MK1 3.1 and Turbo Ninja Emulated!

Patrick McCarron

TRMK Admin, Co-founder
Staff member
As of today, two more versions of MK1 are now emulated in MAME. The two Turbo Ninja versions are now slated to be in the next release of MAME. Thanks to our forum members zenomorp (aka MK3FAN) and MKFIX100 for donating their wares.

http://www.mameworld.info/

wuhoo!!!

congrats and a HUGE thanks to those involved for making this happen.

The preservation of these games is a big big thing, especially these rare, rare versions.

Thanks fellas. Now, time to get these roms........

This is great news. I was messing around with Turbo Ninja and remember it fondly from arcade days. It was right next to the MKII Revision 1.0 machine (yes, I said MKII 1.0). This was way back before MKII was mass circulated. Anyways...Scorpion is broken, but Sonya is still the best lol

I haven't found the 3.1 rom anywhere though...

Konqrr where did you see the game at next to MK2 1.0? Sounds like you'd have to be close to Chicago for that odd combo of rarity MK machines.

As far as the ROMs you have for Turbo Ninja are not even the "right" ones. Those ROMs that came out already were "cracked" so that owners of the game board could use them, but they also do work in MAME as a replacement ROM as MK3FAN discovered. He also released the Turbo 3.1 ROMs earlier tonight, as we just got those cracked ROMs from the MAME guys.

I went ahead and using the proper, uncracked ROMs, and a partial update to MAME added support for both clones into my own build of MAME. No need to copy over ROMs here, this is the real setup. It will be available to everyone eventually, just MAME hasn't updated themselves yet.

Here is a look at my menu:
37489578.png

Konqrr where did you see the game at next to MK2 1.0? Sounds like you'd have to be close to Chicago for that odd combo of rarity MK machines.

It was at a shop/arcade here in Taylorsville, Utah a few months before Nickelcade opened. They had Samurai Showdown II, MKII Rev 1.0, and MK1 either 3.1 or Turbo Ninja...

A few facts about the games:

MKII Rev 1.0
No "ding" sound on Danger.
Very few fatalities, Mileena/Shang only worked on one side of the opponent and not the other.
The fatalities I knew, I had gathered from the net (I think from your guide LOL) and this guy paid me $2 for every fatality that I'd tell him ^_^

MK1 Turbo
There was a laminated template on the machine that talked about a Green ninja and a separate Red ninja that you could fight against in the game. I know the Ermac rumor was proven false, but this version of the game could prove that a Red ninja was added to the game, albeit a hack.

I wish I knew how to recompile mame to my needs o_O

Congratulations to all involved for preserving this piece of MK history.

That reminds of the the different MK4 revisions i played back in the days.
I remember there was one early (first) revisions which had no ending (just a generic congratulations message) and very few characters.
Then a follow-up revision which added characters like Reiko etc.

What happened to these official versions?

And where do these MK1 versions originally come from? I assume these are hacks by someone with expensive tools. It's pretty impressive that someone back in those days was able to make such elaborate hacks. Makes me wonder what a person with todays knowledge and tools could do...