NetherRealm Studios to release Mortal Kombat in March 2011

did anyone else notice the fact that Shao Kahn looks the SAME as he did in MK vs DCU?
If you look at when it starts showing off the characters at 00:37, you'll notice that it's the same costume!

the only reason I'm only pointing that out is because there's nothing else to point out!

it's almost FLAWLESS!

Did you guys know that Kira was tied up in the chains in Shao Kahn's Battle Area, replacing Sonya? You can see her towards the end of the video behind Kung Lao after he does his Buzzsaw fatality.

Its nice to know your not ignored when you point something out in a thread... So someone else posts the same thing believing to have been the first to point it out to everyone else. It kind shows you didn't read the thread. >_<

Excuse the half rant, its 23:34 and my mind is telling me "sleep".

I hope at least all the characters from MK1-UMK3 are all in the roster. The game after this one should have newer characters.

Updated to include less/un-compressed 720p video.

If your computer can handle it.....OMG!

Last edited:
All I have to add is; that Sub-Zero special on JC is wickedly brutal. Stabs him then snaps the blade, vicious!

This was passed to me through a friend:

330yb9e.gif

Wonder what it is. Doesn't look like a fatality, but there is an awful lot bleeding from the face.

Re: Mortal Kombat game trailer just revealed!

Some dreams do come true.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and claim this as my pick for best game of 2011. =P

Just a bit of a wild guess, but that looks like some sort of new spin on Brutalities, Daisuke. I hope they do something with more detail like that than the needlessly gigantic combo they were in Trilogy.

Last edited:
Re: Mortal Kombat game trailer just revealed!

Combo System looks solid and so are the animations! I might actually consider buying a console just for this game!

Updated to include less/un-compressed 720p video.

If you computer can handle it.....OMG!

I thought it was just me... holy crap. My PC never has trouble running 720p media, but this video just kicks its ass. I guess that's the spirit of MK right there.

I can't view it on my 360 either. :(

The only thing I don't like is that it looks like it's gonna have dashing instead of running. (The part where Kung Lao is chasing an airborne victim shows him doing a lounge.) Dunno if I like that.

I'd prefer a run button over "tap forward twice" myself. I don't know why, but when a dash move is input that way, I'm just not very likely to use it.

O.M.G!!!! Finally we get a glimpse of the game we've all been waiting for, and I must say I am beyond impressed with the way this game is looking. I am loving the combination of 2D and 3D merged into one, the combos look hella awesome, the graphics are stunning, and the characters shown thus far in the trailer look amazing. I know a lot of people are wondering where Scorpion, Kitana, Liu Kang, and others are, and my guess is the NetherRealm studios MK team is going to be revealing them overtime through new in game footage or high resolution renders the same way they revealed the MK vs DC roster.

I'm looking forward to finding out about the new in game mechanics, by the looks of things they did not adapt the free fall Kombat from MK vs DC, but that shot of Johnny Cage landing blows on Sub-Zero that actually show up like an X-Ray, showing the internal damage being done, look like an updated version of close-kombat to me, that or (as someone has already stated) an updated version of the Brutality finishers. I really hope that they have given Reptile his human form back for this game, his raptor like appearance in last few titles hasn't been my cup of tea. My only complaint at this point would be the release date, because I was so hoping to be able to play the game at least sometime this year, so I'm kind of bummed about that. March 2011 seems so far away, especially when you're waiting impatiently for something as awesome as MK to be released. Nevertheless I'm sure they will be fine tuning and making the game look its very best during the time period between now and the release date. I can't wait for this game! And I can't wait to see what Kitana looks like!

I counted a total of 13 characters in the trailer. Beginning with Shao Khan, Raiden, Johnny Cage, Sub-Zero, Kameleon, Nightwolf, Mileena, Sektor, and Kung Lao. Then in the pit background stage at approximately :58 secs you can clearly see Deagon and Reiko fighting. Then in Khan's Arena stage at 1:00 minute you get a glimps of Li Mei, and then at 1:06 minutes a shot of Kira.

I counted a total of 13 characters in the trailer. Beginning with Shao Khan, Raiden, Johnny Cage, Sub-Zero, Kameleon, Nightwolf, Mileena, Sektor, and Kung Lao. Then in the pit background stage at approximately :58 secs you can clearly see Deagon and Reiko fighting. Then in Khan's Arena stage at 1:00 minute you get a glimps of Li Mei, and then at 1:06 minutes a shot of Kira.

Li Mei and Kira tied up heh? Looks like they are about to suffer from some ryona. :laugh:

Look promising so hopefully it'll deliver. But the release date isn't the greatest given that Gears 3 at the very least is released then, and possibly Killzone 3. Capcom nailed SFIV's release date last year since it was the only good thing in Feb.

More to the point, it'll be competing directly with Marvel vs. Capcom 3, which is perhaps the worst thing it could possibly do.

And whoever mentioned Li Mei and Khameleon, I think you must be sorely mistaken. I can't see them anywhere. I can see a really generic looking woman behind Kira, but that's it.

Good spot on Daegon and Reiko though. With seemingly random characters popping up in the backgrounds, it seems to me that there might be a lengthy konquest mode, with the character models used in that being re-used in stages, like in MKD.

And using characters like Daegon makes me think it won't be a reboot. But even if it is, that could be the 'unforeseen event' at the end of MKA, a time-slip back to the first tournament, or going by the MKII arenas, the initial stages of the war, in an attempt to change the course of history. but who can say?

EDIT: If this is a reboot completely seperate to the other MK games, we're going to have to start numbering the universes like in Marvel and DC. There's the mainstream series universe, the new series universe(sort of like 'Ultimate' from Marvel), the MK vs. DC Universe... er... universe, the Shaolin Monks Universe, plus the films, comics, Conquest and Defenders all have seperate continuities. Things are getting compli... sorry, komplikated.

Last edited: