Marvel vs Capcom 3 is all but official

Tim Static

(taken from EventHubs.com)

Confirming the rumors posted the other day, PlanetXbox360 reported that Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was shown at Capcom's Captivate event in Hawaii.

There's an embargo on the details, so you won't be seeing screen shots, movies and other things until early next week, but here's the notes they were able to get together.

• Confirmed characters so far are Wolverine, Spider-Man, The Hulk, Magneto, Storm and a few others will return.

• The Marvel vs. Capcom 3 development team said they will be blowing fans out of the water with the sheer number of characters this game includes on the disc.

• This will be another 2D fighter — gameplay-wise — but will be something of a cross between the original Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Street Fighter 4.

• The rumored release date is late 2010 or early 2011 on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, no plans right now for other systems.

• The game will run in 1080p resolution.

• It will be a disc-based release.

• Apparently the game will have unlockables again.

• Marvel vs. Capcom 3 will be playable at this year's E3 which is held on June 15 - 17th.

I hope Jean Grey, Elektra, Psylocke, Deathstrike, and even Paragon (Marvel Nemesis: Rise of The Imperfects) will make the roster. I also wish they make characters have finishers but I doubt that will ever happen anytime soon.

As long as the Capcom side of the roster is beefy (Akuma and Darkstalkers characters please), I'm in.

No doubt they'll be using 3D graphics for this, which is great, since I'll no longer have to care about Tatsunoko vs. Capcom being a Wii exclusive.

I hope none of this is embellished. The "number of characters" and 1080p tidbits are titillating.

Man I really want to like Capcom games like MvC and TvC...I really do. But I can't stand 'em. Hate 'em so much I could cry. I tried to play TvC at a friends house and I couldn't even make a dent. I couldn't even tell what controls did what before my character was on the floor. Can't do combos, can't transition in supers, couldn't tell you how to work a cancel. Can't do it. I'd need a month of practice to be any good at this kind of game. And I usually only play a game for 2 weeks before moving on. It's too much of a time investment when there's so much more to see and do out there. (In games, I'm not talking about exercise or ballet or something, just games)

If you get the basics of any of these games, it won't take very long to adapt to the other games. They add stuff like super movers, cancels, tag battles and air combos to drastically change the overall mechanics, but the basics have not changed since SFII. It's kinda like riding a bike.

Variety comes in when you start playing other people and that the character roster is massive.

If the game offers that degree of style I'll certainly at least try it. Plus I think I see Dante and Deadpool as silhouettes in the posters. If those 2 are in the game will be epic.

P.S. CHRIS!? Why? Where's the Leon love? Or Ashley! Her super could be "LEEEOOOOON HEEEELLLP!" It would do epic damage.

Took this from the Capcom wiki:

Capcom Roster

* Chun-Li
* Chris Redfield
* Dante
* Felicia
* Frank West
* Morrigan
* Ryu

Marvel Roster

* Captain America
* Deadpool
* Dormammu
* Dr. Doom
* Hulk
* Iron Man
* Spider-Man
* Super Skrull
* Wolverine

Took this from the Capcom wiki:

Capcom Roster

* Chun-Li
* Chris Redfield
* Dante
* Felicia
* Frank West
* Morrigan
* Ryu

Marvel Roster

* Captain America
* Deadpool
* Dormammu
* Dr. Doom
* Hulk
* Iron Man
* Spider-Man
* Super Skrull
* Wolverine

Yay! Morrigan is in it!

Morrigan was in MvC2, and TvC. I see no reason why she wouldn't be in this one. Morrigan and Felicia are the only chars from Darkstalkers that have any notoriety anymore. I'd like to see some more characters from Megaman X. Zero was a fantastic addition to TvC and I'd love to see him or X in this game as well.

Hopefully, this game is more like Street Fighter 4. I can't get into Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and think its the dumbest fighting game made since Shaq Fu.

Why on earth would they want to make it more like Street Fighter 4? We already have a game like Street Fighter 4, and it's called... Street Fighter 4. A Marvel vs. Capcom game isn't supposed to be like a Street Fighter game. That's the whole point.

Why? Because some random guy on a Mortal Kombat-based forum wished it, obviously. Haha.

I really don't understand how they'd make it follow the MvC lineage AND make it "like SF4" WITHOUT making it little more than SF4 with a gigantic roster. That's redonkulous.

Actually, both of you should try reading the information quoted in the first post of this thread, before stuffing your feet in your mouths:
"This will be another 2D fighter — gameplay-wise — but will be something of a cross between the original Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Street Fighter 4."

Therefore, some SF4 elements will be present. I'm just rooting more for the SF4 elements than the MvC2.

Also, Super Street Fighter 4 has a fairly big roster, and is just fine.

I don't know who said that originally nor whether or not they were just trying to stir up fans of SF4 who aren't so much into the "vs." series, such as yourself, but I wouldn't be so naive. We know they're using a graphic engine that's somewhat similar to SF4, but beyond that, what elements would they even begin to incorporate, honestly? I think the bottom line is that if you're hoping for well-balanced and less ludicrous game without absurd air-combos or even more absurd super moves, you can probably look elsewhere.

I got a new GI today, and they've got screenshots and gameplay notes. They've supposedly "streamlined" the gameplay for novices while not removing the hardcore feel for veterans. Instead of using different launcher buttons for each character, they've added a single button (dubbed "exchange") that will launch the opponent and have your character follow them. This button can be used in tandem with the directional button to slam them into the ground or launch them even further into the air. This can be done 3 times, total. They say that Capcom's intent is to minimize the learning curve that made more casual gamers shy away from MvC2 without dumbing down the controls for hardcore gamers.

The screenshots show similar appearance, but it looks a little more like a comic book with the special effects.

Last edited:
I don't know who said that originally nor whether or not they were just trying to stir up fans of SF4 who aren't so much into the "vs." series, such as yourself, but I wouldn't be so naive.

Well, the VS series itself is a derivative of the SF engine as it started back in the 90's :p

As far as this game is concerned, a lot of people are concerned because it's developed in-house by the team that handled TVC (hello wall to wall combos). The engine is actually MT Framework; the same one used in all of Capcom Japan's internally developed games (Dead Rising, Lost Planet 1&2, DMC4, RE5 etc.). SFIV on the other hand was developed by Dimps, another Osaka based developer comprised of former Capcom staff who worked on the SF games in the 90's. It used a proprietary engine specifically made for the game.

Yeah, they likened MvC3's gameplay to Tetsunoko vs Capcom. I was not impressed at all by TvC, so I'm a little unsure about how it will turn out, myself.

In a way, I don't want a game that someone can get the hang of after a small amount of playing. That makes it seem like I'm thinking "I've spent all this time learning these games, so how dare they make this easy on newbs!!!", but that's not it at all. The minutia makes it enjoyable, and I don't see how they can make it deep and not complex. It's kinda like mixing oil and water.

Considering all the hooplah and yearning for this game, it'll get blasted if they can't do it just right. Only time will tell.