"Going back to its 'roots'" ??

MK2 had the best cast by far. I wouldn't mind seeing every character from MK2 return, as well as a select few from MK3 onward. That means (as far as I'm concerned) Sektor, Havik, Shinnok, and Li Mei.

I think it will mostly have characters from MK1-MK4 with a few notable characters after the first four series such as Nitara and Sareena.

So, how did this work out? Hmm?

MK goes back to its roots, is now bigger than its been since the arcade days. anyone care to explain this? Especially the morons who said i was wrong?

:)

Why does it bother me so much whenever someone says the title? Seriously I have no idea why.

2hyhwrc.jpg

GoW3 was pretty effing brutal...especially the Helios and Hermes kills. But yeah, what I've seen thus far of MK9 has been way more sickening.

Dunno, I haven't seen anything to top the Cronos fingernail-rip in GoW3... The entire time I was screaming "AHHH!!! WHY AM I DOING THIS!?!? THIS IS SOOOO GROSS!"

GoW3 was pretty effing brutal...especially the Helios and Hermes kills. But yeah, what I've seen thus far of MK9 has been way more sickening.

I don't know about that. Whatever I've seen of MK falls in line with previous M rated games in the series, and they're just rendering more so you'll have a more realistic presentation. Ultimately, it's still cartoony M rated violence like say, NGII on the 360 or anime. Bloods and dismemberment en mass.

GOW3 has a dark and visceral presentation that's just downright brutal with no humour. Those two examples you mentioned were the worst, but it's not like other scenarios are any lighter in tone, like ulling a cyclops' eye or disemboweling a centaur. Doesn't help that Kratos is an asshole either :p

I don't know about that. Whatever I've seen of MK falls in line with previous M rated games in the series, and they're just rendering more so you'll have a more realistic presentation. Ultimately, it's still cartoony M rated violence like say, NGII on the 360 or anime. Bloods and dismemberment en mass.

GOW3 has a dark and visceral presentation that's just downright brutal with no humour. Those two examples you mentioned were the worst, but it's not like other scenarios are any lighter in tone, like ulling a cyclops' eye or disemboweling a centaur. Doesn't help that Kratos is an asshole either :p

I agree with this I made this point in another thread saying MK9 simply was not brutal enough

also what is NGII?

IMO the brutality of violence is directly related to how much of it is shown on screen. I've seen dozens of men shot in painful places by action heroes across the years. But compare that to Saving Private Ryan and say that seeing the aftermath of that carnage doesn't hit home so much harder. The key difference between MK9's level of violence and say, MKII's (which was the darkest before this) is that we can see much more realistically the bodily reactions of our foes as they're dismembered. It's not just a comical scream that continues long past when it should...it's not the same exaggerated motions as in MKD even. These kills are much less comical, you should be able to see that.

IMO the brutality of violence is directly related to how much of it is shown on screen. I've seen dozens of men shot in painful places by action heroes across the years. But compare that to Saving Private Ryan and say that seeing the aftermath of that carnage doesn't hit home so much harder. The key difference between MK9's level of violence and say, MKII's (which was the darkest before this) is that we can see much more realistically the bodily reactions of our foes as they're dismembered. It's not just a comical scream that continues long past when it should...it's not the same exaggerated motions as in MKD even. These kills are much less comical, you should be able to see that.

You nailed it. It doesn't have to be over-the-top ala MK3, it just has to be direct and in-your-face. Think of the original spine-rip Fatality, now just picture the logistics of it with today's technology and the flesh ripping off the shoulders, followed by the slow tugs and notches of spine coming out of the body. That's as brutal as it gets, and it's literally the oldest move in the book.

Of course, we'll still have a few funny ones, ala Sektor's homing missiles--as we should. I prefer brutal Fatalities over comical, but c'mon, who didn't love Kano's skeleton-rip upon seeing it? Love at first sight. I'll tolerate some over-the-top Fatalities.

These kills are much less comical, you should be able to see that.

They're not unlike MKII's for sure, but with technology respective to today's consoles. There is a level of exaggeration though like Kung Lao's decap then torso split, or Cage's decap then torso split. I'm not mentioning it as a negative because it's good that they're not going for an extremely dark tone like GOW3.

GOW3 had a level of interaction with the most brutal scenes you don't normally see in other games (a friend jokingly calls it Wod of Gore). For example, there is a lengthy dialogue between Kratos and Hermes (or Helios) and through a sequence of QTE's, you're essentially "pulling the trigger". Create a fatality didn't compare because of the lack of dialogue itself. To me, that's when it's most brutal.

some good points here but dude we all know MK3 was the darkest, all the stages were night and the music was much more eerie

http://www.mortalkombatwarehouse.com/mk3/ look for urself and compare to Mk2