Suggestion for MK9/next MK...

Indigo

If there's already a suggestion thread, feel free to lock this one.:oops:

In Deception and Armageddon, the ladders in Arcade mode remained the same, leading to a rather repetitive single player experience. My idea is to have completely randomized ladders for the next MK (bosses would still be last, obviously).

In Armageddon, you would fight Sub-Zero (on the Warship), Scorpion (in Kahn's Arena) and Reptile (in the Bell Tower). With randomized ladders, you would fight Sub-Zero (in the Living Forest), Scorpion (in the Subway) and Reptile (at the Portal); next time you may fight Kano (in Kahn's Arena), Mileena (in The Pit) and Reptile (in the Graveyard).

Let me know what you think!

While that's not exactly a new concept (and I still don't think the MKD/A ladders are as un-random as you say) it's not really a feature you'd boast about at E3 now is it?

But anyway, if you want to know a small concept that would ever-so-greatly improve the single-player experience how about this: QUICK MATCHES vs. CPU. Every other fighter has it, why not MK? As it stands in EVERY MK game I have to make due with a repetitive arcade mode for single-player and in arcade I cannot choose my opponent.

-No crossover/vs. shit.
-Return of the Dead Pool.
-Stryker as a neutral vigilante.
-Liu Kang back in human form.
-Fujin (along with Liu Kang) leading a new crop of fighters.
-Another Konquest.
-Unlockable endings/bios, i.e. Deadly Alliance and Deception.

Deadly Alliance and Deception may not have been the greatest fighters ever, but they had the extra content nailed down flawless(victory)ly. I spent more time playing Kombat Chess than anything else in Deception. All those unlockables, konquest mode, mini-games...great stuff. The endings and bios haven't been nearly as good since Deception.

Really, I just want to see a return to the way Deadly Alliance and Deception did things. Even though they were 3D and some people (like Tim) really disliked the gameplay, the format of those games was clearly superior to all the other systems they've had. MKvDC feels so empty.

For the game not to be 2D for the sake of statisfying the few fanboys who still live in the past...

Seriously, I compare this to the DC comics. DC is moving the comics back to its old style to satisfy the few who liked how things used to be. Thats 20% of their fandom against 80% who are satisfied with things how they are now. I liken things to this because, we say we want another 2D game, I ask; do you want another 2D game, or do you just want a remake? Take note, if you say "remake", the trouble with never changing is that you soon get boring.

Deadly Alliance and Deception may not have been the greatest fighters ever, but they had the extra content nailed down flawless(victory)ly.

Really, I just want to see a return to the way Deadly Alliance and Deception did things. Even though they were 3D and some people (like Tim) really disliked the gameplay, the format of those games was clearly superior to all the other systems they've had.

Exactly, and specifically with how challenging Deadly Alliance is; you had to log in some serious time and skill development to unlock the entire very lengthy Krypt.

Deadly Alliance is still my favorite MK game ever.

For the game not to be 2D for the sake of statisfying the few fanboys who still live in the past...

Seriously, I compare this to the DC comics. DC is moving the comics back to its old style to satisfy the few who liked how things used to be. Thats 20% of their fandom against 80% who are satisfied with things how they are now. I liken things to this because, we say we want another 2D game, I ask; do you want another 2D game, or do you just want a remake? Take note, if you say "remake", the trouble with never changing is that you soon get boring.

Still live in the past? MK hasnt evolved. MK hasnt gotten better.

Example: SSF2T HD Remix. A 2d fighter released the week of Thanksgiving that broke records for one week sales of a digital based (DL) game. And its still among the most played XBLA games, and was voted by the players for several XBLA awards for 08. Look at UMK3 for XBL and MKII for PSN, STILL the most DL'd/played games on each console. And now SFIV. While not using 2D sprites, the gameplay is strictly 2d and the game is huge. sold well, and is still selling well. We cant forget about King of Fighters XII which drops in 7-08-09 and will well, and attract attention. And lastly, sometime this summer, hopefully while not official, but by the end of the year, a game called Marvel vs Capcom 2 will makes its way (FINALLY to XBL and PSN), and needless to say, that game release will obliterate what STHDr did, not to mention sake the servers when it finally hits.

But seriously, MK is in need for a return to its roots. I'm not saying go back to digitalized sprites (even tho that would be awesome and finally the technology would work great with it) but its time to come full circle.

Long live MK.

Basically, to justify wanting an old-school 2D rehash of MK, your point is that other 2D games are popular and make money? 3D MK makes just as much (if not more) money as 2D, like it or not. UMKIII and MKII still make money as well, because they offer nostalgic reminders of MK's early years, and that's good business. But if the 3D model continues to make money and allows for further evolution, then there's no need to jump right back into 2D just because some people on the Internet are whining about it on message boards.

