Mortal Kombat (2011) to take place after Armageddon

daryui

BANALITY
[video]http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6265851/?tag=top_stories%3Bplay_btn%3B1[/video]

Ed Boon says The game starts at the end of Armageddon and they are doing a time travel event back to the events of MK1, MK2, and MK3.

He also says, you're gonna be seing alot of events from the first three games with a new twist on it, differrent events happening. Like a 'Back to the Future' approach to the series.

(I guess that kinda explains why characters from MK4-MKA make appearances.)

[video]http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6265851/?tag=top_stories%3Bplay_btn%3B1[/video]

Ed Boon says The game starts at the end of Armageddon and they are doing a time travel event back to the events of MK1, MK2, and MK3.

He also says, you're gonna be seing alot of events from the first three games with a new twist on it, differrent events happening. Like a 'Back to the Future' approach to the series.

(I guess that kinda explains why characters from MK4-MKA make appearances.)

interesting

Last edited:
It seems they are not adding any new characters. And that they're using characters from MK1-MK3 only.

There was somethind in that article that caught my eye

We're also talking about a new take on the series' story. "Mortal Kombat has this timeline - eighteen years of making games, and we really didn't want to just continue, like, chapter seventeen of the whole story," says Ed Boon, the co-creator of the series. "So we're kind of doing a Back to the Future type of thing, where Raiden is about to be killed by Shao Kahn, and just before he delivers the last blow, he sends a mental message to his earlier self, so the camera rewinds back to Mortal Kombat 1. The Raiden from back then gets a message and he doesn't know what's going on, but he knows something bad's going to happen, and the game spans Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3, retelling the story with an enlightened Raiden, and he's changing the course of things, so everything you've seen happen before – Liu Kang winning, the guys turning into cybernetic ninjas, are changed around, so you might see a character become cybernetic who wasn't before, and so you see a different version [of events]."

What a terrible explanation. The story is a very contrived excuse to explain why we're getting a rehash of the same 'ol characters. I would have accepted the explanation that the series ended with Armageddon, and that this is simply revisiting and remastering the early days of the series. But this is, without a doubt, the worst story-telling in the entire series.

That being said, the game itself shows a lot of promise. I can't wait to play it; hopefully, we get a demo.

Jenga!

NAh but this sounds fun, and it explains why Deagon and Reiko are beating the heck out of each other in the background of the pit 2.

Oh and BTW, flux capacitor...that is all.

Ed Boon also said: "So we're kind of doing a Back to the Future type of thing, where Raiden is about to be killed by Shao Kahn, and just before he delivers the last blow, he sends a mental message to his earlier self, so the camera rewinds back to Mortal Kombat 1. The Raiden from back then gets a message and he doesn't know what's going on, but he knows something bad's going to happen, and the game spans Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3, retelling the story with an enlightened Raiden, and he's changing the course of things, so everything you've seen happen before – Liu Kang winning, the guys turning into cybernetic ninjas, are changed around, so you might see a character become cybernetic who wasn't before, and so you see a different version [of events]."

Ed Boon also said: "So we're kind of doing a Back to the Future type of thing, where Raiden is about to be killed by Shao Kahn, and just before he delivers the last blow, he sends a mental message to his earlier self, so the camera rewinds back to Mortal Kombat 1. The Raiden from back then gets a message and he doesn't know what's going on, but he knows something bad's going to happen, and the game spans Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3, retelling the story with an enlightened Raiden, and he's changing the course of things, so everything you've seen happen before – Liu Kang winning, the guys turning into cybernetic ninjas, are changed around, so you might see a character become cybernetic who wasn't before, and so you see a different version [of events]."

I put that in one of my posts.

I think it's a great idea and allows them to reboot the series without ignoring the old storyline! :grin:

I really hope we get a konquest mode like MKD so you can explore the world of MK more during this time period.

I really hope we get a konquest mode like MKD so you can explore the world of MK more during this time period.

good idea. i would also like to see a konquest in this one. i just hope it will be longer and better than in deception. it should be like a 2 disc game, like 1 disc just for the conquest. thats how big i want it to be. what do you think?

I wouldn't bet anything on that one. They already have the story mode which will probably be cinematic like that one in MKvsDCU. I don't see them having a konquest mode.

No one is going back in time... the story begins with raiden about to be defeated by shao khan, then he sends a telepathical messege to his past self. His past self, "enlightened Raiden", will try to stop shao khan with the knowledge of the future.

I wouldn't bet anything on that one. They already have the story mode which will probably be cinematic like that one in MKvsDCU. I don't see them having a konquest mode.

I agree. If we were getting a Konquest mode, Ed probably would have referred to it as such. "Story mode" basically just implies what we got in MK vs. DC.

I'd love to be wrong and get a full-blown Konquest mode like we got in Deception, though.

I agree. If we were getting a Konquest mode, Ed probably would have referred to it as such. "Story mode" basically just implies what we got in MK vs. DC.

I'd love to be wrong and get a full-blown Konquest mode like we got in Deception, though.

Enough with all the side crap. Cant they just focus on making the best fighting game they can?

Then make another adventure game, please

I'm still a bit confused by why Raiden would wait until now to do this. Couldn't he have done it a lot sooner and saved everyone the headache of going through what they have for the games after MK3?

I hope they are just calling it Story Mode to make players think it won't be a full blown Konquest like MKD.

Didn't Ed mention something about MKD style Konquest some time ago?