm not a blindfolded fanboy to act like it has zero problems, in fact MK9 has a lot of problems if you care enough to look under the hood. I'm a fan and I care so of course I'll do that but please stop demonizing me like I'm some ungrateful asshole who's ruining PC gaming for a whole new generation. :D "OMG he's bashing the game, it's the end of the world!" :DD

Anyway basically my bit hard critique of the game comes from my similar experience with SF4: that game also had these problems but Capcom cared enough to fix them (seeling the same game at least 3 times in the process :D) while Netherrealm just went on to develop Injustice.

Also just figured out what the Hell is a wake-up attack, thanks for the lot of help you guys gave me. :p

Last edited:
People initially complained about X-rays because its ease of execution and high damage. Later, players found combos that could inflict just as much, if not more damage with less meter consumption. X-rays were used less in favor of enhanced specials and breakers. X-rays are still useful in some circumstances, and they have the unique property of being unbreakable once successfully landed. As the fighting game community matured, they realized that X-rays are not as game-breaking as it was originally made out to be.

Personally, I thought the Challenge Tower was a gimmick to distract players who otherwise would tire of learning the core game. I think the development time would have been better used on an expanded tutorial. However, it's there and the only thing you can do is persist. Most players won't bother to use half the characters if playing the main game, and they managed to complete the Tower.

Last edited:
People initially complained about X-rays because its ease of execution and high damage. Later, players found combos that could inflict just as much, if not more damage with less meter consumption. X-rays were used less in favor of enhanced specials and breakers. X-rays are still useful in some circumstances, and they have the unique property of being unbreakable once successfully landed. As the fighting game community matured, they realized that X-rays are not as game-breaking as it was originally made out to be.

Let me translate that: X-Rays are not game breakers on a pro level because people eventually figured out how to deal with them. What that means is that you have a gameplay element that is there to even out an uneven fight: the better player beats the worse player to a pulp, that fills up the meter of the worse player so that he can use his X-Ray move and eventually win by chance or at least get back into the game. It's there for the casuals, the bad players and the cheaters and it endorses unnatural behavior ("I don't need to get better, I just use my X-Ray and some other exploitable shit I've found"). It also serves as a great reason for players who play fair to just leave the game because of frustration and it also creates a huge gap between failure and success for gamers who actually want to dedicate time and learn the real mechanics of the game instead of just pushing two buttons like idiots. Why is that a good thing just because pros adapted to this shit is beyond me but I guess communism was fine because we've learned to survive it, right? :D

Just spent two hours doing challenge 251, still not managed to beat it. A lot of times I just got unlucky: less then 1/4 of SK's health left, then he hits me with a hammer throw I couldn't dodge, hits me with the hammer 2 other times while I'm stunned and then gets his X-Ray in. What a fair and wonderfully exciting gameplay experience! :D

Last edited:
Let me translate that: X-Rays are not game breakers on a pro level because people eventually figured out how to deal with them. What that means is that you have a gameplay element that is there to even out an uneven fight: the better player beats the worse player to a pulp, that fills up the meter of the worse player so that he can use his X-Ray move and eventually win by chance or at least get back into the game. It's there for the casuals, the bad players and the cheaters and it endorses unnatural behavior ("I don't need to get better, I just use my X-Ray and some other exploitable shit I've found"). It also serves as a great reason for players who play fair to just leave the game because of frustration and it also creates a huge gap between failure and success for gamers who actually want to dedicate time and learn the real mechanics of the game instead of just pushing two buttons like idiots. Why is that a good thing just because pros adapted to this shit is beyond me but I guess communism was fine because we've learned to survive it, right? :D

Not only did they learn to deal with X-rays, they found a better way to use the meter. Enhanced specials and breakers are also potential tide-turners in battles, yet nobody wants to bellyache about them. Let's not forget that X-rays are risky because they take up all 3 bars of the meter. Again, some characters can inflict a comparable amount of damage in a combo without using wasting all 3 bars. Also, meter gain is not exclusive to taking damage, using specials, and hitting your opponent also gain meter. It's far better to just have lead in life rather than just waiting for all meter to fill up completely and hope your X-ray will land.