Also, you are completely submerged in nostalgia Internet fanboy land if you are honestly convinced that combo breakers, in-air combos, personalized fighting styles for each character, Konquest modes, improved character models and earning coins to unlock content are NOT improvements in a series that used to feature ridiculous things like Babalities, Friendships and Animalities.

Last edited:
Basically, to justify wanting an old-school 2D rehash of MK, your point is that other 2D games are popular and make money? 3D MK makes just as much (if not more) money as 2D, like it or not.

Again, MK cant do 3d right. The Tekken's, the Virtua Fighter's are the 3d fighters that are played at the big tournaments , not MK Deadly Alliance or MK Armageddon. why? They are broken, poorly made games. But I can already tell you cant comprehend what a broken fighter is. Google it.

Also, you are completely submerged in nostalgia Internet fanboy land if you are honestly convinced that combo breakers, in-air combos, personalized fighting styles for each character, Konquest modes, improved character models and earning coins to unlock content is NOT an improvement in the series.

1. Who ae you calling fanboy, Mr Nintendo fanboy? MKA for the Wii is garbage.

2. No, that extra crap doesnt make the fighting game better. Personalized styles were fail, didnt work. combo breakers should have been left where they belong....in Killer Instinct. Air combos are just another broken area in MKA. Extra content is great.....especially when the actual product is decent, but all that extra stuff doesnt make the game better, no.

And you might want to start learning the difference between opinions and facts. You state your opinions, and I will state the facts.

Again, MK cant do 3d right. The Tekken's, the Virtua Fighter's are the 3d fighters that are played at the big tournaments , not MK Deadly Alliance or MK Armageddon. why? They are broken, poorly made games. But I can already tell you cant comprehend what a broken fighter is. Google it.

So Kitana's moves weren't broken in MK2??? Okay, 2D was VERY broken with MK, certain characters ruled over all others and cetain elements could be exploited to the point of stupidity. We've come to completely ignore them as "norm" for the games, yet their THERE in the suttlest of forms. The 3D games are more balanced, but the times there are broken elements we tend to notice them more. why? Because they stand out a a lot more in them thats why!

1. Who ae you calling fanboy, Mr Nintendo fanboy? MKA for the Wii is garbage.

Ditto agreement since my bro has one... Once you get past the family and kiddie games, there isn't room for much serious stuff. I never brought it on the Wii, poorer graphics for the sake of ONE extra character = not worth it.

2. No, that extra crap doesnt make the fighting game better. Personalized styles were fail, didnt work. combo breakers should have been left where they belong....in Killer Instinct. Air combos are just another broken area in MKA. Extra content is great.....especially when the actual product is decent, but all that extra stuff doesnt make the game better, no.

But it does make it interesting. Now let me put something on the table here. Once upon a time, MOST fighters were the same. These days a series needs something to seperate itself from other games... And other parts of the series. Street Fighter series gets faster for every game released. Minus a few rotten apples in the barrel take in mind.

And you might want to start learning the difference between opinions and facts. You state your opinions, and I will state the facts.

This comment is very interesting, because far your opinion is "2D = great" but "3D= not a chance". Very "pot calling the kettle black" Tim and I hate to say it, if you really like something, you can't help but being baised, and thats what your doing Tim I'm afriad. Everyone does it, example; I'm a Sonic fan, so I tend to want to ignore the badness of the Sonic games and tend not to look at them so lowly as most other people. I am also an anime fan but for the life of me can't stand Naruto, so I tend to shoot Naruto down left, right and centre yet completely praise other animes as "much better". Whether or not your aware of it, you simply won't give 3D a chance because you can't move past this opinion of yours, its embedded into you. MK Vs DC, MK4 - both were like 2D fighting, but BOTH have a consideration for 3Dness. Like it or not, 3D is here to stay, its something we've all had to accept and move on with.

There have been good things about the 3D MK's you completely ignore them. You simply pick up on the bad stuff because your stuck as an old MK 2D fanboy. So in mind, regardless of what WE say, your going to never change, its pretty pointless arguing with you Tim, so we might as well end the stupidity of it here. Tim, for once in your life say how you can dam well improve the 3D since we're stuck with it instead of just throwing in a "I'm stuck in the past" comment and do the ra-ra-ras for 2D. We're not here to discuss 3D Vs 2D, but thats what we're falling into here, so please can you move on from 2D lust and move onto other things? This is getting VERY dull listening to you always say this kind of thing over and over.

Edit:
Now the rants over with Tim and I've huffed and puffed a little, I will agree on Tim about chasing up its old roots... But only when it comes to storyline improvements, better flowing moves... Etc,etc. I'm not referring to the formentioned things I had a go at Tim for just now.

Alright, considering you quoted a post that wasnt even directed to you...

