NetherRealm Studios to release Mortal Kombat in March 2011

OMG OMG just saw the newsflash !! freakin' awesome !!! I totally love what Netherrealm Studios has done with the franchise, they revamped the classic characters and arenas... I normally don't like Johnny Cage but with his prison style tattoo on his chest, hell yeah baby!!

Looks great...

Bit disappointed by the release date. March 2011... hope they deliver some demo around Christmas... would be great...

I'm hoping they form the roster based on moves instead of simply storyline. As good as the story may be, MK was never popular because of the story, or any game for that matter.

Bit disappointed by the release date. March 2011... hope they deliver some demo around Christmas... would be great...

Honestly, I have the opposite reaction to the release date. It is a while to wait, sure, but consider that this could essentially be the first MK game ever not to be rushed out because the publisher is in the red and needs their big cash cow out on store shelves. This could be the first MK game ever that contains every last detail the creators intend it to have, and the first without more lost concept art with the depressing tagline of "we wanted to put this in, but it was cut due to time constraints".

I do hope they do a beta, etc kinda thing. sorta like what they did in the arcade. Release MK9 Rv1.0 to BETA. Use it for offline play only. Rv1.1, with any fixed issues found. THen after Rv1.2, take it online. Find any glitches with gameplay and networking, release Rv2.0. do a couple revisions testing online things, gameplay, then in March release Rv3.0.

and just because 3.0 is released doesnt mean anything. Giving it to the masses can result in finding all sorts of problems. So take it and patch as it goes, fixing issues etc.

And of course release any DLC along the way as well, testing it too.

Nice looking game, best yet, awesome. Like Kahn's arena with the crowd and the moon and the rest but not really on J. Cage's look.

Nice looking game, best yet, awesome. Like Kahn's arena with the crowd and the moon and the rest but not really on J. Cage's look.
What? Johnny Cage has the HOTTEST look in the MK trailer. At least his body and his pants, which makes his @$$ really sexy. Now Mileena is HHHHHHHHOT for a girl. However, I'm expecting Jade to be even sexier than Mileena once she appears in this game.

Cage looks dorky with the spandex pants and the tat looks like an afterthought. Perhaps some black and blue, karate-style pants would be a little more modern, but then he'd look like he was biting Kang's style. Other than his appearance, I don't see anything wrong with him, tho.

I wonder if they're gonna have the other Pits, too?

seeing as they re did the mk1 stage with shang in the thorn, and the rooftop looks like the mk3 rooftop stage

im hoping they redo the pit 1 & 3 and the courtyard similar to kahns area, maybe have the monks doing the humming thing, or just cheering

so happy there no more cicular areas, that bothered me soo much

why they have to fight in a circle? much better now

I REALLY hope they get the music right this time the music hasn't sounded good since Trilogy and DA IMO

Also they really need to get that Hell looking stage with the towers of bones and Lake offire (It's in MK Trilogy)

Really Looking Forward To This One

I REALLY hope they get the music right this time the music hasn't sounded good since Trilogy and DA IMO

Also they really need to get that Hell looking stage with the towers of bones and Lake offire (It's in MK Trilogy)

Really Looking Forward To This One
I agree about Scorpions Lair stage. Considering how nice the Cathedral stage was in MK3, I can only imagine how beautiful it would look in 3D. The Graveyard and Belltower would also be really nice. If anything, I'd like to see just about all of the old school MK stages remade. The only ones I don't really care about are the portal stages (red in MK2 and blue in MK3), the Armory (it's interesting, but it's been redone many times), Shao Kahn's cave (MK3) and Sky Tower (MK2).

I agree about Scorpions Lair stage. Considering how nice the Cathedral stage was in MK3, I can only imagine how beautiful it would look in 3D. The Graveyard and Belltower would also be really nice. If anything, I'd like to see just about all of the old school MK stages remade. The only ones I don't really care about are the portal stages (red in MK2 and blue in MK3), the Armory (it's interesting, but it's been redone many times), Shao Kahn's cave (MK3) and Sky Tower (MK2).

Dam how cud I forget the Graveyard!! Nothing shouts out death more then a Graveyard for petes sake im so dumb lol...

Anway Scorpians Lair is a must....

1.png

2.png

imagine that in 3D Visuals ^^^^^ woooo sexy.....

Last edited:
Acewildcat here. Creator of Supermans Inf in MKDC and legendary MK warrior.

My list of failures for this upcoming MK release:

Nightwolf - Fail.
Johnny Cage - Fail (unless he brings back the nut cracker then pass)
Large character roster featuring previous characters - Fail. (Midway just did this in Armageddon.)
No Blood - Fail (I am worried that I seen very little blood in the trailer. Perhaps they will show the beginning and then black out the violent parts as they did with the joker fatality in MKDC after boon promised there will be blood.)
Cartoony looks and hyper fast gameplay - Fail. (Thats why we all bought street fighter)
This is NOT a "reinvention or reboot" - Fail. (Its obvious, WB now calls the shots. this is no reboot. Its a rehash.)

Conclusion: MK had a chance to win back the hearts of the original fans with a dark and gritty reboot. but chose instead to go back 10 steps and repackage an old game. The creators of the recently released Mortal Kombat movie teaser trailer should be applauded for putting in the only real creative efforts. In fact, ed boon should fire the current staff and hire the people involved in the creation of that movie trailer.

THE END.

There's always one.

Fine, don't buy it. I'll be enjoying it.

And the lack of gore in the trailer is probably to protect the eyes of curious youngsters. And besides, a lack of blood doesn't make a game any worse. Otherwise, we wouldn't have all bought Street Fighter IV, would we?

Legendary warrior? Bahahaha. That's some corny shit right there, especially for someone who likes boring, slow-paced fighting.

Excessive blood is no more realistic than cartoony looks. You don't regularly see blood spurting everywhere in real life fights, ya know.

This game isn't being done to appease the 3D MK fans, it's being done to appease us old-school, 2D fans. Don't like it? Don't play it. That's what we've been doing with the MKs from the last decade. :)

It sucks we have to wait until next year. They said a while back that this would be ready for the holiday season 2010.