Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61

Thread: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

  1. #1
    Tarkatan Warrior Tedakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    39
    Posts
    457
    Xbox Live
    Tedakin
    PSN
    Tedakin
    Thanked: 5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    Mortal Kombat is the reason I play video games. It's seriously the game that made me run out and buy a console when I was a kid. I visit this site daily, but finally registered on the forums to share my thoughts on the live demo I saw at E3 today. Most of this you've heard, but other cool tidbits I'll mention that you may not have.

    Just things I thought were cool...

    First off, the game looks incredible graphically. It's simply stunning. When the characters are fighting in the Living Forest there's dynamic lighting breaking through the trees and casting accurate shadows on them. Also, there's a lot going on in the backgrounds. People are being tortured and strangled by vines. Birds are flying around. The big thing I noticed was in Kahn's Arena there is a second fight going on in the background featuring a giant monster that looks like a rancor battling a small group of warriors. Kitana appears to be chained up in the arena as well, though I've heard others say they saw Sonya. So it probably switches. Shao Kahn is also lively in his chair now. Remember in MK2 how he was just a flat sprite that did nothing? Now he's fully animated and taunts the fighters, waving his fist in the air.

    The main menu to the game is beautiful and fully animated, and it's by far the best looking character select screen from any MK as well. There are 26 characters apparently, with 1 spot for DLC.The whole game, energy bars, even the words "FATALITY" and "FINISH HIM" have an elegance to them. They really overhauled everything this time.

    Another really awesome thing is how fights begin and end. Each character has some pretty amazing intro and victory animations. Sub-Zero materializes from ice. Reptile drops in and turns off his cloaking. Sektor shoots flames into the air in a V formation. A flaming hole opens in the ground and Scorpion leaps out of it. When Scorpion won a fight he seriously burned a hole in the ground and dropped back in, then it cut to him landing in the Underworld and doing his victory pose with fire around him. Seriously.

    And the gore... oh the gore. The blood now looks completely realistic, not the cartoonish bright red drops that used to go splattering with every hit. Now it dribbles on the ground realistically. It's DARK RED as blood should be. And it's subtle, and therefore, more real. Character model damage looks nice as well. Sub-Zero was really torn up at the end of one fight, and the damage appears to be to the actual model and not just the bitmap covering it as with the older games.

    Oh, yes, and the fatalities. At the end of the demo they showed a Fatality collage and most of the ones are listed here. But seriously, they're more brutal than you can imagine. Just reading the description isn't enough. When Kung Lao dragged Sub-Zero over his spinning hat the way he came apart with the splashing blood was shocking in its realism. Sub-Zero has his spine pull back, but this time he punches his fist into your chest, grabs the spine, then rips it out, head and all. He also has a freeze fatality that we didn't see the completion of. There's a video floating around of Kung Lao's second fatality that combines both of his kills from MK2 into 1 ultimate kill. Johnny Cage's MK2 fatalities are now combined as well. He punches your head off, then rips you in half. Scorpion decapitates his opponent with his sword, then slices the head in half as it falls like a water melon on a samurai sword. Mileena decapitates you and drinks the blood streaming out of the neck. The kill that got by far the biggest reaction was Sektor's. He fires a missile blowing his enemy to pieces, then as each piece flies into the air he locks onto all of them and fires a flock of missiles that shoots them down. It's more hilarious than brutal. The Pit is also well done. When the character falls onto the spikes he lands with one spike through the chest and a second through the head and continues to twitch as blood drains out of him.

    When the demo was over the 20 or so people I saw it with all seemed blown away. MK of late has been pretty bleh. But this one kicks it up to 11 and beyond, and as a huge fan of this series I honestly couldn't have been more pleased.

    After it was over I got to meet Ed Boon, and he was the nicest and most humble guy. I told him how MK is the reason I play games and he genuinely seemed moved by that. And whenever a fan took a picture with him he would make them take a second picture with his camera to keep for himself. He loves the fans and this new MK is a blood-soaked love letter to them.
    Last edited by Tedakin; 06-17-2010 at 12:23 AM.

  2. #2
    New Kombatant 11coolguy12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    36
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    great description . the fatalities in this game sound so awesome

  3. #3
    BANALITY
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Netherlands/Holland
    Age
    31
    Posts
    27
    Xbox Live
    Dr Love 2k3
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedakin View Post
    Mortal Kombat is the reason I play video games. It's seriously the game that made me run out and buy a console when I was a kid. I visit this site daily, but finally registered on the forums to share my thoughts on the live demo I saw at E3 today. Most of this you've heard, but other cool tidbits I'll mention that you may not have.

    Just things I thought were cool...

    First off, the game looks incredible graphically. It's simply stunning. When the characters are fighting in the Living Forest there's dynamic lighting breaking through the trees and casting accurate shadows on them. Also, there's a lot going on in the backgrounds. People are being tortured and strangled by vines. Birds are flying around. The big thing I noticed was in Kahn's Arena there is a second fight going on in the background featuring a giant monster that looks like a rancor battling a small group of warriors. Kitana appears to be chained up in the arena as well, though I've heard others say they saw Sonya. So it probably switches. Shao Kahn is also lively in his chair now. Remember in MK2 how he was just a flat sprite that did nothing? Now he's fully animated and taunts the fighters, waving his fist in the air.