So Kitana's moves weren't broken in MK2??? Okay, 2D was VERY broken with MK, certain characters ruled over all others and cetain elements could be exploited to the point of stupidity. We've come to completely ignore them as "norm" for the games, yet their THERE in the suttlest of forms. The 3D games are more balanced, but the times there are broken elements we tend to notice them more. why? Because they stand out a a lot more in them thats why!

MK2 is certainly not broke, and Kitana isnt even the best character in the game, MAYBE 5th, maybe...

And please, the 3d games are not more balanced....not at all.

There have been good things about the 3D MK's you completely ignore them. You simply pick up on the bad stuff because your stuck as an old MK 2D fanboy. So in mind, regardless of what WE say, your going to never change, its pretty pointless arguing with you Tim, so we might as well end the stupidity of it here. Tim, for once in your life say how you can dam well improve the 3D since we're stuck with it instead of just throwing in a "I'm stuck in the past" comment and do the ra-ra-ras for 2D. We're not here to discuss 3D Vs 2D, but thats what we're falling into here, so please can you move on from 2D lust and move onto other things? This is getting VERY dull listening to you always say this kind of thing over and over.

You can ay what you want, and think what you think, but already, everything you mentioned about MK2 and the 3D MK's being balanced are simply: False. Again, your stating opinions and I'm stating facts. Until you can even attempt to prove them wrong (aka research these things before you jump in and try to insult my intelligence), dont jump in these discussions, because you are in fact ignorant on the suject.

So, for those are "in the know", I do partake in the high level scene of the MK games, especially UMK3 and MKII. And if you'd like to know what high level play is, research it. Its not casual, its sometimes not very friendly (because if your too good, its cheating, right?)

Were not here to discuss 2D vs 3D, yet this is a SUGGESTION THREAD for the next MK game, and all I said is that I dont want the game to be anything like MKDA-MKvDC. Thats all I said, and yet you, with another insult, turned it into this.

And please, dont even try to tell me what you like, lol, i mean, with all your pointless blogging here about your pets and parents and other uselss info, you havent room to talk. So please, keep your cheeky opinions to yourself and research things before you make more of an arse of yourself.

The fact that Wii is mainly a kids-geared system has nothing to do with the fact that you get the most complete roster version for Armageddon, as well as the 15-fight Endurance mode.

And define what a "broken fighter," because no such article/"research" exists. It seems like some rambling concocted by a bitter 2D fan pissed that he's not getting another II/III rehash.

No, that extra crap doesnt make the fighting game better. Personalized styles were fail, didnt work. combo breakers should have been left where they belong....in Killer Instinct. Air combos are just another broken area in MKA. Extra content is great.....especially when the actual product is decent, but all that extra stuff doesnt make the game better, no.

The styles worked just fine, and added more depth to the characters than just a bunch of special moves. Kombo breakers were needed, and the product was decent.

you might want to start learning the difference between opinions and facts. You state your opinions, and I will state the facts.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read, especially coming from someone who sits on a high
2D horse on the ****ing Internet rambling about how much 3D MK sucks.

Guess what? "3D MK sucks" isn't a fact. Sales and people who still like it prove otherwise, but maybe you're better off residing in a 2D cacoon convincing yourself that your opinion on 3D is actually "fact."

please, dont even try to tell me what you like, lol, i mean, with all your pointless blogging here about your pets and parents and other uselss info, you havent room to talk. So please, keep your cheeky opinions to yourself and research things before you make more of an arse of yourself.

So, being what I assume is of an adult age, using "LOL" and taking jabs at a blog because someone calls you out on your shit is NOT making an "arse" of yourself?

What makes a game great is 100% (STRESS THAT) dependent on the perspective of the player, his/her goals in playing the game, and what he/she wants from it in the end. Me? I've explained plenty of times before that I prefer 3-D fighter gameplay. I was never particularly (read: any) good at 2D fighters of any kind. Had to play MK2/3 on very easy back in the day. Plus I still get my ass handed to me regularly at Street Fighter by the medium computer player and EVERY human player.

Whatever you say about the balance amongst skilled players has little application to the fan-base at large. And I can see this arguement as a perfect small-scale case of the casual vs. the pro mindset. By arguing the balance and the tricks, the infinites, and the broken characters/combos, you assume the player can actually PULL THOSE OFF. Tim, Angel, you're both clearly in the mindset that the worth of these kinds of games can only be properly judged at the tournament level of play. Where-as Kurtis here (he likes Stryker, that should tell you something about him), is obviously of the uninformed masses (little offense).

Tim here likes to play to win, he's an avid reader of Sirlin's philosophy (which I starkly disagree with on almost every level), and he likes to examine tiers and top-level players and really get to know these games.

