A trip down memory lane: MKM Sub Zero.

Umon Daisuke

I was going through my collection and found the PS1 version, so I thought I'd give it a spin and.... The game certainly wasn't well received by gamers or critics in 97 but I liked it and it remained a guilty pleasure for some time thanks to the live action FMV's.

As soon as I started playing, every single flaw stuck out and hit me over the head like a frying pan. The music is still pretty good and the abilities (like the polar blast) are neat but everything else ranging from AI to the platforming is quite bad even for a 13 year old game. The repetitive level design doesn't help much either.

Still, I pulled through and enjoyed the FMV's again. Can't imagine myself enjoying the N64 version because of their absence. It's still a guilty pleasure.

Any other... "fans" around?

I tried REALLY hard to enjoy it, but the controls ruined it. I think it would've been a really good game, had it not been for that.

I've played it half a dozen times myself. My latest run had some kind of glitch where I couldn't pick up the triangle symbol in the wind stage...so I haven't played it in a while.

However, I remain a fan to this day and will defend MKMSZ. The plot and characters for it are phenomenal (it introduced Quan Chi and Shinnok after all). And the FMV cutscenes have already been mentioned...those are just the icing on the cake.

Yeah, the controls and AI were very poor and made what could have been a decent game awful.

I loved this game, yet I pretty much agree with everything that's been said. The controls were pretty god-awful, and I always got lost at the water sewers/ place. It had its cool moments and definitely annoying moments (the stage where you fight Fujin was a nightmare). Ugh, and the last boss fight was... terrible, to say the least.

The PS1 version was always the way to go too (I was a sucker for the FMVs as well), I could never go back to the N64 version. Funny, how such a piece-of-shit game is something I cherish only because its cool for a couple hours haha. Its a love/hate thing. :-D

I demand a remake!!! :)

Some people say that this game sucks, but for me they're the one who sucks.I really love this game. I still have PSX emulator and MKM: Sub zero rom. I really treasure this game.

I loved the game when I was a kid, but unfortunately I owned an n64 so I couldn't watch the videos. I went to play the ps1 version so I could experience the videos but its gonna be tough. The cheap ai I can deal with cuz mk's ai has always been cheap, but the platforming is rough. I will play though. I thought at the time the game was actually pretty good. It obviously hasn't aged well though.

I can understand why most poeple don't like this game but to me personally, I think it's a good game. Nothing spectacular, I'd give it a 7,5 out of 10. I always liked the music, cut scenes of course & even the repetitive backgrounds. I also like this games take on what the NetherRealm looks like, I wish they would've stuck to it in the later games.

I was going through my collection and found the PS1 version, so I thought I'd give it a spin and.... The game certainly wasn't well received by gamers or critics in 97 but I liked it and it remained a guilty pleasure for some time thanks to the live action FMV's.

As soon as I started playing, every single flaw stuck out and hit me over the head like a frying pan. The music is still pretty good and the abilities (like the polar blast) are neat but everything else ranging from AI to the platforming is quite bad even for a 13 year old game. The repetitive level design doesn't help much either.

Still, I pulled through and enjoyed the FMV's again. Can't imagine myself enjoying the N64 version because of their absence. It's still a guilty pleasure.

Any other... "fans" around?

I LOVE this game!!!

I thought I was the only one until I came here.... this game was awesome!

I loved the game back then. But sur the fact that it was the first adventure MK game, and that Sub Zero was the star of it played some role sure. I still have it and put it on my ps2 sometimes. It has some flaws, but the cut scenes were amazing, the story also, and it was so amazing the fact that it expanded the myth of MK. Plus Quan Chi and Shinnok were great. Such a shame for Shinnok in MK4.

Something else... why there's a forum for SM and not this one?

Something else... why there's a forum for SM and not this one?

Because Shaolin Monks was awesome. :laugh:

On a serious note, though:

Sub-Zero is my favorite character in the entire MK universe, but this game was "meh," at best.
Back in the day was OK but I tried replaying it again, a few weeks ago, and good lord the nostalgia just doesn't hold up.
It was OK for the time, but unfortunately it didn't stand the test of time.
Don't get me wrong MKM:SZ was WAY better than MK:SF, but that's not saying much.

Honestly, the gameplay was fun, it did get a bit stale as you continued playing, but this game was awesome because of the cut scenes.

Yes. And I think that SM is not that great. But maybe it's because I play MK mostly for tthe story and the brutality, rather any other reason. Sure it was a better game, considering the gameplay. However I think it was stupid that it let you play with Scorpion and Sub Zero but therec was no difference in the story. That was stupid. Plus I don't really like Liu Kang. And the contradiction of the original story was too much for me.

SM was fine.
Aside from a few non-canon elements in the story, Shaolin Monks was pretty much on par with the MKII storyline.
I always considered those adventure games to be spin-offs, anyways.
Yeah, I agree, that they could have done better with the VO work when you picked Scorpion and Sub-Zero in MK:SM.

SM had lots of secrets and cool stuff in it, though, that made the game worth while playing again.
The co-op mode was also AWESOME.
You could unlock versus mode and the different characters for versus mode.
Some of the secrets could only be unlocked in co-op mode.
MK II was also unlockable if you did the Smoke side-missions.