    The main menu to the game is beautiful and fully animated, and it's by far the best looking character select screen from any MK as well. There are 26 characters apparently, with 1 spot for DLC.The whole game, energy bars, even the words "FATALITY" and "FINISH HIM" have an elegance to them. They really overhauled everything this time.

    Another really awesome thing is how fights begin and end. Each character has some pretty amazing intro and victory animations. Sub-Zero materializes from ice. Reptile drops in and turns off his cloaking. Sektor shoots flames into the air in a V formation. A flaming hole opens in the ground and Scorpion leaps out of it. When Scorpion won a fight he seriously burned a hole in the ground and dropped back in, then it cut to him landing in the Underworld and doing his victory pose with fire around him. Seriously.

    And the gore... oh the gore. The blood now looking completely realistic, not the cartoonish bright red drops that used to go splattering with every hit. Now it dribbles on the ground realistically. It's DARK RED as blood should be. And it's subtle, and therefore, more real. Character model damage looks nice as well. Sub-Zero was really torn up at the end of one fight, and the damage appears to be to the actual model and not just the bitmap covering it as with the older games.

    Oh, yes, and the fatalities. At the end of the demo they showed a Fatality collage and most of the ones are listed here. But seriously, they're more brutal than you can imagine. Just reading the description isn't enough. When Kung Lao dragged Sub-Zero over his spinning hat the way he came apart with the splashing blood was shocking in its realism. Sub-Zero has his spine pull back, but this time he punches his fist into your chest, grabs the spine, then rips it out, head and all. He also has a freeze fatality that we didn't see the completion of. There's a video floating around of Kung Lao's second fatality that combines both of his kills from MK2 into 1 ultimate kill. Johnny Cage's MK2 fatalities are now combined as well. He punches your head off, then rips you in half. Scorpion decapitates his opponent with his sword, then slices the head in half as it falls like a water melon on a samurai sword. Mileena decapitates you and drinks the blood streaming out of the neck. The kill that got by far the biggest reaction was Sektor's. He fires a missile blowing his enemy to pieces, then as each piece flies into the air he locks onto all of them and fires a flock of missiles that shoots them down. It's more hilarious than brutal. The Pit is also well done. When the character falls onto the spikes he lands with one spike through the chest and a second through the head and continues to twitch as blood drains out of him.

    When the demo was over the 20 or so people I saw it with all seemed blown away. MK of late has been pretty bleh. But this one kicks it up to 11 and beyond, and as a huge fan of this series I honestly couldn't have been more pleased.

    After it was over I got to meet Ed Boon, and he was the nicest and most humble guy. I told him how MK is the reason I play games and he genuinely seemed moved by that. And whenever a fan took a picture with him he would make them take a second picture with his camera to keep for himself. He loves the fans and this new MK is a blood-soaked love letter to them.
    WAIT hold on, so your saying that this game has 26 characters!?!?! WTF???? if you check this link...

    http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/2...lectscreen.jpg

    Its showing only 16 blocks.... So that means the pic made, didn't show all of it???? omfg, i was a little worried cyrax might had not made the cut, so that means there's still a big chance he is in.
    I cannot believe how much amazing fatalities this game is going to have, it might even be possible that characters have like 3 instead of 2 fatalities, one of the pics says " Kung Lao fatality 3" but it might as well just be a little mistake made by the person that shot these pics.
    Anyway i hope its teh truth lol, 26 characters with an MK they promised to be the best one ever, i hope its true.

  4. #4
    TRMK Super Moderator DCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    My OWN pants-- oh wait, these aren't mine
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,684
    Xbox Live
    ryknowcore
    Thanked: 88
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by CyRaX66 View Post
    WAIT hold on, so your saying that this game has 26 characters!?!?! WTF???? if you check this link...

    http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/2...lectscreen.jpg

    Its showing only 16 blocks.... So that means the pic made, didn't show all of it????
    Yes. You can actually see another row of characters being cut off at the very bottom of the pic. This was confirmed on the front page as well.

  5. #5
    Tarkatan Warrior Fayte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    492
    Thanked: 5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeathcoreRyknow View Post
    Yes. You can actually see another row of characters being cut off at the very bottom of the pic. This was confirmed on the front page as well.
    yeh I hate to sound likea grumpy tit but why didn't the guy who took that photo just take a photo of the whole screen >_<

  6. #6
    Tarkatan Warrior Nic-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    321
    PSN
    Nic-V
    Steam
    NicV
    UMK DS
    236373533733
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    Great description, this game is certainly the return of MK in all ways imaginable :P

  7. #7
    Lin Kuei Assassin Eks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,823
    Xbox Live
    eksyte
    PSN
    eksyte
    Thanked: 103
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    Good read. Thanks.