Then there's Stryker here. I called him "casual" up above but I want it to be known that I don't mean him to be casual as in Wii-Fit casual. I mean casual in that he isn't going to put in the effort to get to the top of his game. I consider myself to be a VERY hardcore gamer, it's my life, it's what I do, I play more games than anybody I know and I'm onto the next one every couple of weeks (or sooner, depending). But I never stay on any one title long enough to be "that good". And it is that difference in goals and playstyles that distances players like me from Tim philosophically and as game critics.

My personal favorite MK games are, in this order, MKII, MKM, MKDA, MKD. Why is that? Not because of the balance I'll tell you that. It's because of the characters, the stories, the look and feel, the narration (in the case of MKM), and the content (in the case of the latter two). If I wanted to play a game with the purpose in mind of purely sport then I would play something I'm better at, and that's clearly not ANY Mortal Kombat game.

I play Soul Calibur 4, and I'm much better at it that I usually am at fighters. I trained to get better, I practiced with 2 or 3 characters and got really good with them. I played to win (in my own way) and it was enjoyable. But it was with a different goal in mind. SC4 didn't have a very good story, the endings sucked, and I didn't even understand the premise properly as I did the others. But I enjoyed the FIGHTING so much, that I kept playing for more than 80 hours. Considerably longer than average. Longer even than I spent on Kingdom Hearts 2 fully completing Jiminy's Journal (70 hours).

Now let's look at that in contrast with MKDA or MKD. I don't particularly like the fighting engine in these games either. Though it is visually appealing and the multiple fighting styles are done very well, the game is unbalanced and like most fighters I never got the proper hang of it. Onaga frustrated me to no end, never learned to beat him properly. But even though I caused myself physical harm working through the immense frustration that it took to do it, I still unlocked every bio, ending, character, costume, and extra in every Krypt Koffin I could see. And in the case of Deception I did that THREE TIMES. Why? Not because I loved the fighting, because I loved the WORLD, the STORY, the CHARACTERS, the NARRATION. Everything that Tim ignores. Everything he says DOESN'T make MKDA or MKD "better games". And don't try to deny it Tim, you said it plain as day right here:

Extra content is great.....especially when the actual product is decent, but all that extra stuff doesnt make the game better, no.

If that stuff truly doesn't make a better game, then why the hell did I keep playing? Because I'm masochistic? ....maybe.

Then there's Stryker here. I called him "casual" up above but I want it to be known that I don't mean him to be casual as in Wii-Fit casual. I mean casual in that he isn't going to put in the effort to get to the top of his game.

Hey, I'll have you know I'm at the top of my game in the 3D fighters of MK, and MK4! :-D

I'm also pretty good in MK1, and decent-good in II-Trilogy.

I consider myself to be a VERY hardcore gamer, it's my life, it's what I do, I play more games than anybody I know and I'm onto the next one every couple of weeks (or sooner, depending). But I never stay on any one title long enough to be "that good". And it is that difference in goals and playstyles that distances players like me from Tim philosophically and as game critics.

Yeah, I'm definitely not in that league.

Paint me very, very casual.

Onaga frustrated me to no end, never learned to beat him properly. But even though I caused myself physical harm working through the immense frustration that it took to do it.

Are you ****ing serious?

Just for the record, I found Moloch much harder to beat than Onaga. With Onaga, I just had to hit the Kamidogou's (sp) and whip out good combinations.

Onaga was suprisingly easy to beat with most characters without trying. This is coming from me who is keep bad as a player. I've only beaten MK:D once in arcade mode on the hardest difficulty (mosly because I couldn't be bothered to repeat my preformance).

@Tim, my talking around the site has nothing to do with this discussion at hand. In this topic I'm discussing MK and not my life. IF thats a low-life attempt to get the uppper hand at me, leave it alone will you, here I want to discuss MK. And besides I stopped doing that ages ago if you had paid attention to notice... ^_-

Tim, my talking around the site has nothing to do with this discussion at hand. In this topic I'm discussing MK and not my life. IF thats a low-life attempt to get the uppper hand at me, leave it alone will you, here I want to discuss MK.

When people's well of points run dry, they resort to attacks/personal insults.

I don't know what's worse; hurling personal insults because of video game debates, or over pro-wrestling debates. Both are pretty sad.

But...pro-wrestling teaches us that hitting people solves all problems and murder is all right as long as the cops are scared of you...Also, tone down the size of your signature. It's an eye-sore.

And as to your astonishment Styker, I find physical pain is easier to deal with. But it still hurts. I wish I'd stop doing that too. Gotta get me a punching clown. Think I'll eBay that sucker right now.

Why did this turn into a brawl?
Tim loves 2D, god knows we've all been told enough times, and Stryker loves 3D. Let's just leave it at that.
At the end of the day, who gives a shit if a game is 'broken' or not? If somebody likes a game, don't they have the right to?
Tim, don't become 'that guy' again, please.