  8. #8
    Emperor of Outworld Nasty_Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The wildest areas of the Dream Realm.
    Age
    28
    Posts
    6,465
    PSN
    Cassandra_Jade
    Thanked: 324
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    I wonder what characters will be DLC???

  9. #9
    New Kombatant
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    I DONT SEE KITANA OR SONYA CHAINED.... JUST LI MEI AND KIRA!

    ITS LI MEI http://www.mksecrets.net/images/mk9/screenshot017.jpg
    AND KIRA http://www.mksecrets.net/images/mk9/screenshot018.jpg

  10. #10
    Tarkatan Warrior Tedakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    39
    Posts
    457
    Xbox Live
    Tedakin
    PSN
    Tedakin
    Thanked: 5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    I have a pic of the entire Character Select screen. Yeah there are 26 character blocks, plus a DLC and random block as you can see.



    Quote Originally Posted by mk-remake2010 View Post
    I DONT SEE KITANA OR SONYA CHAINED.... JUST LI MEI AND KIRA!

    ITS LI MEI http://www.mksecrets.net/images/mk9/screenshot017.jpg
    AND KIRA http://www.mksecrets.net/images/mk9/screenshot018.jpg
    When I saw the game Kitana was definitely where Li Mei is. Hot girl in skimpy blue outfit with a blue mask. It must rotate characters.

  11. #11
    BANALITY
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Netherlands/Holland
    Age
    31
    Posts
    27
    Xbox Live
    Dr Love 2k3
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedakin View Post
    I have a pic of the entire Character Select screen. Yeah there are 26 character blocks, plus a DLC and random block as you can see.





    When I saw the game Kitana was definitely where Li Mei is. Hot girl in skimpy blue outfit with a blue mask. It must rotate characters.
    THANK YOU, I wanted to see a pic of scorpion in the select screen gr8 find!

  12. #12
    Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,766
    Xbox Live
    Double Caution
    PSN
    StraightRed
    Thanked: 1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    Thanks for the report Tedakin! Great write up!

  13. #13
    Tarkatan Warrior Nic-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    321
    PSN
    Nic-V
    Steam
    NicV
    UMK DS
    236373533733
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    Scorpion looks awesome so it MUST be a good game!

  14. #14
    New Kombatant Princess-Kitana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Edenia
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6
    PSN
    thebluehottie
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    I am noticing that Sub-Zero does NOT have a scar on his face, so either the Sub-Zero
    that will appear in this MK title is the original Sub-Zero pre Noob Saibot transformation,
    or they have yet to add the scar to the actual character model. We shall see in 9 months.

  15. #15
    TRMK Admin, Co-founder Patrick McCarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,939
    Twitter
    @mccarron
    Xbox Live
    McCarron
    PSN
    McCarronX
    Steam
    mccarron
    Thanked: 278
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess-Kitana View Post
    I am noticing that Sub-Zero does NOT have a scar on his face, so either the Sub-Zero
    that will appear in this MK title is the original Sub-Zero pre Noob Saibot transformation,
    or they have yet to add the scar to the actual character model. We shall see in 9 months.
    It's back in time, around MK2 era so he wouldn't have a scar yet. I bet he gets it in the game.
    Patrick McCarron
    The Realm of Mortal Kombat Co-founder

  16. #16
    Tarkatan Warrior Hansplusmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    400
    Xbox Live
    hanzER00
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarron View Post
    It's back in time, around MK2 era so he wouldn't have a scar yet. I bet he gets it in the game.
    Yea that's an interesting point. I was wondering about that as well.
    I hope they fill the story line with interesting bits like this.

  17. #17
    Tarkatan Warrior Tedakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    39
    Posts
    457
    Xbox Live
    Tedakin
    PSN
    Tedakin
    Thanked: 5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    You're welcome for the photo. I took it myself before they shouted and told me not to take pictures

  18. #18
    New Kombatant
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    Do fighters really have unique animations? Do they clearly have their own unique fighting style? Any sharing of moves? Thx

  19. #19
    Lin Kuei Assassin Eks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,823
    Xbox Live
    eksyte
    PSN
    eksyte
    Thanked: 103
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    I call BS. Those aren't the same outfits from back in the day!

  20. #20
    New Kombatant phillybreezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3
    Xbox Live
    PhillyBreezy
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Saw the demo at E3. Met Ed Boon. My thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarron View Post
    It's back in time, around MK2 era so he wouldn't have a scar yet. I bet he gets it in the game.
    The game is set between MK1 and MK3 so he would have had a scar... just FYI

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How I Met Your Mother, FINISH HIM!
    By Patrick McCarron in forum Mortal Kombat General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 04:24 PM
  2. MK:A demo petition
    By sean79 in forum Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-18-2006, 06:41 AM
  3. The Band H.I.M. Any Thoughts
    By Snickalz The Green Snowma in forum Music
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-08-2006, 04:36 PM
  4. Ever met a celeb
    By Angel in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-23-2005, 03:23 PM
  5. Your Thoughts
    By Jade in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-17-2005, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •